Looking for a quad, and some advice.

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
Hey all,

I hope that timely rains are coming your way, and the big boys are showing up on camera!

So I've decided that rather than getting a golf cart, I'm going to get a quad. My reasoning for this is that the quad can do everything and more than the cart can, the only drawback is that it's louder. After talking it over with my neighbor, who owns a tractor and equipment and helps me with my plots, I decided that an ATV would be able to do everything that I need to do, and would be much easier than having to come to him for such a small plot. Additionally, at 23, I think that it's time that I start being able to do all of this stuff on my own, with the constant guidance of the forum of course :). This is really the first piece of "equipment" that I'll be owning

I'm still determining how much I/we (it'll be used by my Mom and Dad as well to help them haul things... basically it'll just belong to our family) have to spend, but I think that $5,000 would be a good starting point for a quality used machine. T

The total amount of plots that I have is about 1 acre, with half put into native prairie this year. So a tractor would be a bit overkill, considering that I can have a quad that can easily do what I need.

Here is what it'll be used for, so you can get an idea of what I'll need:
1. Spraying. I'll most likely get a small pull behind sprayer with an engine for my apples. Even though I'll be doing minimal spray, it would be helpful to have something to use for dormant oils, and japanese beetle control. I'll also want to get a small boom sprayer for my plots, (I really hate to spray, and generally avoid it, but it'll be needed every once in a while).
2. Watering. We have some old 55 gal juice drums that we use for our swim raft. I'm planning to make one of them into a watering tank for my trees. I'll put it onto some sort of dolly/ wheels.
3. Pulling a Mower. For general plot (clover) and trail maintenance. The type of deal where you have a gas engine hooked up to a bushhog type deal.
4. Light discing. I'm really going for the no-till, no-spray approach (e.g. what someone who loves the color crimson on another site does), but sometimes I'll need to work up the soil. I'll mainly be planting clover, brassicas, buckwheat, rye, etc... so no row crops or anything that needs heavy, deep tilling. I still will have access to my neighbor's rototiller if I need to do heavy stuff.
5. Hauling. My property is about a quarter mile from our "base". A trailer would be great to haul bins with apples from our orchard (yes, I opened the "baiting" floodgates :) ), dirt, manure, leaves from our compost pile, tools, etc... It'll also be used my my Mom and Dad to move heavy loads around our house and in the garden. On the property itself, the biggest thing I'll have to pull will be logs from trees that I've taken down. Creating brushpiles can be a huge PITA if you have to drag a hundred or so limbs a hundred yards.

So, now that you know what I'll be using it for...
what do you think I should get? I'm thinking that a 500cc is reasonable for 5k, but would I be alright with a 400?

What brands do you recommend or advise that I stay away from?

What are things that I need to look for while checking out used machines?

Any other things I should consider/watch for?

Thanks for any help. This will really be one of the larger purchases I've made that is going towards habitat.

This is just me, but for work I would never buy a Polaris. I have witnessed too many repairs watching friends and family try to put the Po-Po's to the work test.

I stick to Yamaha or Honda. Again, just me.

I purchased a 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 400cc liquid 4x4 a couple months ago for $2200. Absolutely mint conidition.

It can handle any of the tasks you mentioned in your list. I also have a Grizzly 450.
The Kodiak I bought specifically to leave at our farm to do spraying, dragging, hauling, etc. I dont have much for ATV implements to actually do tillage any more.

The 400 would be on the lighter end for you, but it can do it. Always better to get a bit bigger than you need. That way you dont run one into the ground a bit prematurely if you work it harder than you maybe expected.

For your intended use I would get a Honda. They keep going and going, sort of like the Energizer bunny. I do close to 8 acres of food plots with my Honda Rubicon. It is liquid cooled and has one of the best transmissions in the industry.

This is just me, but for work I would never buy a Polaris. I have witnessed too many repairs watching friends and family try to put the Po-Po's to the work test.

I stick to Yamaha or Honda. Again, just me.

I purchased a 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 400cc liquid 4x4 a couple months ago for $2200. Absolutely mint conidition.

It can handle any of the tasks you mentioned in your list. I also have a Grizzly 450.

The 400 would be on the lighter end for you, but it can do it. Always better to get a bit bigger than you need. That way you dont run one into the ground a bit prematurely if you work it harder than you maybe expected.

I'd never really heard anything bad about Polaris, but I'm 100% green on this. I only know that my neighbor has had a Polaris for the last 12 years without much of a problem, but he doesn't do too much heavy stuff with it.

For your intended use I would get a Honda. They keep going and going, sort of like the Energizer bunny. I do close to 8 acres of food plots with my Honda Rubicon. It is liquid cooled and has one of the best transmissions in the industry.

I'll look for a Honda!

Very nice choice......

Or this? http://centralmich.craigslist.org/snd/5144899078.html

Is there much of a difference between an early 2000's and something after 2010? By this I'm just wondering if any MAJOR improvements have been made, or is it kind of like a lot of things and each year they are just slightly better?

Thanks for all of your quick responses!

I just came upon that one! So I need not worry about the older models?

Again, I appreciate all of the quick feedback. I'd love to get the ball rolling and get this thing taken care of in a week or so. I'm also 100% green on this, so I have tons of questions.

Only has 400 hours of use, seems lightly used to me...but I'm not sure on the life expectancy of a wheeler.

My dad isn't up here at our "base", but I'll see if I can get my neighbor to go check it out with me this weekend. He's got lots of equipment and will most likely know what to look for!

Only has 400 hours of use, seems lightly used to me...but I'm not sure on the life expectancy of a wheeler.

The treads on those tires seem to agree with that!

As far as the life expectancy, I'd assume it's pretty good like most engines. Obviously you've gotta replace some things, but the power plant should be ok. Heck, my neighbor sold us a late 80's yamaha that still runs like a champ. Again, I'm new to all of this, but I would think that for the most part an engine is an engine. BUT, I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong.

2000 miles on a Honda Or Yammie is just breaking it in. :)

Older models are very bullet proof... if they havent been driven off a cliff.

Dad has a 1995 yammie, a 98 Honda and a 07 Rhino that has been abused like u cannot imagine. I need to take a pic of it. Its just a wreck from our own abuse.... but neverrrr misses a beat.

I guess the big question is what is a newer model with a thousand more miles worth? If I'm just going on price, I'd say the older one, but again I'm not sure on what improvements have really been made in the past 10 years.

Depends.

Many have gone from manual shift to auto trannys.
Bigger engine displacements.
Solid axle to independent.
Added more gauges.
Carb to efi.
Manual to power steering.

Many hings are "nice to have" improvements.
Not necessary improvements.

Depends.

Many have gone from manual shift to auto trannys.
Bigger engine displacements.
Solid axle to independent.
Added more gauges.
Carb to efi.
Manual to power steering.

Many hings are "nice to have" improvements.
Not necessary improvements.

Got it. So the machines were solid then, they are just a bit more high tech or fancy now.

I just picked up a 2007 Kawaski 360 for $2300, haven't tried too much with it yet but I think it will do whatever I want.

I'd consider a Cat. I've used and abused mine and have never had a problem with it. It's seeing the easy life now that I have a tractor.