All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a pear?

Telemark

5 year old buck +
Bradford maybe?

Can I graft edible pears to it?

Attachments

• IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 28
I would avoid anything to do with a Bradford pear. They’re now considered an invasive. In our part of Missouri they have crossed with other trees and have become a real problem along the highways

There are dozens of these growing wild. Is it bradford pear?

It sure looks like it, but growing wild I’d guess it’s one of the crosses. Look at it and see if it has thorny spikes growing on it. If it does it’s likely run of the cross breed invasives.

Bradford is just a named cultivar of the Callery pear (Pyrus calleryana). Most of the wild ones you see are the offspring of Bradford or some of the other named cultivars that people have planted in their yards.

Yes, they can be topworked to a useful pear. I did two different ones last year. I changed one to a Kieffer and the other to a Hunter's Choice. Both look fantastic this spring.

Cool! I will try it next year.

I have grafted to the ornamental pear in my yard as well, no issues to date.

d426e3b466f0213e2ce484287e0ae745.jpg

Not trying to hijack your thread, but here’s a tree that I found along my creek yesterday. I suspect it’s a Callery pear, but any ID help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That looks like a honey locust. Check the ground for long bean pods.

I had a look at some of the other pear trees. A few of them do have some spikes, but not like that. I will take a picture later. Also the pear branches are not very straight.

That looks like a honey locust. Check the ground for long bean pods.

I had a look at some of the other pear trees. A few of them do have some spikes, but not like that. I will take a picture later. Also the pear branches are not very straight.

Not like the Honey Locusts I have here on the farm-these “thorns” have small leaf buds breaking open on them, and most honey locust thorns are branched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see what you mean.

IMG_0318.JPG

Vs.

IMG_0319.JPG

I grafted Harrow Delight successfully to my bradford last year and i'm finishing it off with Bosc this year, no worries. :)

Cool! I found a few smaller ones that I can graft. Anyone have extra pear scion laying around?

I grafted Harrow Delight successfully to my bradford last year and i'm finishing it off with Bosc this year, no worries. :)

Is the Bosc scion on the Bradford or on the Harrow Delight?

Is the Bosc scion on the Bradford or on the Harrow Delight?

It’ll be on bradford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk