HVAC Experts? Propane Heater Question..

To make the termocouple produce more output, if it's needed. The manual says to adjust the curved defelcotr from the pilot. You could take a pic of the pilot, to see if it gets enough flame. Wipe the thermocouple clean too.

Can't find anything on martin parts, or specific part numbers. I'm very surprised they're asking you to adjust the gas regulator settings.

Likely this thermocouple is pressure type Check the sensing tube for kinks. Check the nut clamping the sensing tube to the gas valve assembly. IF's it's loose, it could not be creating enough pressure to keep the pilot going. Don't think this is your issue.

Does it take a few seconds to die, like the pilot can't kep the thermocouple hot under low pressure. Or does it die almost instantly.

To make the termocouple produce more output, if it's needed. The manual says to adjust the curved defelcotr from the pilot. You could take a pic of the pilot, to see if it gets enough flame. Wipe the thermocouple clean too.

Can't find anything on martin parts, or specific part numbers. I'm very surprised they're asking you to adjust the gas regulator settings.

Likely this thermocouple is pressure type Check the sensing tube for kinks. Check the nut clamping the sensing tube to the gas valve assembly. IF's it's loose, it could not be creating enough pressure to keep the pilot going. Don't think this is your issue.

Does it take a few seconds to die, like the pilot can't kep the thermocouple hot under low pressure. Or does it die almost instantly.
The pilot runs fine, gets a nice hiss sound. Then I can turn the dial to low and hear the gas come on and it gets the flame going. It seems like its a week flame even on low. As soon as I turn the dial to the right to turn up the flame, it just dies out like its not getting enough gas and just dies out....

Swap out regulator for another.

Once you get it going good. Youll like thst hester. Might be able to put 12v blower in it.

Donr woiry about the 14", just try another low pressure one. Low is 11 inches water. High pressure i believe is 5psi.

You fix it?

Spending 1st night in heated trailer here.

27 deg out, head height is 82 deg. Working, but feet are cold. Just 2 layers or carpet.

Got a few more tricks. Redirect trailer gas vent. Cold air from bottom. Some exposed aluminum frame parta to cover up too.

Think i could do a 15 deg night with some more work.

You could have a vapor locked gas cylinder. This is very common on 20 lb tanks with propane grills. Key is to just barely (and i mean barely) crack the valve on the cylinder and light your stove to get the pilot going. Slowly turn your burner off pilot to the low setting where it will run ok, then crack your cylinder valve 1/4 turn, then ramp up your stove a little more, and open the cylinder another 1/4 turn.

You fix it?

27 deg out, head height is 82 deg. Working, but feet are cold. Just 2 layers or carpet.

Got a few more tricks. Redirect trailer gas vent. Cold air from bottom. Some exposed aluminum frame parta to cover up too.

Now that you mention it, I'm curious about the outcome too. I'd be surprised if those units left the manufacturer with such complex adjustments or fixes that would be required for normal use. But then again, the buddy heater exists, and those seem to be a coin flip at best if they ever work. When Ice fishing forums used to be a thing, in the equipment thread, about a third of the topics would be people trying to troubleshoot their brand new buddy heaters. Total garbage.

On your deal, you on or off the grid? Just need a way to push the heat down and keep it stirring. My cabin is off grid, and I've just got an oversized fishhouse heater for mine, no forced air. All my heat goes right up into the vaulted ceiling, and then I run an RV ceiling fan to push it down and keep it mixed. Keeps it even from top bunk to the floor. I've got foam under my floor, so I really only need to keep the heat dome distributed.

You fix it?

Gave up in season. Just used the wood stove which wasn't the end of the world. Will troubleshoot further in offseason with some of the additional suggestions above!

Sd,

In the trailer right now. Had 1/2 day of work. Going to put circulating fan in. Added a layer of cardboard and another carpet ontop. Hrlps, but need circulation.

Im offgtid. Will put a larger computer fan and make a duct from top to bottom. Have it blow heat right on my feet. Its only a 6x12 trailer. 3/4's of the time its just me, when my wife comes its not too cold.

Got the heater 1/2 way up the wall. Needed to put it on thr high side to clear the ATV rack and handlebar.

Got a 100 watt solar panel, so i can run a little more 12v stuff. Heater uses a fraction of an amp, only put the lights on low, and have gas derector that uses mlliamps.

Beats waking uo 330am to drive almost 2 hours to hunt.

Need a shower setuo for bowhunting. Dont mind being s bit stinky when i can shoot 250 yards. Bow is a whole other gsme.

Tempted to buy real travel trailer for truck. Hsve a 2wd atv i can probably tow and hsul that at the same tine.

Last edited:
Sd,

In the trailer right now. Had 1/2 day of work. Going to put circulating fan in. Added a layer of cardboard and another carpet ontop. Hrlps, but need circulation.

Im offgtid. Will put a larger computer fan and make a duct from top to bottom. Have it blow heat right on my feet. Its only a 6x12 trailer. 3/4's of the time its just me, when my wife comes its not too cold.

Got the heater 1/2 way up the wall. Needed to put it on thr high side to clear the ATV rack and handlebar.

Got a 100 watt solar panel, so i can run a little more 12v stuff. Heater uses a fraction of an amp, only put the lights on low, and have gas derector that uses mlliamps.

Beats waking uo 330am to drive almost 2 hours to hunt.

Need a shower setuo for bowhunting. Dont mind being s bit stinky when i can shoot 250 yards. Bow is a whole other gsme.

Tempted to buy real travel trailer for truck. Hsve a 2wd atv i can probably tow and hsul that at the same tine.

You know what you’re doing. Sounds like you’ve got a good plan. That little bit of stuff could run for days on one battery. Panel will keep u in power forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't know what those cost, but you may be able to get into a small shed for less, and then you could rig it up for a permanent sleeping quarters. If you go that route, be sure to upgrade to good siding, doors, and windows.

They're not giving sheds away anymore though either. I looked at prices, and they're about 80% higher than they were in 2018 when I built mine. But you could make it as simple or complex as you want.

Upgrades, adding windows, and spray foarm will add 50-100% to the cost, but it's worth every penny. And, done right, you can pick it up and sell it to someone else if you need to.

1702708786395.png

Since the pilot is working I'd check the flame sensor. It's a rod in the path of the main flame. It job it to make sure the main burner is burning, if it does not get any heat it shuts the unit down. I've seen many times on home gas furnaces where the flame rod has a soot build up, Sometimes its enough that it does not know there is a flame there. Clean it up with some steel wool. Not saying its the answer but something to check. Good luck

Last edited:
Sd,

Was thinking of building a shed on the 80 acre parcel. Like 10x12 or so. Got to check what the max is for taxes. Sleep / hunt combo. Son in law needs a place to go.

Wife is 51 and wants to be a snow bird. Florida or so in winter. Camper might be an option here for that. Still saving $$$ for vacation condo down there. Fought temptation to blow 30g on mustang. What happened to the old me, he"d kick my butt for even a one second thought of getting a corolla. Hes probably out there somewhere in his 78 trans am.

My Weber grill would barely flow gas every now and then. Was acting up Sunday cooking chucken, so I got the charcoal one out. Had burgers tonight and started more charcoal.

Just for the heck of it, checked out the internet.....

Weber's site.

Opened the valve, waited about 20 seconds, then worked just fine. I could see a longer line to the stove could act like a opening valve too quickly. MAy have to turn it on, then release the regulator from the tank to get the check valve to reset, then put it back on, wait a bit, then have her go. This bypass valve before the regulator is likely not weber specific.