Mowing annual clover

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
You always here about mowing perennial clover to help fight weeds and such but what about annual? I frost seeded some annual clover this spring in where I intend to plant brassica in early August. I’m wondering if I should mow it or will it kill it?

It's such a simple question and it seems like there should be a simple answer. But, there isn't. Oh, I suppose if you're just talking about taking off the top inch or two, it would be harmless enough - if the clover's more than four or five inches tall. Annual clovers are annuals because they don't stand up to things like grazing pressure and mowing and other stresses because they don't have an adequate natural propagation system. Good perennial clovers spread by stolons or, for lack of a better non-technical description, surface roots. Persistent perennial clovers have dense stolon production, annuals hardly any. So, yes, there is a risk. How big a risk, I dunno.

Maybe wait until you plant the brassicas and broadcast the brassicas into the clover and mow it down, do a throw and mow.

It's such a simple question and it seems like there should be a simple answer. But, there isn't. Oh, I suppose if you're just talking about taking off the top inch or two, it would be harmless enough - if the clover's more than four or five inches tall. Annual clovers are annuals because they don't stand up to things like grazing pressure and mowing and other stresses because they don't have an adequate natural propagation system. Good perennial clovers spread by stolons or, for lack of a better non-technical description, surface roots. Persistent perennial clovers have dense stolon production, annuals hardly any. So, yes, there is a risk. How big a risk, I dunno.
Yeah I think I’m just going to leave it alone.

Maybe wait until you plant the brassicas and broadcast the brassicas into the clover and mow it down, do a throw and mow.
I’ve tried throw and mow...and while it worked ok....I prefer a light surface till. I have pretty good souls so don’t need to “build” my souls like some others do.