Mn gun opener

I spent a little time trying to find his 40 this morning haha. He shot an absolute freak in 2014 at what sounds like a different parcel too..

I think he is the county assessor? Probably has a pretty good feel for land down there!
Freakier than his 237?

Freakier than his 237?

Holy piss. This guy shot 200”ers on consecutive years from the same 40..

Think I need to start looking more in SE MN.. Also, I’d not want my 40 to have that kind of publicity unless I were selling!

There’s a family by Long Prairie Mn that shoots Booners frequently! My brother in law lives 2 miles from them.

They were featured on the Realtree website a few years back. I think they have around 600 acres, great mix, with some swamp. They bow hunt only ! All the deer pile in there during gun as well. That’s what I’ve heard !

No doubt in my mind, if I had 640 acres in Minnesota where a couple of my farms are located, I’d have some 170+ inchers. Big tracts can surpass bad regulations!!

**I actually do have one 170+ hanging on my land in Minnesota but he’s a ghost! In 3 years I’ve never seen him, except trail cam pics ! We need more bucks like him !FD063E9F-BAEE-4ACD-B4A3-0E16AEDC1B6F.jpeg5953FECB-63EE-421D-B79F-58B8A5D0A2CA.jpeg

Cow farts

One is a little easier to prove than the other. Between radio and gps telemetry, 8 billion trail cameras, thousand upon thousands of hunters, millions of residents, it would be beyond a miracle for a breeding of population of lions to be anywhere east of the Mississippi that we don’t know about. I hate its that way, I love the unknown of the outdoors but we have removed most of that cause we can.

Where does Minnesota lie in relation to the Mississippi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where does Minnesota lie in relation to the Mississippi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It starts in MN, then it goes over, up, over, down, back over the other way, down and over towards Minneapolis, then down the border with WI to IA.

It starts in MN, then it goes over, up, over, down, back over the other way, down and over towards Minneapolis, then down the border with WI to IA.

S.T. Is in the driftless region so I’m sure he’s familiar with the geographies but was likely thinking more about local to him in regards to east/west of the issipissi.

My parents neighbor's german shepherd got ripped up in their yard (north of grand rapids) this week by a wild dog. They say they have been seeing a coyote around, my mom saw it too. I told my mom most male coyotes are under 40# and I would not expect them to attack a large male shepherd. She insisted it looked way bigger than 40#. I don't think i've ever seen a coyote up there and only seen a couple on trail cams. Way fewer than wolves.

Would a lone wolf even try to take on a German shepherd?

My parents neighbor's german shepherd got ripped up in their yard (north of grand rapids) this week by a wild dog. They say they have been seeing a coyote around, my mom saw it too. I told my mom most male coyotes are under 40# and I would not expect them to attack a large male shepherd. She insisted it looked way bigger than 40#. I don't think i've ever seen a coyote up there and only seen a couple on trail cams. Way fewer than wolves.
It’s a coyote and then they can legally shoot it!

It’s a coyote and then they can legally shoot it!
Funny thing is my mom googled it and came to the conclusion it was legal to shoot wolves in defense of pets because the results from prior to relisting came up.

Federal trappers can kill a couple hundred wolves a year in MN once they kill pets or livestock but lets not let people defend their pets before they are killed!

S.T. Is in the driftless region so I’m sure he’s familiar with the geographies but was likely thinking more about local to him in regards to east/west of the issipissi.
It's West of the Mississippi

Hopefully this mild winter will help the herd !

Well I will say it can’t hurt. But I usually have deer wintering my property, lots of food options, and thick bog, and swamp. This year, I have a single doe, that’s it. Driving at deer 30, there is also 1 doe with twins. That’s all I have seen this winter. It will takes several years to recover from this one.

Well I will say it can’t hurt. But I usually have deer wintering my property, lots of food options, and thick bog, and swamp. This year, I have a single doe, that’s it. Driving at deer 30, there is also 1 doe with twins. That’s all I have seen this winter. It will takes several years to recover from this one.
I have 8-10 deer on my place. The snow is gone. There is corn left in both foodplots. Apples are still dropping and there is rye cover crop on three sides of me.

Deer numbers are down by at least half but the deer are scattered. In addition, it is now legal to feed deer and some are doing that.

I hope for a good fawn crop.

No deer are to be seen at my wife's homestead near Lake Vermillion. I remember when we would see a dozen deer each evening in what had been the summer garden each winter. Last years' winter, the property moving from early to intermediate succession, the dog that lives at the place, and the abundance of wolves and bears are all contributing factors. I too hope the mild winter will help the populations rebound. I have seen deer at the Tower park (2 miles as the crow flies), but that's about it.