Kansas goes to 1 spring bird

Many interesting thoughts in this thread, just to share a little more of my perspective and experience...

I really don't think hunting pressure has had any impact on the decline in my area. Why? I think the grand total of birds killed in the fall in my neighborhood over at least 15 years is fewer than 5, and I can only specifically remember about 3. Meanwhile, I have found dozens of carcasses over the years and neighbors have had similar findings...these were all adult birds. Poult survival can certainly be at play too...but by no means is it the only factor present in my area.

Something is killing adult birds...although admittedly, we don't find nearly as many nowadays as a few years back. I suspect that though is related to the fact that there just aren't as many birds around to then find them dead nowadays. I used to see and hear dozens of birds on almost any fall hunt, this year...I think I saw a few turkeys one time.

Bobcats, coyotes, Fisher, other predators all contribute to low turkey numbers.

A few years back the Avian bird flu was bad in our county in MN, and turkey numbers have not been the same since?

I just bought my place last year but to a man every person I spoke to in the area all said “man that place is ate up with turkeys”. The old man who owned it for 30 years would never ever be confused with a proficient hunter and he would limit out every year up until recently. Well fast forward to this past year and I managed to kill a bird opening morning but after that heard 1 bird that was definitely on my place. I have two cell cams that have been running for a solid year. I get more dogs than I do turkeys. I have some nights where I have 8-10 coons in a pic. I have no hopes of having a good turkey season for the foreseeable future. There is only so much management I can do from 5 hours away.