I like Black Oxford

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Black Oxford is a solid cultivar in my area. I've never seen the first hint of any disease, and this is the second year in a row that this tree has produced a very nice crop. Leaves are super clean and fruit is much cleaner than normal for no-spray apples, with very little bug damage. Apples are on the smaller side, but still a decent size.

PS: This is one of the trees we had to move with a backhoe due to the new road coming through. It has been the most successful of all that were moved. Some of the others are doing okay as well, but my Black Limbertwig was ruined.

vdx0hcWh.jpg

sebLetWh.jpg

My black oxford typically show heavy signs of cedar apple rust on the leaves but the fruit is large and clean. I don't spray.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My black oxford typically show heavy signs of cedar apple rust on the leaves but the fruit is large and clean. I don't spray.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That is interesting. CAR can be horrible here, and this is a bad year. My Goldrush looks like it could die, but the Black Oxford is spotless.

That is interesting. CAR can be horrible here, and this is a bad year. My Goldrush looks like it could die, but the Black Oxford is spotless.

I will try and get a better picture on Tuesday when I head back to the farm to put my food plots in. This is an old picture but if you look closely in the lower left corner, you can see some distinct car spots on the leaves.

_FEEnJk1isFRhnXvYM8JAtRR1-F0yeXQR4YHI2MOwCmKuqJ-D_g7niP8xNOoVn3C1DyWuX24SkM0qCSrRxs2EAjvQGmFkVgM4ks8NV3Lkiaisp_aULDo5STX-xOfE8pBz3_jtpdpvDhHE768rcadmo_1VWTIXPYiNaORnhzZpfjLDDwAVDDA8ZhbTAanXg8vOAi58JeNxpKTW0wP3SAG2aP31orLD-3mE9mKvx5SvwnG1J_Yp96FreMzGrZ3YMUwfKGiINj7wqgu9XMc4nBX0nbyC33qF7qXOVQcg-zRaW3DE53ex5L50BOWBwlL19ds3blV_tG91xeU1jtAXwB1ASMHyA79ceeunK328PJ8mItjrIx3Bpffbj6iJZ0oOsBBk0b09_tsromZBeV9Dzojrw--ikR5QuTo8CSv1Ul9m-NhhTLTHAjoSb2SIWrbXP_1G03dDmd6uSQ-dksGz3NZOQhRunJJbdApNsdeMzX5-rXckkST-9lt7ZSNK3x_MMGh4zo_R8PRcbqdDN5T-NsA8PPu5P9ArgH_EaLo9RDg7K8drnaqeF78akjVr0Ame-ooHtnPxEpUM-0MLhHale9gyaybCknyknSpzDHGmLsj=w1238-h928-no

Thanks for the report NH. I have several 2-3 year old Black Oxfords. Hoping to see some apples in a few years.

I somewhat agree that it is "like-able". It grows good, seems to crop every year. Not a large cropper in my mind but steady. Some apples are nice, size, not large, just middle of the pack and deep color. Now the dings. The nice apples seem few compared to the mishapened ones. I only seem to get a few "trophies". The taste to me is "middling". Not a lot going on there. This year is only my 1 tree's 3rd year cropping. I'm hoping in another 5 years it comes into its own. I planted my (1) close-ish to the house figuring the deep purple black apples would be nice to look at - maybe even leave some to catch some snow. I haven't let any hang that long yet. Something to look forward to.

If it's a regular cropper and is basically clean, it would be a good wildlife apple - bad shape or not. Thanks for the info guys.

I somewhat agree that it is "like-able". It grows good, seems to crop every year. Not a large cropper in my mind but steady. Some apples are nice, size, not large, just middle of the pack and deep color. Now the dings. The nice apples seem few compared to the mishapened ones. I only seem to get a few "trophies". The taste to me is "middling". Not a lot going on there. This year is only my 1 tree's 3rd year cropping. I'm hoping in another 5 years it comes into its own. I planted my (1) close-ish to the house figuring the deep purple black apples would be nice to look at - maybe even leave some to catch some snow. I haven't let any hang that long yet. Something to look forward to.

Sorry to hear it isn't working well for you. I don't have those problems. Best wishes.

If it's a regular cropper and is basically clean, it would be a good wildlife apple - bad shape or not. Thanks for the info guys.

Yes, that is exactly how I feel. This area is tough for apple growing. Lots of apples I see others growing won't do well here. This one seems to do very well.

I will try and get a better picture on Tuesday when I head back to the farm to put my food plots in. This is an old picture but if you look closely in the lower left corner, you can see some distinct car spots on the leaves.

