All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ida Red

SmallChunk

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have Ida Red growing? I know one guy had some really nice mature trees in the past and a bunch of you grafted some, me included. Is this a late apple to wake up for everyone? My 2 year old graft is SO slow waking up, just now showing signs of life.

I have an Ida Red that has been in the ground for 12 years or so. It is a dependable, annual, heavy producer, that drops from October through December, with a few stragglers holding into January. It is a delicious apple to boot. I have some varieties that seem to wake up before the Ida Red, but I don't recall it being particularly late either. I think you're going to be very happy with this tree in the long run, assuming your graft takes.

How are they for CAR resistance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it is immune to CAR, but I have never seen any evidence of it on my tree. That said, I don't think I ever noticed any evidence of CAR on any of my trees, so I am not sure that is a very good indicator.

AJ - ^^^^ Are you in an area with no members of the juniper family - like Eastern red cedar - to act as the alternate host for CAR fungus?? Our hunting camp has no junipers around for miles, so we have no CAR problems either. Just wondering.

Snow today / tonight up there???

I don't see any in the immediate area, so it's not a serious problem here.

Yeah, it did snow, but did not stick. I saw other guys are in the same boat with below freezing temps. We see temps in the high 20s for several hours, but I don't think that will have any significant impact on the crop.

I have an Ida Red that has been in the ground for 12 years or so. It is a dependable, annual, heavy producer, that drops from October through December, with a few stragglers holding into January. It is a delicious apple to boot. I have some varieties that seem to wake up before the Ida Red, but I don't recall it being particularly late either. I think you're going to be very happy with this tree in the long run, assuming your graft takes.

Awesome! It is waking up nicely and should be a really nice tree next spring when I remove it from my root trapper and plant it!