Imidan

I bought also and I forgot to add the coupon but when I realized that I sent a message and they honored the discount. What a great vendor

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Imidan-70-W-...rol-5-x-1-lb-water-soluble-bags-/112409374142

I highly recommend this vendor. Order shipped already and I ordered at 7;30 am today

I've been reading up on this stuff, not sure I want to use it on trees in my yard

Because my kids play out in the yard. I know I'd be spraying small scale, but reading the imidan safety sheet, you are supposed to keep people out of the spray area for awhile. although they are talking about larger sprays, not sure it's worth the risk spraying this stuff where my kids play

Yes many of of us mix Captan w/ Imidan, I even use Sevin w/ it.

I mix 2 Tablespoons of each together at the same time and have been spraying with this combo for years - sometime 2-3 times per year. Just remember that Imidan is toxic to bees so you don't want to spray while your trees are in bloom - wait until pedal fall.

This year I am going to mix in some Sevin with it as a buddy of mine said it thins out the fruit and you don't have to thin manually.

So that’s 2 tablespoons of each per gallon? I’ll be sure to read the labels as well, just checking to make sure I understand what others are doing to compare. This is only year 2 for my trees so unlikely many will blossom this year. So how often do I spray this combo? When do I start?

So that’s 2 tablespoons of each per gallon? I’ll be sure to read the labels as well, just checking to make sure I understand what others are doing to compare. This is only year 2 for my trees so unlikely many will blossom this year. So how often do I spray this combo? When do I start?

Yes - 2 Tablespoons of each works well. Here are my notes on spraying:

Fungicides/Insecticides – The most important spraying is a dormant oil spray (Gordon’s) in late winter/early spring before buds open. This helps prevent scale (fungus disease) plus mite and other insect eggs from hatching. Scale can lower fruit production to zero.

Fungicide – Captan 50 WP or 70 WP (wettable powder) – Insecticide – Imidan (phosmat) 80 WP. Wear full personal protection – including latex gloves when mixing/spraying. Mix Captan and Imidan together at the rate of 2-3 tablespoons each per gallon of water in your tank sprayer. Use 3-4 cover sprays/year at 10 day intervals. The first spraying should be just before bloom (Imidan is toxic to bees – do not spray in bloom). Next, spray after pedal fall when 90% of pedals have fallen. 3rd spraying 10 days later.

PS - I got this from an article written by Bill Mayo many years ago in Quality Whitetails magazine and I have been using these recommendations ever since. I don't always spray the trees 3 times but I always spray at least once or twice.

So for personal protection - goggles? Face mask of some sort? All skin covered with clothes and gloves?

Excellent info above as well.

So for personal protection - goggles? Face mask of some sort? All skin covered with clothes and gloves?

Excellent info above as well.

I have never worn a face mask but it is probably a good idea. I do wear goggles, long sleeves and gloves and shower when I am done. Also - try to stay upwind.

I have sprayed some with a 4 gallon backpack sprayer and that works well, but I have about 60 apple trees throughout the property (10 more going in soon) so I usually mix up 10 gals or so in my 25 gal ATV sprayer. That one has more pressure and I can reach out more with it.

So I think this is my final question. If I don’t get blossoms this year being it will only be second season I have fruit trees, it does or doesn’t do any good to my trees to spray the Imidan and Capatan? Assuming I don’t need to spray this year - maybe just a dormant oil spray to smother aphids?

I’ve been mixing 2 tablespoons of Captan and 2 tablespoons of Imidan per a gallon of water. Is this too strong of a dose of Imidan?

So I think this is my final question. If I don’t get blossoms this year being it will only be second season I have fruit trees, it does or doesn’t do any good to my trees to spray the Imidan and Capatan? Assuming I don’t need to spray this year - maybe just a dormant oil spray to smother aphids?
If no fruit you don’t need Imidan to protect the fruit but I would spray captan as it is for the health of the tree. Imidan could also control insects that could harm your tree as well even if you don’t have fruit. I don’t think you need to do it as often but spraying would give you healthier trees

I had aphids and ants on some of my trees last year. I have a big supply of permethrin so I mixed some up and sprayed my trees. It seemed to do a real good job on the aphids and ants.

Slightly off topic, but any place online to buy the captan?

Got my captan and rally from keystone.

I had aphids and ants on some of my trees last year. I have a big supply of permethrin so I mixed some up and sprayed my trees. It seemed to do a real good job on the aphids and ants.

What concentration of permethrin did you mix up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What concentration of permethrin did you mix up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not saying Permethrin doesn't work as it is an insecticide but there are many cheaper alternatives, I am sure. We use permethrin as a tick repellent on our outdoor clothing in the spring/early summer.

One alternative to Captain and Imidan is Sevin which can be purchased almost anywhere. One of my buddies who has been growing apple trees for 30+ years swears by it. Not only does it serve as an insecticide, he claims it also thins the fruit so that you don't have to do it manually. I plan to give it a try this year. He says he always get fewer but much bigger apples when using Seven.

Fungicides/Insecticides – The first spraying should be just before bloom

Any suggestion on how much ahead of the bloom this would be?