Mine still hanging

30-06 still drawing. Hard to tell how much is left. I'd been pretty down on this tree the last couple years because the fruit loses its integrity fairly early in the season and will literally splatter when dropped. It's also biennial rotating small then heavy crops. But, it has gained some favor with me this season (maybe because it's a heavy crop year.)
4ed64a54-ca0f-47d8-94d0-9195c77c1277.jpg

Also tied down a licking branch on it, it's worked well. No scent or anything added.
e3ec01fa-e543-4e1f-8f51-644ee4dc7493.jpg

Good idea on the licking branch! Even trees that are biennial-bearing have a place for deer & critters. You never know when some other trees might be having an "off year", for whatever reason, and your biennial tree might save the day. The deer sure seem interested!

The old wild Sinkhole apple still carrying a nice load of apples with absolutely no care. :)

Attachments

• Sinkhole apple  med.  12-18-23.jpg
    Sinkhole apple med. 12-18-23.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 54
Nice tree! ^^^^^

Gunfun,

When did droptine start tuckering out for fruit load? Between 30-06 and droptine, which one would you have more of? Got some m111 and anty to graft this spring.

Is it common for hickory to hold their nuts late? I got a hickory next to my treestand t the cornfield that looked like 60-70% holding. It's a young hickory, probably 12-14" diameter or so. Sure it's well fed with fetilizer being beside the cornfield. It's a nice litle spot by some beechnut trees and larger hickory trees.

Gunfun,

When did droptine start tuckering out for fruit load? Between 30-06 and droptine, which one would you have more of? Got some m111 and anty to graft this spring.

Tough to say, I haven't actually seen the tree in person since Labor Day-ish and most years I might only see it one or 2 times during season. It's typically holding a fair amount of fruit into the new year..last year was an exception but I believe that was racoon related.

I'm a huge fan of Droptine and haven't been high on 30-06 the last couple years but that's changed a little this year because cam has showed a lot of deer activity on it. Although the Droptine is in cam view, I dont think deer under it trigger the cam.

My big knock on 30-06 is the fruit loses its integrity fairly early in season and apples turn to mush. It annoys me, but deer don't seem to mind. Mine also tends to be biennial alternating heavy and light crops, this year happens to be heavy.

Droptine has been my best growing variety (30-06 isn't far behind), it produces heavy annually, fruit maintains it's integrity a long time, and holds it's fruit well into the off season. It's about as perfect as it gets for a deer variety in my mind.

01f1b6d22d9b66d92c500c6a484310d4.jpg

Enterprise

4dda36a9e2645509875a8b90dde5502a.jpg

Goldrush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are from my yard, one is a Adolfo, and I believe one is a Liberty.

Attachments

• IMG_6229.jpeg
    IMG_6229.jpeg
    701.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6228.jpeg
    IMG_6228.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 27
As of today two of the ones I posted pics of a page or two back. They are both right along road, one at someone’s house I know and the other on an old homestead around corner from big woods.

This one is definitely a must have for me, half the apples still on and still edible. Going to graft scions from it and call them Oregon Road. This tree is loaded every year and has consistently held late.
IMG_6670.jpeg

The second one still has a lot of value to me by what I see on the ground. They are still dropping even though many have half mummified. Going to call grafts from it Mercer Road. It is biannual.
IMG_6671.jpeg

^^^ Nice!!

Great finds!! Don't know about your place, but here deer - and other things - eat those mushy mummies. Those trees will feed lots of things for several months, even if they leave a few mummies.

As of today two of the ones I posted pics of a page or two back. They are both right along road, one at someone’s house I know and the other on an old homestead around corner from big woods.

This one is definitely a must have for me, half the apples still on and still edible. Going to graft scions from it and call them Oregon Road. This tree is loaded every year and has consistently held late.
View attachment 61478

The second one still has a lot of value to me by what I see on the ground. They are still dropping even though many have half mummified. Going to call grafts from it Mercer Road. It is biannual.
View attachment 61479

I would really like a twig of that Oregon Road if you have extras available.

Dang Duck Creek. Those fruits dont look like theyre going anywhere anytime soon either.

Anyone got some pics of Galarina. I hear that one stays on the vine for a long time. Got 3 coming in for a 5 year or so pruning demonstration. How pruning effects tree growth. Figure the one tree that barely gets pruned will be cut down. Also growing a M111 rootstock all by itself, looks like a good seedling tree candidate, it's 3/4's northern spy.

How old are the Winter Crabarina and Primetime in your posts? I'm really psyched to plant my first Blue Hill trees come March.
Both of those were planted spring of 2019.