I like Black Oxford

I know @greyphase is in PA, perhaps he should chime in.

I think I like your "Sundance instead of GoldRush" due to CAR idea. Sundance is close to GR in taste. Comes ripe about 2 weeks earlier than GR, which is mid October here in SE Mich. Sundance is a larger apple than GR...a bit softer and maybe a bit thinner skin. Close to Zero CAR on Sundance where as GR 20 feet away is spotted up some, not to the point of detriment but noticeable. Sundance will drop long before the ever-holding-on GoldRush.

That's some good information.

Those two apples really have some similar heritage. If you go back 6 generations, they share a bunch of common ancestors, and both of them have Golden Delicious as a parent. And, the great, great, great grandparents of Goldrush are the exact same apples as the great, great grandparents of Sundance.

I feel pretty good about Sundance for this area. I can already see that it isn't affected by CAR, and per what I see PRI say, I'm not worried about FB or other diseases.

We have 2 Sundance also, beside Goldrush. It's been a good choice for us so far. We have no cedars / junipers near us for miles, so no CAR probs. The Sundance just seems to do well on all fronts. No headache for us.

Who you guys getting the Sundance from?

What?!? You're really missing out not having cedars. How bout I send you up a couple hundred this spring? I may throw in some sweet gum and black locust too!
I know @greyphase is in PA, perhaps he should chime in.
I have had very little problem with CAR on any of my trees. Cedars aren't a problem in my area of Pa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I got our Sundance trees from Cummins on MM-111.

What?!? You're really missing out not having cedars. How bout I send you up a couple hundred this spring? I may throw in some sweet gum and black locust too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Well thanks Scott, but since they obviously grow much better in your ground than mine maybe you shouldn't disturb them so I'll decline your generous offer. :emoji_smile:

Is black oxford rated to grow in zone 5b/6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X - 2. ^^^^

It's grown like gangbusters for me since I transplanted mine this spring from nursery to field. Mine is on Ranetka roots.

@Native Hunter It’s been a few years since this thread. Do you have any updated thoughts on black oxford?

Thinking of adding one here in southern VA.

@Native Hunter It’s been a few years since this thread. Do you have any updated thoughts on black oxford?

Thinking of adding one here in southern VA.

Unfortunately, my Black Oxford went down in the severe storm we had two years ago. I tried setting it back up and bracing it, but with the heat of the hot summer and drought it didn't survive. Since that time I have only planted some Blue Hill trees and haven't replaced it. Perhaps in the future I will get another one. Good luck!