All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miscanthus Giaganteus propagation from cuttings.

I Just planted 100 Rhizomes from maple river yesterday. I ended up renting a tiller (the one implement I don't own) and made quick work of a 100yd stretch. I planted mine about a 12-18 inches apart.I didn't count them but I feel like they estimated the number (on the high side) because I had about a dozen clusters in there and I still think I had over 100 holes filled. At this point I'd def recommend them and I'll post a survival rate later with a few photos of their progress this summer.

Side question: anyone plant these in a more shaded area? I test planted a half dozen in a spot that doesn't get full sun because I wanted to see how they would grow.

All mine are in full sun so no help here on the shaded area, good luck!

Side question: anyone plant these in a more shaded area? I test planted a half dozen in a spot that doesn't get full sun because I wanted to see how they would grow.

I have some in partial shade at the house. They seem to get top heavy and fall over in Sept. But...they are also in a spot that isn't well drained. So that could be the reason they get top heavy. Haven't isolated it yet. Let us know how they do.

I have some in partial shade that are in their 3rd growth season. The lack the height and fullness of their full sun counterparts.

I am planting some single rhizomes next week. Have been told they need moisture, but do not like wet feet.

Is there any advantage to fertilizing? If so, what mix?

I am planting some single rhizomes next week. Have been told they need moisture, but do not like wet feet.

Is there any advantage to fertilizing? If so, what mix?

Correct wet feet will kill them. I have a low spot that holds water often in one of my screens. I planted it anyway and nothing grew.

You don't need to fertilize them though I have sprinkled urea around mine in the past.

A little water and some warmer temps have the MG taking off, good growth in 10 days. First pic 6/7 and the other one was today.

A little water and some warmer temps have the MG taking off, good growth in 10 days. First pic 6/7 and the other one was today.

Off to the races. Do you always leave last years growth? I did this year for the first time.

Off to the races. Do you always leave last years growth? I did this year for the first time.
Last year was the first time I left it standing, before that I brush hogged it down. What I've noticed is it doesn't seem to matter one way or another as far as growth.

Last year was the first time I left it standing, before that I brush hogged it down. What I've noticed is it doesn't seem to matter one way or another as far as growth.
That's good to know. In the words of Forest Gump, "one less thing" :).

Looking good Scott. This will be the 4th year for my oldest rows. I've never cut the old stalks and so far they seem to have done fine.

I've been following this, but have a question. How long after planting the rhizomes would you give up on them if they have not had any top growth?

I've been following this, but have a question. How long after planting the rhizomes would you give up on them if they have not had any top growth?

Where are located? Curious if it's still cold. Once it gets in the 80's and there is moisture is say about 2 weeks tops.

Dig one up and see what it looks like. Just be gentle. Wash the dirt away and take a look.

Having said that to wet can stall them. I planted some that took forever but it was a really wet spring.

Where are located? Curious if it's still cold. Once it gets in the 80's and there is moisture is say about 2 weeks tops.

Dig one up and see what it looks like. Just be gentle. Wash the dirt away and take a look.

Having said that to wet can stall them. I planted some that took forever but it was a really wet spring.
West central il. Been hot. Planted 108. about 8 up, but not very big. I had killed area with glyphosate prior to planting. planted 3-4 inches deep. soil is a heavier clay.

West central il. Been hot. Planted 108. about 8 up, but not very big. I had killed area with glyphosate prior to planting. planted 3-4 inches deep. soil is a heavier clay.

Sounds a lot like my ground. Heavy clay which rocks for PH and growing conditions but we have been hot and dry and the clay gets rock hard. How's your moisture?

I wouldn't give up on them. If you're as dry as we are you need some rain to make them take off.

Sounds a lot like my ground. Heavy clay which rocks for PH and growing conditions but we have been hot and dry and the clay gets rock hard. How's your moisture?

I wouldn't give up on them. If you're as dry as we are you need some rain to make them take off.
first couple weeks, I did not water as the clay was moist, but i did not water in at planting. Last week before rain, i started to hand water, just hoping to help soften the top hard pan that formed. Hoping that the ones that did come up just happen to be the ones that had a more vigourous and formed root system and that the others need same structure before top growth. But I realize hope is not exactly a complete plan.

I'll repost this one .... planting 150 MG single Rhizomes May 22nd. The areas I planted in are loamy sand. Have had about 90% success so far except for the ones the critters are pulling out.

We had a 3 week dry period with temps in the 80s, but last 7 days good rainfall. Some as high as 2'. I did notice yesterday on some of the alower growing ones that there were some taller weeds shading them, I pulled the weeds around these.

IMG_20170616_134756.jpg
IMG_20170616_134818.jpg

As I recall the first year it seemed to take too long to show appreciable growth but since then they have grown well with no care whatsoever. From my experience once they establish there ids no stopping them. I'm guessing they'll come just fine. Relax!

I'd agree that some are slower to pop than others. Patience is the key with all this type of work we do :)

I have real heavy clay and what I've noticed is MG will grow on heavy soils but it just takes a little longer. I have some friends that have grown MG in lighter soils and their's have outgrown mine at the beginning but in the end they are the same mine just took longer.