MN regs are in stores

I always wonder about this myself in the area I hunt (214). It always seems to have higher then normal deer harvest numbers and I question if people in adjoining units aren't registering them in 214. Wish they would have left it hunters choice. Now the Amish can double the deer they take. My one neighbor shot 5 deer last year and was complaining that he couldn't shoot any more because of the 1 deer only hunters choice.

You should punch your neighbor in the balls.

I stand behind you guys. You really got the shaft in this. I will be sending some emails and using examples for 172, 214 and 215. Love how it just happens that 2 of Beaus areas are ones right in the spotlight of the BS.

That guy is something else. There is no question in my mind that he didnt have a very direct impact on Managed designation. You know he is driving the numbers down just as several of you have pointed out. Then he gets his Stakeholders and gets a 25% increase and it puts him right where he wants it for the foreseeable future.

Yep the DNR has their foot on the gas, for deer removal. They are not going to change a thing until they absolutely have too.

I still firmly believe it has nothing to do with deer management and everything to do with a concerted effort, of the combination of Big AG, Timber and Insurance. And we are finding out they can care less about any deer hunters in this state! Pretty sad!

The least round of stakeholder meetings did not go well for the DNR where the info packet was reviewed and the BS flags waived.

Hunter satisfaction surveys are likely already sent out for zone 214/215 if they were scheduled for next spring and delayed. They will tell a story that needs to be shared. I would file an info request with Sheila Deyo for these results to get them or they won't likely be announced until next July, and it will be too late to do anything.

The least round of stakeholder meetings did not go well for the DNR where the info packet was reviewed and the BS flags waived.

Hunter satisfaction surveys are likely already sent out for zone 214/215 if they were scheduled for next spring and delayed. They will tell a story that needs to be shared. I would file an info request with Sheila Deyo for these results to get them or they won't likely be announced until next July, and it will be too late to do anything.

Of Course, and the DNR knows that!

Stu

You are managed?? You have a lottery area on your eastern boundary, and you are a 2 deer area just across that magical highway.

Lots of deer from 221 'E Checked' into unit 215 this fall.

The only shot deer hunters have, and I mean the ONLY shot we have in MN, is herd management by Hunters and Land owners!

Nothing else will work after seeing this.

The writing is on the wall for that.

I have already made the decision to leave all my corn stand this year to offer some protection for the deer from my A-Hole, kill em all neighbors. Won't help much, but it will help!

The only shot deer hunters have, and I mean the ONLY shot we have in MN, is herd management by Hunters and Land owners!

Nothing else will work after seeing this.
Lawsuit by Mn deer groups is what I'm hoping for. But that ain't gonna happen. If only QDMA would save us!

Lawsuit by Mn deer groups is what I'm hoping for. But that ain't gonna happen. If only QDMA would save us!

You already know that answer!

But I would think MDHA better be up in arms at some of what is in the new regs.

Their response will definitely be of interest to me

Will it mean that you may stay active as a member if they come out with a response, or tell them to go fly a kite if they say nothing about these new regs?

I can tell you right now Merchant is a liar. Or has embellished those numbers!

you can email it to me Stu.

I can post them. I have a snip tool that I can copy a segment of a picture and simply paste it in a reply and post it. no need for photo hosting sites at all.

Does the DNR do any data processing and thought about the numbers of hunters?
215 has nearly 20% more firearms hunters now than there were less than 10 years ago...... And they keep on saying the harvest levels indicate stability, bla bla bla....

It takes 20% more guys with guns to shoot fewer deer than 10 years ago...... They are very good at forgetting this point in many of the central hunting areas.....

To me this is a HUGE indicator that something is wrong. You should not need 20% more guys covering turf just to achieve a similar harvest level....

Ask Merchant for a chart showing the firearms hunter numbers for those same years..........

upload_2015-7-28_16-15-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-28_16-14-37.png
    upload_2015-7-28_16-14-37.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 2
Dear Mr. Smith:

In response to your questions, permit area 221 has a lottery designation in 2015 because its new population goal is 16 to 20 deer per square mile, a significant increase from the previous goal, and we need a conservative antlerless harvest in order to grow that population to goal.

Permit area 215 on the other hand has a population goal (established in 2007) of 10 to 13 deer per square mile, and the current population according to both modeling and harvest data suggest the population is above that. We need a more liberal harvest in order to bring that population down to goal.

Permit area 214 has a population goal of 16 to 20 deer per square mile, but modeling and harvest data also suggest a population above that goal, so again we need a more aggressive antlerless harvest.

I have attached some pertinent graphs that may help you understand our decision making.

Sincerely,

Steve Merchant

2009-2014 showed DPSM was flat at 10 DPSM... With this model anyways... Only wrote in years for the far right columns.

215.JPG

So I did a little looking at what the 1500 doe tag lottery means for us in 249, and found that in 2012 there were 1116 bucks tagged, 647 adult does, 264 male fawns, and 207 female fawns taken. We were Managed in 2012 IIRC. So while we have lottery status for 2015, we have a tag number in excess of the antlerless harvest in a Managed year? WTF??

I will get the rest up in an hour or so Stu.

Reply to Mercant and ask for hunter numbers on a graph.... total bs.