Ida Red

SmallChunk

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have Ida Red growing? I know one guy had some really nice mature trees in the past and a bunch of you grafted some, me included. Is this a late apple to wake up for everyone? My 2 year old graft is SO slow waking up, just now showing signs of life.

I have an Ida Red that has been in the ground for 12 years or so. It is a dependable, annual, heavy producer, that drops from October through December, with a few stragglers holding into January. It is a delicious apple to boot. I have some varieties that seem to wake up before the Ida Red, but I don't recall it being particularly late either. I think you're going to be very happy with this tree in the long run, assuming your graft takes.

How are they for CAR resistance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it is immune to CAR, but I have never seen any evidence of it on my tree. That said, I don't think I ever noticed any evidence of CAR on any of my trees, so I am not sure that is a very good indicator.

AJ - ^^^^ Are you in an area with no members of the juniper family - like Eastern red cedar - to act as the alternate host for CAR fungus?? Our hunting camp has no junipers around for miles, so we have no CAR problems either. Just wondering.

Snow today / tonight up there???

I don't see any in the immediate area, so it's not a serious problem here.

Yeah, it did snow, but did not stick. I saw other guys are in the same boat with below freezing temps. We see temps in the high 20s for several hours, but I don't think that will have any significant impact on the crop.

I have an Ida Red that has been in the ground for 12 years or so. It is a dependable, annual, heavy producer, that drops from October through December, with a few stragglers holding into January. It is a delicious apple to boot. I have some varieties that seem to wake up before the Ida Red, but I don't recall it being particularly late either. I think you're going to be very happy with this tree in the long run, assuming your graft takes.

Awesome! It is waking up nicely and should be a really nice tree next spring when I remove it from my root trapper and plant it!