Miscanthus Giaganteus propagation from cuttings.

I didn’t remember NEF selling plugs. I did actually get to place an order for some ceeds but they cancelled it. The guy in Canada took the order but the woman in the US said “nope” :emoji_grimacing:

So I was only able to order from them twice and then they were only selling to the large biomass customers. One order was rhizomes, the other was plugs that were just like size 4a tree plugs, not the ceeds (cork looking things) that they eventually came up with and still promote
985295miscanthus-plug-with-14-stem.jpg
Those would be a lot easier than rhizomes.

So.........are plugs available anywhere?

bill

I don't believe so, I remember reading when I started planting MG about people developing MG for biomass and selling it only to biomass producers with large orders.

I ordered some Higgins's magic MG to add a third row to a screen where we are skylined. He claims his is more leafy down low on the stalk. We will see.....

I may actually try some to see about this more leaf thing. I like to dare to compare. Last time I was wrong.

I dared to compare .... I have some MR GM growing and it survived -38, will take cuttings this year. and I just ordered 2 bags from RW so we will see... details to follow in 3 years

I’m thinking I’ll take some of the rhizomes and try to split them up and grow some plugs from them, be a way to stretch things out a bit and make planting easier if it works out

I’m thinking I’ll take some of the rhizomes and try to split them up and grow some plugs from them, be a way to stretch things out a bit and make planting easier if it works out
I know since we start cuttings in jars of water it sounds crazy. But go easy on the water in styrofoam plug trays. Rhizomes don’t like to be in standing water and the styrofoam won’t drain.

Just ordered 100 at 70$

Will experiment and grow 50 in 1 gal root pouch over summer for kicks

bill

i Have planted the rhyzomes as well as cuttings. The roots do not tend to go too deep and the grass can be grown in just about anything...20180730_130219.jpg

^^^^^ yep....I grew a bunch in 1 gallon plastic pots from cuttings....twice. I have taken 2 of my plants that I grew from cuttings and dug them up and used their rhizomes to start some screening projects....I am curious to see how those do. When I dug them up I was surprised at how dense, but shallow the root mass is. I simply worked around the plant with a shovel and used the plants as a handle to pull it free. Root ball was roughly a foot deep and maybe 2 feet in diameter per plant (3 years old I think).

Wow!

This thread started in 2014 and Paul Knox AKA lickcreek, doubletree introduced me to it in 2010 or earlier.
Well, it is America. Nothing wrong with capitalism and if you have the audience why not. Seems we have a source cheaper than Maple rivers for under 1000 rhizomes but not over.

Can’t verify the study stuff as real or not. But a source is a source.

https://www.realworldwildlifeproducts.com/product/real-world-giant-miscanthus-grass/
I just ordered 100 rhizomes from Realworld to give them a try.

I just ordered 100 rhizomes from Realworld to give them a try.

Just received my shipping notice from them

should be here thursday

bill

should be here thursday

bill

Post up a pic when they get in. I never did order any.

should be here thursday

bill

It took a month and a half for the them to ship? I didn't realize the orders would take so long to process. I just ordered some yesterday.

It took a month and a half for the them to ship? I didn't realize the orders would take so long to process. I just ordered some yesterday.
When I ordered the e-mail said they would start shipping 3/24. I just recieved a e-mail that mine shipped today.

When I ordered the e-mail said they would start shipping 3/24. I just recieved a e-mail that mine shipped today.

That makes sense. I checked back on my confirmation email and it said that it was being processed but didn't say anything about shipping. I appreciate the response, Scott.

I'm just anxious to try and get these rhizomes established!

Realworld rhizomes showed up today, they look like nice rhizomes. The bag is damp and I didn't to open it up until I plant them later.

Sealed plastic bag, too much condensate for a real good pic.

XqlHunj.jpg

smBHNvD.jpg

So.........are plugs available anywhere?

bill
Just a thiought ... there are many other types of miscanthus that reach heights sufficient for good screening (,e.g., Zebra grass and Gracillimas -AKA - maiden grass are 2 of the most common). Depending on how this virus thing shakes out, they may or may not be widely available this spring. If you buy them late spring - on sale - like trees, you can get them at a more favorable price. Within 3 years, I have been able to divide the original "clump" plant into 4 nice clumps. I know it's slow, but like the virus spread, you can get geometric growth over time (1 to 4, 4 to 16, etc, etc. Better than nothing at all.
Same as what HGB above is doing.
Peace :emoji_slight_smile:

Got my shipment and I took a look at mine, paperwork states they are nagara so that is great, and the few rhizomes I looked at were nice and big. Happy with what I’ve seen so far.