Montana mule deer 2018

B2R

Yearling... With promise
Well I finally drew a deer tag and it’s time to start planning the hunt. The tag is a statewide deer tag and I am hoping to get my first mule deer. We plan on leaving for Montana at the end of Oct and hunting the first week of November. I love the high mountains but I am considering hunting the SE part as the area intrigued me. I have never hunted the high plains and deep canyons before and I am leaning towards trying my luck there.

Unfortunately, I live several states away and will have zero chances to scout this summer so every thing will be done by maps and computer.

I would be grateful for any suggestions on where to start my search.

We will be camping in a wall tent and plan to hike in to hunt. This will require us to pack our deer out. I am hoping to find a place without a lot of roads which should help reduce road hunters and pressuring the deer.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be giving a call to the regional biologists or the BLM biologist for any portion of eastern MT. Some areas had a very tough, long winter which was hard on the deer. It'd be worth the call to find out what the impact was in the regions/units you are interested in.

That is some neat country in that part of the state. I was lucky to be able to hunt mule deer and elk on the north side of the river last year.

Thanks for the info, I think that’s an excellent idea. I was considering buying some BLM maps as well.

I'd get the BLM 1:100K maps and depending on the nature of the specific area, the OnX gps app is very, very handy. It shows ownership and contact info of landowners.

Thanks, I have not heard of that app but I will check into it. BLM maps have been ordered and I have a call in to Biologist. Hopefully, they return my call tomorrow or Monday.

If you have somewhat specific questions, I've found email more reliable than a phone conversation. This is a BUSY time for those folks doing field work (out of the office) and the email allows them to reply when they can and not have to factor in the time difference.

Like I said, very neat country to hunt. We didn't get big bucks, but found deer as an incidental in focusing on elk.
His.
IMG_2657 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Mine. Thought it was a 2pt, but it ended up with a 3pt which was kind of a bummer...
IMG_2603 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

If you have somewhat specific questions, I've found email more reliable than a phone conversation. This is a BUSY time for those folks doing field work (out of the office) and the email allows them to reply when they can and not have to factor in the time difference.

Like I said, very neat country to hunt. We didn't get big bucks, but found deer as an incidental in focusing on elk.
His.
IMG_2657 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Mine. Thought it was a 2pt, but it ended up with a 3pt which was kind of a bummer...
IMG_2603 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Wow, great bucks. I’d be thrilled with either of them. I like the email suggestion, it maybe best as I have yet to get a return phone call. Thanks for the help and the inspiration. Congrats of the deer.

b3f9c256a8175e32a8698fc8372286ef.jpg
thanks for the advise it turned out to be very beneficial. We both killed good four by four bucks this year.
Thanks for the help.