Mowing Clover

SmallChunk

5 year old buck +
While at the farm yesterday, I thought it might be a good time to mow my little clover plot. I know nothing about it. I mowed it as high as the deck would go.

Questions:

At what height do you mow?
I left the center of the plot to hopefully reseed itself because it's really not thick in the middle. Will that work?

I figured this was a good time to knock back the broadleaf weeds that were growing in the plot.

I usually mow mine at 4-6" just enough to knock down the grass and weeds.

You want to mow clover before the clover flowers as it keeps the clover succulent. Depending on how tall your clover gets before it flowers is when you should mow. I think in general you don't want to mow to short. For me I mowed clover so it was around 5".

Will clover reseed itself or should I mow the rest of the plot so that the weeds don't take over?

It should reseed itself.

Clover seems to fill in the gaps pretty easily so i would mow it all. Be careful as it's not the best time to be mowing anything with the little fawns laying around. I wish there was some restrictions in place for mowing in June, the fawns don't stand a chance of getting out of the way in time.

It's a very small plot and I walked it prior to using our crappy old riding lawnmower to give it a trim. Next time I am down there I will cut the rest! Thanks guys

I mowed a trail through some Durana with a lawn mower this weekend. One reason was to see how it reacted to 4 inch mowing. Other reason was to keep from getting snake bit.:D

I mowed a trail through some Durana with a lawn mower this weekend. One reason was to see how it reacted to 4 inch mowing. Other reason was to keep from getting snake bit.:D

Two years ago I mowed a trail through a 3 acre field with a lawn mower. Just the width of the lawn mower and I killed a fawn. Sickening!

Two years ago I mowed a trail through a 3 acre field with a lawn mower. Just the width of the lawn mower and I killed a fawn. Sickening!

Wow, that would be bad. I've quit driving my truck in my fields the last few days because of the fear of running over one. One doe seems to want to leave her fawn right out in the sun in the field.

When I had a clover plot back home, I'd mow it right to the ground if there was good moisture or rain coming. It always came back as long as there was moisture. It also helped to keep the foxtail and thistle under control as well. After about two mowings, it was darn near pure clover again.

Once Clover is established, seems like nothing will kill it. Not round up, lawn spray or nuclear fallout. Mowing it won't harm it at all no matter what height.

Thanks guys, on my way down to do it right now!

my only concern about mowing it real short is that you can make light available to the ground and encourage weeds. I mow mine as high as I can once it starts to flower - mostly though to control noxious weeds. I will let it flower and set seed later in the summer and fall. I prefer to maintain clover with a sprayer if possible, but sometimes that just isn't the case. I like to leave the clover as thick as I can to suppress weeds and have even hit it with a light does of gly to kill some more stubborn weeds. It will set established clover back a bit, but it tends to pull thru it.

That wood pile on the left side look's like a snake would live there. You have rattlers there?

That wood pile on the left side look's like a snake would live there. You have rattlers there?

We have copperheads, but no rattlers in my general area. But, you only have to go about 20 miles and you are into them.

Yesterday and today I was working in a place with plenty of both - the mountains of Eastern KY.

I read of some folks letting the clover set blossoms and then go to seed to thicken the plot. Is there a BEST TIME to let it go to seed ?? If mowed, will clover go to blossom / seed more than once in a summer ?? ( Don't want to blow the chance for free seed !! )

Mowed clover 6-1 to 6", was out yesterday, back to 12", do I cut again? Durana, patriot, kura, kopu II. It is in full bloom.

How about the yellowing of ladino? What are the thoughts here? The red still looks nice and green. Picture from today