Keeping knats away while hunting?

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Our archery season started yesterday and I hunted last night. Saw a couple does and a little 3x3 buck in velvet, as much as I would like to shoot a velvet buck he got the pass. Does anyone have to deal with the little black knats? I have a Thermacell but it doesnt really seem that effective for knats for some reason. We are talking about the little knats not much bigger than this " . " They occasionally bite you but the most annoying is the high pitch noise they make while flying around your head!

I have heard people say vanilla extract works, but have never tried it. Anybody found anything that works.

A head net ...

I call those teeny ones "no see ums", they are biting little shits. Long sleeves and a face mask with a Thermocell under the seat of my stand is what I use.

Spray your hat with permethrin. It is not approved for application to the skin. It bonds to the fabric and if you don't get caught in a rain storm, it lasts for several weeks. It is the same stuff we use for tics during spring gobbler. For some reason, deer don't react to the scent. Perhaps because permethrin is produced by plants. I typically spray the inside of blinds with it to keep wasps and other insects from nesting. You don't have to spray it just before you hunt. You can spray and hang your clothes to air out if you are concerned.

Thanks,

jack

I'm not sure that the OP wasn't referring to those annoying gnats that just fly around the face. They don't bite but they do fly into the eyes and ears. VERY bothersome...especially when trying to shoot a bow.
We have a gnat like that here and I've tried everything to repel them. Things that DON'T work...deet, permethrin, herbal repellents. I have not found anything that works, other than a head net.
My brother calls them dog peck*r flies, because they seem to hone-in there. He always said "And you know where they've been":D

Luckily these seem to be only a issue for a short while then they are done for the fall. I have not tried permethrin, but deet doesnt seem to have much affect on them either. They are just more or less an annoyance.

Thermocell works great for me, I clip on my bag or on a hook near my head whenever I hunt in 60+ degree temps

Our archery season started yesterday and I hunted last night. Saw a couple does and a little 3x3 buck in velvet, as much as I would like to shoot a velvet buck he got the pass. Does anyone have to deal with the little black knats? I have a Thermacell but it doesnt really seem that effective for knats for some reason. We are talking about the little knats not much bigger than this " . " They occasionally bite you but the most annoying is the high pitch noise they make while flying around your head!

I have heard people say vanilla extract works, but have never tried it. Anybody found anything that works.

I've had poor results when I use vanilla extract but when I use real vanilla mixed 50/50 with water and put it in a fingertip spray bottle it's the bomb at repelling the little gnats. I don't know why vanilla extract doesn't work as well but I can tell you it's a huge difference between the two. Find a Mexican grocery store or a health food store near you that sells pure vanilla. Mix it 50/50 with water and spray directly on your face, ears, and hat. The gnats are attracted to the carbon dioxide you are exhaling and that is the reason they accumulate near your face. I don't know why but somehow the vanilla seems to bother them because they sure stay away. I use this trick all summer whenever the gnats get bad while dog training.

Thermocell for me.

Why do you think plumbers leave the crack of their arse showing? To keep the knats outta their face. I use a thermacell.