Mock Scrapes Work!

I have always used a smaller tree - has anyone seen any difference in use based on the size of the tree? I tend to cut a sapling.....Bill seems to cut small trees!

I always figure about 32ozs about 30mins before you start your project.:D I am hoping I can put one in tomorrow.
I guess I'm going to have an excuse to drink a few beers in the process.....I'll cut the saplings first!:D

J-bird
I never tried a small branch. Maybe I'm over thinking it. But these small trees are used as rubbing posts and licking branches.

On field edges I tie small branches down that are otherwise to high to be scrape branches. The more the better, if a buck on me is wasting his daylight time he's not jumping the fence to the neighbors.

I'll have to try a small branch stuck in the ground.

this scrape is one of my oldest mock scrapes....at least that i still keep tabs on anyway. I took a maple branch that was out of reach and tied it down to scrape height (the cord has since stretched out a bit and the main branch stem has migrated higher than it used to be), then last year i decided to bend over a hickory sapling that was nearby and tie it down. the deer took to it as well, and now the pawed area under the branches grows to cover the whole area under the both branches. it forms about a 3 ft wide and 8 ft long area that gets scraped up on the ground.

This is about 16 yds from my primary stand site (back and to the right out of frame). Its along the edge of the food plot, and it at the "mouth" of a hinge cut trail i made coming up off the side hill into the bottom corner of the food plot. I have removed all other branches along this field edge that were at scrape height in order to get the "sore thumb" effect. there is an autumn olive bush in the opposite corner of the food plot (about 40 yds directly behind the deer in the pics) that i also have mock scrape under. that bush is also at the "mouth" of a manipulated trail into the food plot from the transitional cover between the plot and doe bedding area up hill about 100 yds. last year i had to tied down one of the autumn olive branches because over the years the main licking branch on that scrape has been hammered so hard that it was finally ripped right off the shrub in 2014.

MFDC0019.JPG MFDC0019.JPG MFDC0110.JPG

It's been my experience that anything smaller than about 3" will be broken off before the rut really gets going.

I've "planted' both live (in the spring) and dead (late summer) and much prefer live as they seem to last longer. But both work.

Here is a season's worth of buck pictures at one of my mock rubbing posts from a couple of years ago:

-John

here is a scrape pic from last year that i liked. the date stamp indicates about the time this scrape really starts to turn on with day time activity...and mature deer. September and October are good too....but from like Oct 25th thru the second week of November this scrape sees a huge jump in activity.

MFDC0054.JPG

sorry for all the multiple posts....this thread just got me digging back through last years scrape pics.

I had 3 encounters with this buck last year....one of which, 3 days after this pic was taken, resulted in a shot opp...as he moved past this scrape (from right to left in this pic) several yards up hill of the scrape. I grunted and bleated him in from about 55 yds out and he was looking for the buck and doe that he thought made the noises. He stopped at about 20 yds slightly quartering away, I watched in horror, in the first few minutes of legal shooting light, as my lumenock took a sharp drop directly into the dirt just in between the buck's front and back legs and bout 3 ft short of where he was standing....i ended up hitting a small branch on the hickory tree that i had bent over and tied down in place to make a mock scrape...lol. I thought he was far enough up into the plot that i would be shooting over those branches, and it was just dark enough still that i couldnt see the branches at that distance.

MFDC0036.JPG

Yep.
But I use what's close by as far as the tree goes. I try to get one with a 4" trunk, hand post hole dig about 2 - 3 feet. Get rid of all the low limbs and save a few at scrape height.

If you cut the branches of a cedar they hold up better but it takes longer for them to use it. In my experience.

This was a hybrid poplar I used last year. By November it was leaning. By spring it was on the ground.

399d495ed2bc61fc61aa6d257950b9be.jpg

This is a cedar with old rope hanging. It's been here for about 5 years. They didn't touch it for a full year. Maybe the rope stunk? It came out of the loft of my old barn. After the first year of being ignored they play with it all the time.

c87b1e1ab34a8236c1028666e0112f53.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's what she said! :)

Phil - This pic on post #30 is the first time I recall seeing in good light the surroundings at your spot. I love that brushy cover on the sidehill behind the buck. Sorry about the limb deflection of your arrow - he's a good buck in the dark pic on post #31.

I had a similar disaster 2 years ago on a dandy 8 pt. After watching the 8 pt. trash a sapling pine and then come toward my stand and work a scrape ( both natural ), he walked by my stand so close I had to stand up to shoot and when I did release the arrow, my upper bow limb hit a limb of the tree my stand was in. Loud miss !! ( I have this stand situated so that I can shoot thru either opening still sitting down ). My lack of foresight cost me a dandy 8 pt. :( That limb is no longer there !!

Keep us posted on your scrape spots on the hill. I've got to try the " planted " sapling for rubs / scrapes. They look like magnets.

A few years ago I invited a guy to hunt with me at one of our farms, so to hunt I put him to work. So one of the things we did was put in a Mock Scrape. I never took time to put them in much, but do it all the time at certain stand locations now, they work! Sorry Jordan, I posted your picture with your out authorization! LOL

Haha that was a good time!
Only modeling fee is another invite back up to shoot the shit with you sometime! Enjoy the hell out of it!

Bill - Your " evil plan " has me stoked to go put out a couple " installed trees " and see what happens. I've done mock scrapes before, but not placed trees where they hadn't been before. This will be fun to watch.

I have not had issues of mine getting broken off, but they seem to use mine more for scrapes than rubs - I may try some larger ones and see what happens. Do you guys rough up the tree - or do you simply let the deer do it?

I usually slap it around a bit, just to let it know who's boss, after that the deer keep it in line!
Ok, you know what I mean......anybody artificially create a rub on the tree?

:);)

I've never roughed them up. The deer usually end up rubbing them. But I bet it wouldn't hurt a bit to scrape the bark up a bit.

I am definitely going to be giving a mock scrape a try this fall!
I've always been curious about how guys make them and how good they work. Good thread.

Phil - This pic on post #30 is the first time I recall seeing in good light the surroundings at your spot. I love that brushy cover on the sidehill behind the buck. Sorry about the limb deflection of your arrow - he's a good buck in the dark pic on post #31.

The upper 1/3 of the property is old field that is reverting back...I'd say it hasn't been a pasture/field since the 1960's based historical aerial images and what my grandfather told me. Most of the neighboring land is the same, all the old stonewalls and fence rows are visible. The bottom 2/3's is the steep part and it is mature hardwoods.

Here is a look at the autumn olive scrape, and the mowed/sprayed trail coming into that "corner" of the plot.
5cd9aa5eacf57733683d9555d83c0920.jpg

Here is the look from the little grove of small maples that serve as a little bit of a staging area heading down into the plot. One of the primary doe bedding areas on my side of the hill is back behind me about 90 USA or so.

b07744e9bebf655b6eac1dea81d6c289.jpg

Sent from 25 ft up a tree