_FEEnJk1isFRhnXvYM8JAtRR1-F0yeXQR4YHI2MOwCmKuqJ-D_g7niP8xNOoVn3C1DyWuX24SkM0qCSrRxs2EAjvQGmFkVgM4ks8NV3Lkiaisp_aULDo5STX-xOfE8pBz3_jtpdpvDhHE768rcadmo_1VWTIXPYiNaORnhzZpfjLDDwAVDDA8ZhbTAanXg8vOAi58JeNxpKTW0wP3SAG2aP31orLD-3mE9mKvx5SvwnG1J_Yp96FreMzGrZ3YMUwfKGiINj7wqgu9XMc4nBX0nbyC33qF7qXOVQcg-zRaW3DE53ex5L50BOWBwlL19ds3blV_tG91xeU1jtAXwB1ASMHyA79ceeunK328PJ8mItjrIx3Bpffbj6iJZ0oOsBBk0b09_tsromZBeV9Dzojrw--ikR5QuTo8CSv1Ul9m-NhhTLTHAjoSb2SIWrbXP_1G03dDmd6uSQ-dksGz3NZOQhRunJJbdApNsdeMzX5-rXckkST-9lt7ZSNK3x_MMGh4zo_R8PRcbqdDN5T-NsA8PPu5P9ArgH_EaLo9RDg7K8drnaqeF78akjVr0Ame-ooHtnPxEpUM-0MLhHale9gyaybCknyknSpzDHGmLsj=w1238-h928-no

Yes I think I see a little CAR there. My Goldrush has some CAR. Thanks for sharing the info.

iTfPXq2.jpg

MdvadC1.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^^ WOW. Brother - that's a shame. Goldrush is such a 5-star eater. I wish you didn't have CAR probs. with it there.

Good Lord in Heaven that is a lot of CAR!

Good Lord in Heaven that is a lot of CAR!

Now you see why I'm always harping on disease resistant apple trees. Most of you guys up north grow that apple easily. Welcome to THE JUNGLE my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:emoji_wink:

Last edited:
I planted 3 goldrush here this year, kinda wish I hadn't now. All got slammed with car. I'll see if next year is better, if not maybe plant something else

^^^^^ Southern Pa. has lots of red cedars, so not surprising CAR hit the Goldrush. If they are at-home, eating apples, maybe try some spray regimen next spring. IMO, the taste is worth the effort.

^^^^^ Southern Pa. has lots of red cedars, so not surprising CAR hit the Goldrush. If they are at-home, eating apples, maybe try some spray regimen next spring. IMO, the taste is worth the effort.
Wonder if there's any spray that can minimize car? I just planted them this spring, maybe I should plant something car resistant in their place so I'm not fighting it forever.

Wonder if there's any spray that can minimize car? I just planted them this spring, maybe I should plant something car resistant in their place so I'm not fighting it forever.

Yes, you can essentially eliminate it through spraying every year. To each his own, but not my cup of tea. Way too many better choices for me that produce reliability without being a slave. Good Luck!

Yes, you can essentially eliminate it through spraying every year. To each his own, but not my cup of tea. Way too many better choices for me that produce reliability without being a slave. Good Luck!
Native I may replace one of them. I'm essentially only losing one season. Recommend me a variety to put in its place.

Native I may replace one of them. I'm essentially only losing one season. Recommend me a variety to put in its place.

You should get a recommendation from someone in your general area. The things that work well for me here might not work well for you. I'm trying a Sundance as a replacement for Goldrush for a late, yellow apple. It should work for you too, because it is a northern apple. I planted one last year and it is very clean this year. You can look it up and read about it on the Internet. It is supposed to be highly DR, including fireblight. However, you will never know how resistant a tree is to fireblight until it starts flowering.

Lots of other common and popular apples should work for you there too....Enterprise...Liberty...Priscialla...etc.... There are several like these that seem to do "universally" well over a large portion of the country. I think Black Oxford (as shown in my pictures above) would also be a good choice for you.

You can always later topwork anything that doesn't work. It's easy and fun.

Last edited:
I think I like your "Sundance instead of GoldRush" due to CAR idea. Sundance is close to GR in taste. Comes ripe about 2 weeks earlier than GR, which is mid October here in SE Mich. Sundance is a larger apple than GR...a bit softer and maybe a bit thinner skin. Close to Zero CAR on Sundance where as GR 20 feet away is spotted up some, not to the point of detriment but noticeable. Sundance will drop long before the ever-holding-on GoldRush.