Mock Scrapes Work!

Cool man! Can't wait to do a few!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep - I always start August off with mock scrapes with trail cams on them -

some of my best ones have become community scrapes - and does especially visit them all year.

Not only do they work, a couple biologist friends of mine conducted tests with trail cams. They found they were used just as much if created with human urine as with buck urine. Location and having a licking branch were the biggest drivers of use.

Not only do they work, a couple biologist friends of mine conducted tests with trail cams. They found they were used just as much if created with human urine as with buck urine. Location and having a licking branch were the biggest drivers of use.

What did you find the best location was?

And what type of tree branch lol. Leafless, pine, oak? I don't have a licking branch on my property as I didn't have a single scrape last year. I think that will change with all the work I've done to it this year, and implementation of food plots and strategically placed water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DNC

To be honest, it has been a number of years since the did the work and I can't remember all the details. As I recall, field edges and travel routes between bedding and were more effective than general hardwood flats. I think they avoided bedding areas because of the disturbance.

Thanks,

jack

my best locations are on scrapes that are there from year to year - I just get them started. Sometimes they just stay DOE scrapes until Sept - other times every deer around comes on by -

floyd%20and%20barney%208-6-16_zpsnrx5pz1m.jpg

Floyd%208-7-16_zpsnznxnfdm.jpg

Do you guys use just one brand of deer urine, or do you get several brands to " smell like a herd " ??

I tie down oak branches around here. Kill the grass with gly and pee on them when I walk by.

Literally Just finished installing this willow rubbing post/scrape tree. They just can't leave them alone when they stick out like a sore thumb.

3 more to do tomorrow.

9fbb6ca20609e75cf5dd3fff76a0519d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Steve B said it best "turd in a punch bowl". The more they stick out, the harder they are to resist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just put a scrape tree in yesterday in my brassica plot! Never tried one before! Can't wait to watch it while hunting! I've heard they really like them!

I tie down oak branches around here. Kill the grass with gly and pee on them when I walk by.

Literally Just finished installing this willow rubbing post/scrape tree. They just can't leave them alone when they stick out like a sore thumb.

3 more to do tomorrow.

9fbb6ca20609e75cf5dd3fff76a0519d.jpg

Bill what do you do, cut a willow branch and just stick it in the ground?

Walnuts are good since they loose their leaves early and get more sun to the ground. Edges of timber are best early spots. Once you get an eye for licking branches you will start noticing them along certain areas all summer.

That is what I do but I use popple. I have eyed up a couple branches on a big hybrid poplar tree that I am going to use this year.

Yep.
But I use what's close by as far as the tree goes. I try to get one with a 4" trunk, hand post hole dig about 2 - 3 feet. Get rid of all the low limbs and save a few at scrape height.

If you cut the branches of a cedar they hold up better but it takes longer for them to use it. In my experience.

This was a hybrid poplar I used last year. By November it was leaning. By spring it was on the ground.

399d495ed2bc61fc61aa6d257950b9be.jpg

This is a cedar with old rope hanging. It's been here for about 5 years. They didn't touch it for a full year. Maybe the rope stunk? It came out of the loft of my old barn. After the first year of being ignored they play with it all the time.

c87b1e1ab34a8236c1028666e0112f53.jpg

Guess I have a weekend project now......better drink lots of water!:D

Ha!

I put this Charlie Brown tree in at 3:30 today.
I was sweating like crazy, the thing has to stink.

26cb7453bbd6975e289fdcb5f3dd9a6d.jpg

8:10 tonight, the first moth to the light.. Wish they all worked this good.

f54b99798f53e0231b73f5b636048dd4.jpg

6cfb30b67eb1a61c755da07eedd340b4.jpg

Guess I have a weekend project now......better drink lots of water!:D

I always figure about 32ozs about 30mins before you start your project.:D I am hoping I can put one in tomorrow.

Sometimes when a full grown tree appears where there wasn't one your whole life.

It's kinda freaky.

85ea0b95daa6d781bd4248959ae1585d.jpg

5273ed99ba6d42e5758a8051ae9099b4.jpg