Imidan

Not saying Permethrin doesn't work as it is an insecticide but there are many cheaper alternatives, I am sure. We use permethrin as a tick repellent on our outdoor clothing in the spring/early summer.

One alternative to Captain and Imidan is Sevin which can be purchased almost anywhere. One of my buddies who has been growing apple trees for 30+ years swears by it. Not only does it serve as an insecticide, he claims it also thins the fruit so that you don't have to do it manually. I plan to give it a try this year. He says he always get fewer but much bigger apples when using Seven.
Sevin is not an alternate to Captan but is an insecticide and Captan is a fungicide. Sevin is used for thinning yes but it needs to be done carefully and Sevin is very toxic to bees and shouldn’t be used during bloom. Sevin is also effective on Japanese Beetles

Any suggestion on how much ahead of the bloom this would be?

Quoting myself just to pop this question back to the top. I sprayed on Saturday May 5th. Usual full bloom is May 15th. Do I need another spray before full bloom? If I don't, it is a pretty long stretch until petal fall when the next spray is super important. My goal here is to go easy on the bees but protect my fruit from the PC, apple maggot fly and codlingmoth.

Quoting myself just to pop this question back to the top. I sprayed on Saturday May 5th. Usual full bloom is May 15th. Do I need another spray before full bloom? If I don't, it is a pretty long stretch until petal fall when the next spray is super important. My goal here is to go easy on the bees but protect my fruit from the PC, apple maggot fly and codlingmoth.
To protect against them you can wait til petal fall. Just think there is no fruit set yet so nothing for the pests to feed on to ruin fruit only the green and bark. If you spray now your chance of pollination will decrease as you will kill bees and other pollinators. The Imidan will settle in the blossoms and the pees will go in and become infected with the Imidan. There is plenty of time after petal drop to spray for pests

MSU extension says Captan at half-green, pre-pink and pink which is what i did on the 5th (pre-pink). Rain coming in end of this week and full bloom expected tues-wed.- Just a bit nervous as I held off on dormant oil this year. No telling what creepies are crawling. I guess I'm done till petal fall. Lots of blooms coming and first year no chance of frost in many years. Should be a dynamite year.

MSU extension says Captan at half-green, pre-pink and pink which is what i did on the 5th (pre-pink). Rain coming in end of this week and full bloom expected tues-wed.- Just a bit nervous as I held off on dormant oil this year. No telling what creepies are crawling. I guess I'm done till petal fall. Lots of blooms coming and first year no chance of frost in many years. Should be a dynamite year.
I thought you were spraying Imidan now based on the thread Captan is fine most times but trees can develop resistance so maybe find another fungicide also. I also use Sovran and another one I can’t think of name now

I use Rally in my rotation once or twice a season. It also works for cedar apple rust.

Anybody else spray yet? I did my dormant oil/copper spray before leaf, and then 2 tablespoons each of captan and imadin just yesterday and my trees were anywhere from tight cluster to pink. I would think it will be another 10 days at least until 90% petal fall?

You sprayed imidan now? What insects are you spraying for at this point?

I'm trying not to spray a fungicide or insecticide this year as I believe they do lots of harm to your soil life. Only fungus I had last year was apple scab, and I'm trying to combat that through cobalt foliar sprays on my trees. Only measurable insect pest was aphids, and they were eaten rather quickly by beneficial insects. Spreading lots of wildflower seeds to bring in the good bugs.

Curious - does anyone use a surfactant with the insecticides/fungicides?

Anybody else spray yet? I did my dormant oil/copper spray before leaf, and then 2 tablespoons each of captan and imadin just yesterday and my trees were anywhere from tight cluster to pink. I would think it will be another 10 days at least until 90% petal fall?
Spray captan before petal fall and Imidan after. Captan for disease and Imidan for pests. Imidan not good for bees so wait til petals are off and bees not around

With imidam more heavily regulated these days is anyone using an alternative?

Crap..... I read a bunch of different posts from the sticky thread that said do it before? That makes sense tho....