Mock Scrapes Work!

Does the grape vine/rope work better than leaving a branch on your rub tree at that height? I've had decent luck with a regular rub tree with a few branches to scrape, so I'm curious how the rope compares.

Not sure either. A few years back rope was all the rage. Most guys have pulled them from lack of use. I didn't have a branch at the right night so I used rope. It was old rope from in my barn. Like 50 plus years old. Probably natural fiber and it worked well after the first year of airing out.

When it rotted I needed a replacement and remembered Tap had luck with grape vine so I tried it. Can't say what's better but this is working here for now.

Same buck hit it 2 days after the first time messing with it. Also it's in a pinch point so it almost jumps on them when they squeeze by it. That may help.

image.jpeg

Not sure either. A few years back rope was all the rage. Most guys have pulled them from lack of use. I didn't have a branch at the right night so I used rope. It was old rope from in my barn. Like 50 plus years old. Probably natural fiber and it worked well after the first year of airing out.

When it rotted I needed a replacement and remembered Tap had luck with grape vine so I tried it. Can't say what's better but this is working here for now.
As far as comparing rope to vine...I would have more confidence in the vine because it's natural to the area. Bucks do scent mark on vines. Rope? Might be just as good, I don't know, but I'll go with the native product. Use the species that deer naturally want to scent mark. Grape vines, pines, oak, apple, whatever deer use in YOUR area.
I'd use rope as a last resort if I didn't have native materials.
I think they'll mark almost anything if it is hanging in the right spot. I've seen them nosing survey tape and strips of grocery bags that I use for wind indicator.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Same buck hit it 2 days after the first time messing with it. Also it's in a pinch point so it almost jumps on them when they squeeze by it. That may help.

View attachment 14276
I think the key is to get a deer, any deer, to start marking it. Once one deer hits it, I think the table is set for others to do it. They "claim" it so to speak. It's then as good as any deer-made scape.

View attachment 14276
Beautiful buck, by the way. Wish he was running around my place.

I was wondering about that. I tried rope without luck. We don't have suitable vines here so I am not sure what to use. Cut sticks dry and break. I laughed at the artificial vines on sale. Maybe I have to eat crow.

I was wondering about that. I tried rope without luck. We don't have suitable vines here so I am not sure what to use. Cut sticks dry and break. I laughed at the artificial vines on sale. Maybe I have to eat crow.
Cut a pine or oak branch (or whatever species is a common one for licking branches in your area) and wire tie it to anything to hang it where you need it.
The Daughertys have stretched wire between trees and hung the licking branch exactly over the trail that goes past the stand in the shooting lane. Bucks will stop in shooting position to check/work the branch. It's a better way to stop them for a stationary shot than grunting at them.
The point is...you don't need a a vine to make a mock, just use a preferred (for your area) species. White pine, oak, apple are good ones here.

Cut a pine or oak branch (or whatever species is a common one for licking branches in your area) and wire tie it to anything to hang it where you need it.
The Daughertys have stretched wire between trees and hung the licking branch exactly over the trail that goes past the stand in the shooting lane. Bucks will stop in shooting position to check/work the branch. It's a better way to stop them for a stationary shot than grunting at them.
The point is...you don't need a a vine to make a mock, just use a preferred (for your area) species. White pine, oak, apple are good ones here.

I tell you I'm half tempted to hang a tennis ball from a string with some deer scent on it. I think once a deer uses it, its game on with about anything hanging there.

I tell you I'm half tempted to hang a tennis ball from a string with some deer scent on it. I think once a deer uses it, its game on with about anything hanging there.
I wouldn't doubt it would get checked out. I hang strips of grocery bags in my yard for a wind indicator...I study wind patterns all the time. I've seen deer mouthing those from time to time.