Mine still hanging

Bartlett pear. A lot of the fruit never dropped, but mummified on the tree instead.

Attachments

• IMG_8054.jpeg
    IMG_8054.jpeg
    523.3 KB · Views: 37
Another Honeycrisp.

Attachments

• IMG_8055.jpeg
    IMG_8055.jpeg
    762.7 KB · Views: 28
Bartlett pear. A lot of the fruit never dropped, but mummified on the tree instead.
Mine often blooms in mid to late summer, those fruit never drop. Not trying to pick a fight, just what I see

Last edited:
I haven't seen most my trees since summer, but in my bottom orchard that we walked thru on Nov 17 I could see that Droptine were holding and so were Goldrush.

I haven't seen most my trees since summer, but in my bottom orchard that we walked thru on Nov 17 I could see that Droptine were holding and so were Goldrush.
We need an orchard thread, even if its for up and comers.

Dolgo seedling tree with a stick of GoldRush tacked onto it a couple years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_8065.jpeg
    IMG_8065.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
The Hank tree, which some on here have gotten scions from, is nearly done trickle dropping.

Attachments

• IMG_8067.jpeg
    IMG_8067.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 23
To my amazement, one of my Sweet Sixteen trees still has apples.

Attachments

• IMG_8068.jpeg
    IMG_8068.jpeg
    592.6 KB · Views: 23
Pixie crunch still holding quite a few on MO/IA border.

d3d933b0192f5987925d8050d1b25666.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All my Red Delicious are down.

Nice day today so did an end of Nov apple census. Pretty happy that have a bunch of apples still hanging/dropping this late

Honeygold is probably at 65% hanging but apples are pretty mushy on the tree
Honeygold West med.jpg

Enterprise is probably at 50%
Enterprise West med.jpg

Several Franklin Cider trees at 50% and soft but not as mushy as the Honeygold
Franklin Cider West1 med.jpgFranklin Cider West2 med.jpgFranklin Cider East med.jpg

A bunch of Ranetka seedlings are doing just as well as the Franklins. Call it 3 of 6 planted/surviving look like have some late hang time genes. But at like $1-$2 each, worth a gamble to try as these were just rootstocks that let grow..
Ranetka D med.jpg
Ranetka E med.jpg
Ranetka B med.jpg

EMS crab is loaded again this year but they do not fall. However the lower branches in reach are picked clean and later the turkeys love to take them out in harsh winters.
EMS Crab med.jpg

This roadside full sized apple just on other side of road from my land is looking pretty good too. It is strongly biannual bearing however so feast and famine on that one for late apples
Roadside Tree med.jpg

And not fruit tree related but some observations on oak trees in our zone 4B if any interest in how the leaves may provide cover or hide a stand in later hunting periods. These are based on trees that are about 15-18 yrs old

Red oak leaves pretty thinned out
Red Oaks med.jpg

The burr oaks are completely bare
Burr oaks med.jpg

White oaks are holding majority of leaves and will do so until spring
White Oaks med.jpg

Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing them on here.

Rocks -

I like the looks of your land. Those spruce with tall grass in between just look like good bedding areas / fawn cover. Great observation on the oak leaf situation. I think pin oaks hold leaves late too.

Those apple & crab trees look great. Don't sweat the soft apples. If they drop, or if deer can reach them - they'll be gobbled up like candy!! Deer here will hammer the slushy, soft ones when they hit the ground. Tracks in the snow here show they come running for the "applesauce" on the ground. 😉

Thanks for sharing those pics!

Thanks for feedback on the pics. Felt the posting was getting a bit long so cut out any trees with mostly down but like 10-15% still hanging on. Maybe another dozen of those and of course a few dozen of the birdie crabs like red splendor and Siberian crab that hold well into winter but may "mummy" a bit. The bird crab twigs and stuff provide browse but fruit of little consequence for deer. Planted those for the turkeys.