All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keep a farm notebook

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I just commented on another thread and it reminded me of my farm notebook. For those of you who are just getting started, buy yourself a huge notebook and start making farm notes in it. I did 15 years ago as step one and it is a hodgepodge of everything from plot notes, hunting notes, tree notes, where I set the septic tank for the addition to the house, you name it. It resides at the farm and is a conversation piece at this point. You also don't need a computer to enjoy it or use it as a reference guide :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I keep mine on a private blog. I've got a web site that is only accessible to the co-owners and guests of my farm. This is so local poachers can't use information I provide about our farm against us. On that site I created a blog. Each day I work at the farm, when I'm done I post to that blog all the activities I did that day. It is easy to add pictures taken in the field with my phone. I can call it up form my smart phone if I'm in the field and have a question about what I did in a previous year. Another advantage is for taxes. Our farm is organized as an LLC. Whether it is treated as an active or passive investment for tax purposes depends on how many hours I put in each year. The contemporaneous log provides all the backup with date and time stamp.

So, whether it is in hardcopy form or one uses technology, a notebook of some form is a great idea!

I started doing this as well in a leather bound notebook my dad got me when we bought the place.

I write down every daylight mature buck siting an location. Also daylight trail cam photos Of mature.

Been trying to keep up with annual highlights like tree plantings an locations, varieties etc.

Will Be pretty cool to look back on I think

I do mine on a Google document. It's private to my account and password unless I "share" it with someone (the document, not the account). Plant dates, spray dates, rain events, temps, pics, ect... go into it on a regular basis. It can be printed, but to be honest a large book of notes would be better just because I like things I can hold in my hand. I would much rather read a book than an eReader.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Farm Logs allows you to do this. Google map your farm/food plots. Shows you rainfall per GPS field location. Allows you to add notes (fertilizer, lime, plantings, harvest etc) Back this up with a book of notes.

I've started using the memo function on my smartphone for making notes on all sorts of things. I have a different categories and it's so easy to add, edit, or delete entries. I almost always have my phone with me, so my "notebook" is usually in my pocket.
I transfer the info from the phone to paper sometimes, but more and more, I just leave the stuff on the phone.
The camera feature is another great tool. A picture is worth a thousand words that sometimes can't even be put into any amount of words.

In addition to my blog, I use many other tools as well. I have a Microsoft access database that is linked to ESRI's ArcGIS. I use that GIS system to document tree planting and such as well as field planting and timber management. I often print out reports when heading out to the field to work on specific projects. I make notes on the hard copy and then update the database when I get back. I use the blog for non-structured data logging my activities. I use the database for more structured data.

Another tool I use is Excel. That works great where there is math involved. Things like calculating fertilizer rates, seed rates, herbicide rates etc. lend themselves to Excel. Since Excel can reference MS Access database. It is easy to pull things out of the GIS database like acreage for each field into Excel.

Thanks,

Jack

I use MS One Note. Simple and fast to add new tabs or pages.

I use a notebook too. I carry it in the box on the drill. I keep all kinds of notes on experimental settings with the drill, etc. Also keep sprayer info, etc.

Wish I kept better notes but it is not my nature. I have a good memory so I rely on that more than anything but it only gets you so far. I do keep spreadsheets for planning and implementation, generally on an annual basis. I keep one for my apple and pear trees.My biggest problem is tinkering with the spreadsheet and losing info. I need to save a backup each month or something. I've tried One Note and like it but I use it intermittently. I've tried an annual report in word. I need to take more photos. And I should be worried about losing my hard drive.

Real good point on the hard drive loss potential for those of us that don't keep hard copy. I use an application called Gbridge. It allows direct synchronization of files between computers without going through the cloud. Basically the server is used for authentication and then the two computers are directly connected across the network and do direct transfers.

I have several computers. On my home desktop, I have a terabyte USB 3 drive. I do all my work on my laptop, but all the data files are synchronized with the desktop. That way if I lose the hard drive on the laptop I haven't lost my data. I don't have to pay for cloud storage. I'm sure I'd exceed all the limits for free cloud storage, and I just don't like the idea of my personal data sitting on the cloud.

Thanks,

Jack

I do mine more for heirloom impact. Therefore, I really don't want it to be on a computer. I started it the night before my first hunt on the farm. It is really amazing. I hunted the entire week of gun season and NEVER SAW A DEER! It is amazing how much things have changed.

I do mine more for heirloom impact. Therefore, I really don't want it to be on a computer. I started it the night before my first hunt on the farm. It is really amazing. I hunted the entire week of gun season and NEVER SAW A DEER! It is amazing how much things have changed.

Yep! Where and when I grew up, seeing deer was a treat and seeing a buck was unusual. Seeing anything with antlers during the season was outright rare. If it wasn't for small game, I probably never would have fallen in love with hunting!

Great idea! I've been meaning to do it for a couple of years now, but finally started putting it to paper this year. Will be fun to go back and review things from year to year.