Live from the stand thread

Sweet. How much that thing weigh?

He's young, so about 250 lbs., I think.

I've been in and out of the stand a lot the past month, saw a lot of deer some of them over and over. Too many times I had to sit in the tree way past dark waiting for deer to leave the area and it gave me time to reflect on how our property has turned around in the last few years.
Ten years ago before we bought it and were leasing it I might see a few deer a week but lots of days I wouldn't see anything but squirrels, and now I complain about being late to get home because too many deer are around and I don't want to blow out the stands....I never would have dreamed that. I'm also passing on bucks I never would have a few years ago, and wouldn't think of shooting a doe or fawn now, still not sure how I feel about that. As small as our places are I don't know how good the survival rate can really be as crazy as gun season is around here.

Anyway I had a lot of deer pretty close and got to watch them just being deer, still didn't see one I had to have. Gun season is next week so maybe one a little bigger will dumb luck by me and it will all come together.

Few pics
J9UPQ0z.jpg

8O3vcuG.jpg

RRyCbVO.jpg

PrVMjnp.jpg

xhgl74V.jpg

41ujYCP.jpg

Youngest son did shoot a meat deer on public a couple weeks ago
a5fCHKY.jpg

Comedy of errors. Look out the window yesterday morning and my ground blind is gone. I go down to look for it. It is all in one piece resting in some brush. The only way to get where it was is to be at least 40 ft in the air to clear the first layer of trees. The stakes are still hanging from 4 corners and one of the lines. Haul it out back to where I had it set up. It broke one of the lines I had tied to a fence post. We had winds the other night nw gusting to 60.

So I decide I have been down here might as well check the camera warching the sanctuary feeder. It has the same two does coming to it morning and evening. Not a single buck pic. Text the neighbor and he says his side is dead as well.

Guess its time to make the ducks pay.

Comedy of errors. Look out the window yesterday morning and my ground blind is gone. I go down to look for it. It is all in one piece resting in some brush. The only way to get where it was is to be at least 40 ft in the air to clear the first layer of trees. The stakes are still hanging from 4 corners and one of the lines. Haul it out back to where I had it set up. It broke one of the lines I had tied to a fence post. We had winds the other night nw gusting to 60.

So I decide I have been down here might as well check the camera warching the sanctuary feeder. It has the same two does coming to it morning and evening. Not a single buck pic. Text the neighbor and he says his side is dead as well.

Guess its time to make the ducks pay.

I have a bale blind. It was staked on two sides with auger anchors.. I had to drag it out of the hedge row on Thursday :)

Good thing it didn’t get 40 foot in the air.

For what its worth this is the deer my cousin was unable to recover
FB_IMG_1575057136021.jpg

Ouch!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in battle wagon this evening. It’s in the low 40’s with a light east wind.

Im in a ground blind right behind the house. I dont expect much but the wind is right and I am out of the rain.

Just sat through a deluge complete with lightning and thunder. More coming. Will probably head to the house before it arrives. This is my sanctuary feeder. Everything east of it is thick, nasty, and nobody goes there. Ive got a se wind blowing my scent back towards the house. Rifle season starts wednesday. I put this up so my boy could go with me.
20191129_155137.jpg

I didn’t see anything last night. Didn’t get out today.... pouring rain this am. Was going to hunt a gap in the weather this evening, but I got roped into putting up x-mas stuff.... not my idea. Maybe tomorrow.....

Well took the young man to Montana for his first out of state hunt, no luck on getting him a mule deer. While we were gone get a couple of shooter bucks on camera at the cattle farm.
fae4f5111476c159b1108c3759ab1bb9.jpg

Son and daughter both lay claim to the two big bucks. Son kills the number two buck on the hit list yesterday morning. 200 yard heart shot for his best buck ever.
a40ca4683829ffd9efaeb1341e4eb9bb.jpg

Daughter still hunting for the number one buck on the hit list. Fingers crossed, she gets it done this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the “low rent” blind this am. It’s in the low 40’s and as warm as it is going to get today. Wind from the same at 5 to 10. Stormed last night ..... was out clearing gutters at midnight! Sky is clear now and I am hoping the deer will be hunger this am.

Saw a group of does around 8. I counted 4 or 5 but tough to tell. 1/2 hour later some of them came past the plot but didn’t stop. Wind is picking up and I am going to check condition of plot before I head back to the house

So that plot is pretty rough.... I think the cooler than normal temps put the deer on the beans sooner and they have hit them pretty hard. The greens from the turnips have been hit hard as well and the deer are starting on the bulbs already. Good news is that the field across the creek is in cover crop so the deer will have plenty to eat after my plot becomes barren. Some beans in pods yet but not many. Plot didn’t do that well to begin with and the turnips and wheat didn’t either..... was a tough year in some aspects (timing of rain in particular).
368173F2-1396-401C-806A-6029AE8E507D.jpegbeans rotate.jpg

Emma rotate.jpgnote rotate.jpg
so last hunt of the IN general firearms season and somebody decided she wanted to go as well. Raining here with a 15 mph wind so we are back in the battle wagon. She commemorated the first kill of the blind earlier as well. Doubt we see anything but last hunt.... ya gotta go.

View attachment 27264
View attachment 27265
so last hunt of the IN general firearms season and somebody decided she wanted to go as well. Raining here with a 15 mph wind so we are back in the battle wagon. She commemorated the first kill of the blind earlier as well. Doubt we see anything but last hunt.... ya gotta go.
I like the commensurate on the wall!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Not a deer to be seen but we gave it a shot