I am afraid to ask or start but is anyone trading scions???

Scions, Free to a good home:
Hewe's crab
Gold rush
Ashmeads kernel
Dolgo
Jonagold
Golden russet
Arkansas black
Kingston black
Redfield
Ramsdell sweet

With that list, sounds like someone is planning on making cider sometime in the future!

With that list, sounds like someone is planning on making cider sometime in the future!
Yes indeed
Already making some but currently relying on buying from local orchards. Hopefully in a few years I'll be self-sufficient.

I have the following scions available, free to a good home, you just pay the shipping.
Chestnut crab
Whitney crab
All winter hangover
Winter wildlife
Violis
Centennial crab
Kerr
Honey crisp
Gold rush
Enterprize
Liberty
Arkansas black

Keiffer pear
Moonglow pear

I mailed out the different varieties people had asked from me this morning so you should be getting them next week sometime.

Same here, mine is always loaded with CAR. Doesnt seem to impact the fruit though.
Mine is always loaded with CAR but none on the fruit. It seems to be a good grower, produced fruit on the third year. Removed all but two and the birds got one. I didn't care for the taste, but I can see the deer liking the small Apple!

All this talk, talk, talk about scions, couldn't take anymore so I had to go and buy a grafting knife today. Gonna try some local wild trees that some hang until late Nov on Antonovka from local conservation club. Just a 1/2 doz, yeah keep telling yourself that...

All this talk, talk, talk about scions, couldn't take anymore so I had to go and buy a grafting knife today. Gonna try some local wild trees that some hang until late Nov on Antonovka from local conservation club. Just a 1/2 doz, yeah keep telling yourself that...
i have a few scions laying around, free if you want em.
i have a bunch or arkansas black and a few goldrush. a few others (see above) but nothing that i know of that is late-hanging.

I'm in zone 4b and maybe borderline 4a at times so have to keep that in mind for planting. Still would be tempting to try a few of the varieties not found at typical garden nursery like ashmeads kernal or roxbury russet. I'm going to try to go more with decent size crabs for late hangers anyway for both deer/turkeys but figured to get some grafting practice in on a few trees which are consistent producers, deer favorites, but not that great for us humans. Kinda of a practice run.

:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing: And another one starts down the slippery slope. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Atta boy rocks those 2 dozen should be a snap lol

Well, good thing I used the version of 1/2 instead of 0.5 doz. After some decimal slight of hand somebody out there mighta raised the bar to five (5) doz......lol. I only ordered 10 rootstocks so maybe can resist.......you know I did plant some crabs a couple of years ago that could be top worked........

If anybody is looking for the varieties below let me know.

Apple:
Crown Empire
Hampshire
Jordan Russet
False Yarlington
Milwaukee

Pear
Potomac
Harrow Sweet

I'll be shipping scions soon to those who have asked. Sorry for the delays but i've been trying to get a little more Airport Apple for a few of you. Hopefully it ships this weekend. Cheers

Ok folks, here is what I have. Be forewarned, they've been off the tree in a black plastic bag with damp paper towels for about a week. Normally not a problem, but we've had some major temp fluctuations, so they may be a bit closer to breaking dormancy (but maybe not. who knows.)

Lots of (5-10 scions worth): Goldrush, Honeycrisp, Enterprise, King David, 3 wild trees from my property, and a tree my grandpa planted (Mac type?)

Limited (≤5 scions): Pristine, Chestnut crab.

One of the wild trees seems like it'd make a great cider apple. Super sour, but also SUPER sweet. Really an odd mixture. Relatively disease resistant (or at least tolerant). This and the other wild trees are on their 2nd-4th year of pruning, and prior to that were on a swamp edge in partial sun. It drops it's apples in October and has a few that stay through winter.

Wild tree #2 hasn't produced much, but it is a few feet away from where we dug our pond (didn't realize it was there). Maybe a little bit of FB, but overall seems pretty resistant/tolerant. The apples drop in September/October.

#3 is a pretty good apple. Red and green. Kinda tart. Not nearly as intense as #1, but still good. No major problems with diseases other than some blossom blight a year or so ago. Seems to have a prolonged drop period/harvest period that runs from Mid September through late October.

PM me your address and I'll send them out. All I'm looking for is $hipping.

Last edited:
I'll be shipping scions soon to those who have asked. Sorry for the delays but i've been trying to get a little more Airport Apple for a few of you. Hopefully it ships this weekend. Cheers

Things are packed up. Just need to get to the post office now.

I know I'm late to the game here, basketball season has really put me behind! I have messaged a few of you about a couple of varieties.

Looking for these ones...any help would be great!!!

Norland
Dolgo(from a grafted source)
Kerr
Wickson
Kindercrisp
Breakey
Golden hornet
Galarina
Tolman sweet
Beacon
Wolf River
Zestar
Shafer
All winter hanger
Winter wildlife
Violis

I know I'm late to the game here, basketball season has really put me behind! I have messaged a few of you about a couple of varieties.

Looking for these ones...any help would be great!!!

Norland
Dolgo(from a grafted source)
Kerr
Wickson
Kindercrisp
Breakey
Golden hornet
Galarina
Tolman sweet
Beacon
Wolf River
Zestar
Shafer
All winter hanger
Winter wildlife
Violis
I believe Kindercrisp is patented.

I can get you most of the others next year. I finished pruning, discarded most of the wood, and mailed scion all ready.

Is anyone growing Lady Williams apples? I would be interested in some scion.

I have about 2 dozen Fuji and a dozen honeycrisp scions that I just pruned 2 days ago.
Want to trade for any cider apple scions for zone 7.
Thanks.