Mine still hanging

Oh crap. I've avoided this thread forever due to not knowing the title referenced TREES! Glad I finally clicked on it.
Prepare to part with some $$$ - but gain some good trees!!!! 😁

Last edited:
Anyone got some pics of Galarina.
Somewhere in this "Fruit Tree" section, there are pics of Galarina that someone in N.Y. posted some time ago. I'll try to go back & find them. The pics were of Galarina apples holding in December, if I recall. If I locate the pics, I'll post the relevant info to look at them.

Natureboy had a good thread or 2 showing galarina holding late.

^ ^ ^ ^ That's the one I was thinking of, Mort. Thanks for posting that info!!! I also found Galarina pics from Appleman on page 109 of this fruit tree section, at post #27 of the "Late Hanging Apple" thread.

Checked out natureboy's galarina. They hang late. Which is ok, it'll give me more time to process apples later in the season. Contacted a local orchard about granny smith not being to fully ripen, they grow granny smiths quite well. Their problem is their fruit stand closes before the later ripening apples in the tree are ready. I'm borderline 5/6. They're 1/4 mile from the Hudson river, I am a touch over a mile.

I was going to place these towards my in-laws side of the property. However, they have been shining the flashlights at the deer at night lately........... In hopes of the dog to stop barking. There is no known cure for that though....... Pretty much the dumbest dog I have ever met. Australian Shepard mix.

^^^ maybe!

This pic was from 2/13/24, but it still looked the same yesterday when I pruned that orchard. The kids ate all those nasty apples and said they were awesome. Its a SLN winter wildlife. Probably 4 yr old.

20240213_152203.jpg

This picture was yesterday. It's a tree on an abandoned home sight. I drive by numerous times a day and it makes me wonder if there's too much of a good thing. Are these mummies doing any good?

Attachments

• 20240226_125724.jpg
    20240226_125724.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 42
This picture was yesterday. It's a tree on an abandoned home sight. I drive by numerous times a day and it makes me wonder if there's too much of a good thing. Are these mummies doing any good?
That’s how I feel too.

Stop and walk around the trees , if you find lots of deer turds you know it's a good thing. I've read some trees have a slow trickle drop and drop mummies up until spring leaf out and the deer readily gobble them up.

No prize without a taste test

At my place the turkeys will fly up into those late hanging trees to get to the fruit. They knock down more than they eat and then based on the deer tracks it appears that the deer stop by to clean up the mess. A few years ago I thought those late hanging, mushy and mummified apples were worthless since they never seemed to fall, but now the turkeys knock them down. I've seen pheasants and grouse doing the same thing on other properties as well.

Stop and walk around the trees , if you find lots of deer turds you know it's a good thing. I've read some trees have a slow trickle drop and drop mummies up until spring leaf out and the deer readily gobble them up.
The road is too busy and there's not a good place to stop.
I've never seen a deer there, though they are on the other side of the road almost every day.

I've seen that same kind of evidence at a couple trees a few miles from our camp. Whether they drop slowly on their own, or birds of some sort knock them down, tracks in the snow don't lie, of deer visiting all winter long. Those apples hang into March - at least the last few dozen of them do. They produce every year, too. All good for the critters.

Do enough of those fall that you’re glad you have the tree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not on this variety and also not on Golden Hornet. We have a problem in my area that you guys up north don’t seem to have. Most crabs fall too late and most apples fall too early. The solution seems to be applecrabs like Yates. If Yates would hold 2 weeks later it would be about perfect. I have some other applecrabs coming on that I think will fill the gap. Time will tell.

Last edited: