All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miscanthus Giaganteus propagation from cuttings.

For those that have full grown miscanthus, is there any secondary benefit for ground birds...pheasant or quail?

For those that have full grown miscanthus, is there any secondary benefit for ground birds...pheasant or quail?

Cover ...

In a field setting it would be the bees knees. Quail poults need buch grass to be able to move around. It would fit the bill nicely and offer good overhead protection.

A screen probably isn't enough.

Ok Bill - you started this. You sent me cuttings a few weeks ago and they went straight into water like you requested and are sitting on my back deck in pretty much full sun.
MG.jpg

Well today I am noticing what I would consider decent signs of life. The upper portion (above the second "joint" is turning brown and dying. Most are showing what I assume are roots and others are growing a "green horn" but seem to be lacking the root growth. Both the "roots" and "green horn" is coming from the first "joint" above the angled cut (bottom) of the cuttings. Am I ready to pot these, do I let them grow in the water for another week, or is there something else I need to do?
MG progress.jpg

Ok Bill - you started this. You sent me cuttings a few weeks ago and they went straight into water like you requested and are sitting on my back deck in pretty much full sun.
View attachment 13721

Well today I am noticing what I would consider decent signs of life. The upper portion (above the second "joint" is turning brown and dying. Most are showing what I assume are roots and others are growing a "green horn" but seem to be lacking the root growth. Both the "roots" and "green horn" is coming from the first "joint" above the angled cut (bottom) of the cuttings. Am I ready to pot these, do I let them grow in the water for another week, or is there something else I need to do?
View attachment 13722

Leave them in the water a bit longer. The roots will get bigger.

The horn is a new stalk of grass. Let that one grow some roots.

Leave them in the water a bit longer. The roots will get bigger.

The horn is a new stalk of grass. Let that one grow some roots.
OK - I'll let them soak another week and see what that gets me. I just remembered you saying they didn't like wet feet so I guess I am a bit nervous about letting them soak too long.

Ok Bill, here is what most of them looked like as of yesterday evening. Some seem to be "sprouting" while others are a little further behind. We we ready to be potted yet? If so do I put them in pots or in their forever home? If I put them in their forever home - what spacing to get a good solid screen?
MG progress july 6.jpg

Ok Bill, here is what most of them looked like as of yesterday evening. Some seem to be "sprouting" while others are a little further behind. We we ready to be potted yet? If so do I put them in pots or in their forever home? If I put them in their forever home - what spacing to get a good solid screen?
View attachment 13805
Hey j bird, Was checking out this pic, noticed that the grass stalk on left is still green. Does that stalk still have a node higher up and we just cant see. Or is there another reason for this? Interestd as I also have started to play with Miscanthus

Hey j bird, Was checking out this pic, noticed that the grass stalk on left is still green. Does that stalk still have a node higher up and we just cant see. Or is there another reason for this? Interestd as I also have started to play with Miscanthus
Ok, bear with me as I am still new at this MG stuff. Most of the cutting I have are only green between the "joints" of the cutting. Most of them also only have a horn/sprout forming at the lower joint. I just got my materials for potting and plan to do so this weekend. I will produce a "report" if you will of what the cuttings look like.

View attachment 13805

I answered this post this morning? Must not have hit submit. I'm at the farm and going to fast :)
Yep pot them or plant them. 2 to 3 foot spacing. 2 foot for a faster wall and two rows really makes a wall.
If you plant them in thier final home be sure you can get them a bit of water and put some straw, leaves, mulch what ever around them for the winter. New roots are not as tough as a full rhizome. If you pot them keep them damp but not soaked. It sounds crazy they root in nothing but water but die in soaked dirt.....I haven't figured that one out..
I should have sent you 500 of them :). That would keep you busy.

It's odd if you put a two node cutting directly in the ground the grass stalk usually comes from the top node. If you put them in water it usually comes from the bottom. Not always but most of the time. Heck Scott has thrown 2inch sections with just the bottom node on them in water and they grow.

For grins, I bought 10 rhyzomes from maple river and put them in 3 gallon root pouches with metro mix 852

They seem to be thriving and approaching 5 ft tall

They DO soak up the water!!!!!

bill

I potted mine today. with mine being in water they all had sprouts at the lower node....I did have one that had a sprout at both the top and lower node however. I posted pics of my handy work on my habitat thread as to not steal from Bill's. Sorry - Bill, you have however been a huge help.

A little over a months worth of growth.

SmALzPq.jpg

q0QrqHq.jpg

This is the middle of the screen and it's on a clay knob, I hit the whole screen this spring with some triple 19 and came back mid June to hit the middle with some urea just to see if it helped and it's 5-6' compared to the 9-10' on each end.

psErOA1.jpg

You can see the MG screen back left in this trail cam pic.

BS3rvN7.jpg

Update on my MxG.

This is looking at mine from inside a perennial clover plot.
20170714_183948.jpg

This is the same screen, but from outside that clover plot.
20170714_184033.jpg

Damn that stuff is impressive

Mine is still growing in pots on the back deck...... Do I plant yet this fall or wait until spring? If I wait until spring any particular way to store them over the winter?

Looking forward to having a screen similar to those above in a few years and getting my own cutting and expanding then to screening plots and shooting houses and the like.

Looks good Scott. Here is my road as of two weeks ago.
I had another guy stop in to ask what it was and where to get some.

View attachment 14081 View attachment 14082

My 1st year single rhizomes are only 4' tall after 5-6 weeks ... I think i have what is known as MG envy :emoji_grin:

Mine is still growing in pots on the back deck...... Do I plant yet this fall or wait until spring? If I wait until spring any particular way to store them over the winter?

Looking forward to having a screen similar to those above in a few years and getting my own cutting and expanding then to screening plots and shooting houses and the like.

Either plant or store so they won't hard freeze in the pot. Garage,shed covered with hay.

Looks good Scott. Here is my road as of two weeks ago.
I had another guy stop in to ask what it was and where to get some.

View attachment 14081 View attachment 14082

Update on my MxG.

This is looking at mine from inside a perennial clover plot.
View attachment 14116

This is the same screen, but from outside that clover plot.
View attachment 14117

Man, these are both looking amazing.....

How old are these plantings and how densely planted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk