Definitive cuttings propagation list?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I was thumbing thru the Chief River spring catalog this morning while on the throne of knowledge and solitude. It’s getting nuts what some of these outfits are asking for trees. It got me to wondering…

Is there a list out there that simply states what can all be propagated via cuttings? Are there native trees that can be done via cuttings? Plum, cherry, crab apple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain. I'm also the kind of guy who tries to save money anywhere he can.

So far, the trees that root well from cuttings are willow, dogwood, and elderberry.

Apples don't generally root from cuttings, but I have started growing them from seed, with the idea that they will be planted below the.graft.. The apples that are too weak to be grafted will be planted as browse Bushes.

I was thumbing thru the Chief River spring catalog this morning while on the throne of knowledge and solitude. It’s getting nuts what some of these outfits are asking for trees. It got me to wondering…

Is there a list out there that simply states what can all be propagated via cuttings? Are there native trees that can be done via cuttings? Plum, cherry, crab apple?

Stop looking at nursery websites and start looking at county SWCD websites. Most still have excellent seedlings for under $2 each. They are super easy to plant. I can easily get 25 red splendor crabs in the ground in under an hour if I know exactly where they are going.

Screenshot 2024-02-04 171739.png

Pretty good list here but I doubt it is definitive. no Button bush,nine bark or Sycamore on the list unless I missed it and they do grow from cuttings.

Yea I got the Chief River catalog last week, pricing is ridiculous on some items.

Pretty good list here but I doubt it is definitive. no Button bush,nine bark or Sycamore on the list unless I missed it and they do grow from cuttings.

Seems like damn near everything is on the list. Good find man.

Seems like damn near everything is on the list. Good find man.

I searched and searched but couldn't find it. We had a pretty good list going here a few years back.

About 3 weeks ago I stopped by a retention pond near a housing development. Had a bunch of willows growing around it. I snagged some cuttings for experimenting. For the first two weeks they didn't do anything in a jar of water. About 7 days ago the first root popped out and now lots of roots have popped out and they are starting to push leaves out. Probably gonna cut more towards the end of march and try to grow some in a pail of water and then plant on my land in April. They make a nice little decoration in the house. I put some ROD in a jar last Monday. Nothing yet...

IMG_9018.JPEG

I used to order most of my trees from Chief River. I can't believe their prices now. $9.00 for a 6- 12" seedling! Do people actually pay this? I know the price goes down the more you order but wow.

I’ve been watching YouTube videos on growing arborvitae from cuttings. Think I’ll try some white cedar.

About 3 weeks ago I stopped by a retention pond near a housing development. Had a bunch of willows growing around it. I snagged some cuttings for experimenting. For the first two weeks they didn't do anything in a jar of water. About 7 days ago the first root popped out and now lots of roots have popped out and they are starting to push leaves out. Probably gonna cut more towards the end of march and try to grow some in a pail of water and then plant on my land in April. They make a nice little decoration in the house. I put some ROD in a jar last Monday. Nothing yet...

View attachment 62419

Careful with those roots. They are really fragile.

^^^

I'm not doing much with these other than experimenting and entertaining myself. I'm hoping they will push a few leaves out and I plan to feed them to the kid's pet rabbit that lives in my basement. I gave her a few cuttings to chew on and she went to town on them. I'm sure she will really appreciate them. They do look quite fragile.

^^^

I'm not doing much with these other than experimenting and entertaining myself. I'm hoping they will push a few leaves out and I plan to feed them to the kid's pet rabbit that lives in my basement. I gave her a few cuttings to chew on and she went to town on them. I'm sure she will really appreciate them. They do look quite fragile.

If u wanna try to plant them, put soil in a plastic drink cup and then flood it. Once they’re up and going, take a box cutter and notch some air holes in the bottom.

That’s what I’d try. Then no transplant shock.

I’ve been watching YouTube videos on growing arborvitae from cuttings. Think I’ll try some white cedar.
Let us know how it goes.

I’ve considered trying Eastern Red Cedar.

Update on my experiments....

The ROD has shot out all kinds of green leaves. Looks fairly impressive. I see ZERO roots and I'm starting to doubt if they will push any out. Think I will order some root hormone and see if I can get some different results and start over.

The willow stems pushed out roots first and then now is starting to push out all kinds of vegetation on top. There is a lot of roots there. I finally changed water for the first time. I could probably throw the whole bundle into a pot and slowly backfill with some potting soil and get them to take real easy. They make a nice decoration on the shelf above our piano and now my wife has claimed them from me.

IMG_9090.JPEGIMG_9091.JPEG

As an experiment cut the ROD cuttings a few inches above the jar. May be too late but I think the energy is all going to putting out leafs. Less above ground cutting means more energy for below ground. When I plant cuttings I shoot for only 1 or 2 buds above the surface.

Willows are like rye, you almost have to try and kill them.

^^^

Exactly what I was thinking. Way too much going on above the water with my ROD cuttings. I plan to make the next batch look like some #2 pencils.

I've had good luck potting ROD cuttings directly into a pot by pressing the cutting into the pot until they hit the bottom of the pot. Then I cut the top off an inch or two above soil level. I usually put a bunch of cuttings in each pot and if I water regularly they turn out really well.

Woth red Dogwood a tpuxh smaller than a pncil works best.