Kansas goes to 1 spring bird

ksgobbler

5 year old buck +
The vote was a month ago.
One spring bird for this upcoming season. Applies to NE, SE, and SC kansas.

Fall season vote was quite contentious. Biologist wanted to close it. NWTF folks stood up siding with the biologist. One commissioner is a big fall hunter. He proposed to cut it to 40 days. Another commissioner tried to tack on no hens. Ended up passing for a 40 day 1 bird limit in the fall.

Its sad to see where are turkey numbers are compared to what they had been.

Bird numbers are way down??

The vote was a month ago.
One spring bird for this upcoming season. Applies to NE, SE, and SC kansas.

Fall season vote was quite contentious. Biologist wanted to close it. NWTF folks stood up siding with the biologist. One commissioner is a big fall hunter. He proposed to cut it to 40 days. Another commissioner tried to tack on no hens. Ended up passing for a 40 day 1 bird limit in the fall.

Its sad to see where are turkey numbers are compared to what they had been.

What’s causing the low numbers?

Bird numbers are way down??
Way way down.
What’s causing the low numbers?
They dont know. A multitude of things. We hit our peak 2006 or so. Big floods from 07 to 2010 started the decline. This year with our record rainfall had the lowest numbers of poults recorded since they started the rural mail carrier surveys. Ive seen 1 poult and many others have seen none. When I bought this place in 2013 I had a fall group of 18 gobblers and 50+ hens. Last year was down to 3 gobblers and they all died last spring. One got poached. This year we have a fall group of 26 hens with a single poult in the flock. The pressure is tremendous. I hate living out here during spring turkey season. Apparently if you grow up south of the mason dixon line they dont teach hunting laws, or people dont respect them.

Way way down.

They dont know. A multitude of things. We hit our peak 2006 or so. Big floods from 07 to 2010 started the decline. This year with our record rainfall had the lowest numbers of poults recorded since they started the rural mail carrier surveys. Ive seen 1 poult and many others have seen none. When I bought this place in 2013 I had a fall group of 18 gobblers and 50+ hens. Last year was down to 3 gobblers and they all died last spring. One got poached. This year we have a fall group of 26 hens with a single poult in the flock. The pressure is tremendous. I hate living out here during spring turkey season. Apparently if you grow up south of the mason dixon line they dont teach hunting laws, or people dont respect them.
Unfortunately it seems like turkey hunting everywhere is like that. People hunting without licenses, shooting more than one. They are viewed as a problem for many and people just don’t care.

That’s too bad about the numbers. Hopefully that can rebound in time.

Several states have changed their season length, start date, and limits in the recent past and I expect others may follow if the trend doesn't improve. In some cases, the decline seems catastrophic just as you describe...areas that once had abundant flocks are now all but turkeyless.

Our numbers are way down in Missouri also. A lot of people attest it to not only the untimely rains but also historically low fur prices. No one is trapping nest predators anymore.

Way way down.

Sounds like predators are getting the little ones. Do you have bobcats in your area? Any bird flu issues near you? In MN we had combo of bird flu(still a rumor-not verified) and fisher that were killing birds. It is starting to come back now.

Weather is our big poult getter. I think habitat is changing, and weather are the two biggest factors. We had bobcats etc during the boom years too. A spot I hunted good friday around the year 2000 I heard 38 birds gobble on the roost. Game warden said he heard 1 bird this last spring.

Hunting pressure is 100x what it used to be as well, and turkey hunters as a whole are much more efficient than when I shot my first turkey in 96.

Way way down.

My opinion is that fur prices are at an all time low, especially coons. In my part of MO we have the same problems and the guys that have started trapping nest predators are seeing polts again. It's worth a try.

It doesn’t help that it’s become a pecker measuring contest and most think it’s cool to be able to shoot one at 70 yards due to new loads. I have zero science to back this but I would venture to guess a decent percentage of birds that use to get a pass 5, 10, 20 years ago are now shot. Technology won’t stop until the outcome of any hunt is not in question any more...but nature will.

Would be interesting to see what part they did go to one bird,heres email I received today looks like they are encouraging 2 birds
Spring Turkey Season - Your Way

Feeling lucky this season? Get a second tag. Any individual who has purchased a spring turkey permit valid in units 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 is eligible for one second turkey game tag (valid for Units 1 and 2 only).

Mark your calendars for the upcoming Unit 4 spring turkey permit drawing happening January 7 – February 14, 2020. Applications for permits must be received online or by calling (620) 672- 0728.

Reminder, youth 15 and younger are eligible to purchase spring turkey permits at a reduced price, which are valid statewide, including Unit 4. Bring your kids or grandkids on your next adventure!

Buy early and receive a discount. Over the counter sales for spring turkey permits starts March 2. Purchase a spring turkey combo (permit + game tag) before April 1 and save $7.50.

Would be interesting to see what part they did go to one bird,heres email I received today looks like they are encouraging 2 birds
Spring Turkey Season - Your Way

Feeling lucky this season? Get a second tag. Any individual who has purchased a spring turkey permit valid in units 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 is eligible for one second turkey game tag (valid for Units 1 and 2 only).

Mark your calendars for the upcoming Unit 4 spring turkey permit drawing happening January 7 – February 14, 2020. Applications for permits must be received online or by calling (620) 672- 0728.

Reminder, youth 15 and younger are eligible to purchase spring turkey permits at a reduced price, which are valid statewide, including Unit 4. Bring your kids or grandkids on your next adventure!

Buy early and receive a discount. Over the counter sales for spring turkey permits starts March 2. Purchase a spring turkey combo (permit + game tag) before April 1 and save $7.50.
I got that email last night but didn't read it. I don't think I've seen much of a change in our populations in my area. I'm not a huge turkey fan so I don't pay a lot of attention but I still hear them gobbling on my morning hunts and see them in the bean fields in the afternoons.

Minnesota has only been one bird as long as I have hunted. I don't hear any complaining. Unfortunately for the OP you are in one of those "destination" states. The out of state money is finally taking it toll. This is not to down play wet springs or nest predation.

Ill try to find the video of the meeting. One commissioner was only concerned with loss of revenue.

Weather is our big poult getter. I think habitat is changing, and weather are the two biggest factors. We had bobcats etc during the boom years too. A spot I hunted good friday around the year 2000 I heard 38 birds gobble on the roost. Game warden said he heard 1 bird this last spring.

Hunting pressure is 100x what it used to be as well, and turkey hunters as a whole are much more efficient than when I shot my first turkey in 96.

what where your fur prices mid to late 90’s. In South AR - coons were $10 in 1997. Now, nobody will pay you a cent. Huge difference between trapping and coon hunting effort between today and 1997.

When I was in Highschool in the mid-late 90’s you could $10 for a large Riad killed coon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really think hawks are by far the worst small game and game bird killer there is,We have seen them grab quail out of the air while brush hogging.We probably have less pressure than we did 10 years ago and most of us just hunt our own land now.Still plenty around my area and I am in one of the limited areas.If we don't get flooded out this year population will be right back where it was last few years

I really think hawks are by far the worst small game and game bird killer there is,We have seen them grab quail out of the air while brush hogging.We probably have less pressure than we did 10 years ago and most of us just hunt our own land now.Still plenty around my area and I am in one of the limited areas.If we don't get flooded out this year population will be right back where it was last few years
I remember when ranchers kept a rifle in the truck just for shooting hawks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I can remember in western kansas when there were hawks on every pole and we found 3 or 4 hen pheasants that the only injury was holes pecked in their head and that has been years ago,I have alot of sandhill plums so hopefully it offers some aerial protection