I am afraid to ask or start but is anyone trading scions???

aerospacefarmer

5 year old buck +
I haven't seen anyone asking or offering but it's getting to be that time. I have over 100 varieties of apples and am getting another 7 new ones from GRIN. I hope I did t open a can of worms!! Lol

I'll be trading but I don't cut until late February. No point of cutting now.

For sure Matt but it's planning time now lol

For sure Matt but it's planning time now lol

I know my rootstock order has been in since June or July. And my grafting spreadsheet is 75% complete =)

What are you looking for this year Paul? Anything in particular? Happy new year.!

Happy New Year Matt. Really nothing as my 25 roots will be occupied with my GRIn order. What about you?

Turkey Creek started an interesting thread on another forum regarding disease transmission via scion trading. I found the different perspectives folks have on it.

I'm going to get a few more of the late-hanging apple scions from up the road from my camp and graft some of those. They still have apples on the trees in March. They drop slowly all winter. I can cut a few for interested guys in March. PM me if interested.

So maybe this will become the de facto scion exchange thread lol

Happy New Year Matt. Really nothing as my 25 roots will be occupied with my GRIn order. What about you?

Only 25? Weak.

I'm doing 100 on b118 and a dozen on g30.

Only 25? Weak.

I'm doing 100 on b118 and a dozen on g30.
I am already over 400 trees in my orchards and most are not deer trees and require a lot of care so I am taking it easy these days lol. I spray all my trees7 or 8 times per season

Turkey Creek started an interesting thread on another forum regarding disease transmission via scion trading. I found the different perspectives folks have on it.

That post was made in regards to root stock susceptibility to latent virus' in apple trees. For the majority of people especially in terms of wildlife trees that is not much of a factor. B118, M111 the typical wildlife root stocks do not show that same susceptibility. Trade on!

That post was made in regards to root stock susceptibility to latent virus' in apple trees. For the majority of people especially in terms of wildlife trees that is not much of a factor. B118, M111 the typical wildlife root stocks do not show that same susceptibility. Trade on!

Yes, I don't think it is big factor for our environment. I simply found the variety of perspectives interesting especially as the responses broadened. Learned a lot from reading that thread.

Thanks,

Jack

I don't have any to trade yet, but i would like to get some varieties to graft to trees i started from seed last year, and will pay shipping or whatever.

I added some grin varieties and a few other scions to a 25 year old flowering crab last spring. the tree lost all of it's leaves by late summer. The tree next to it did just fine after grafting. Makes me wonder what happened, unless the flowering crab was just getting old.

I'm in search of the following.

Jonagold
Spitzenberg
Ashmed kernal
Newtown pippen

I don't have any to trade yet, but i would like to get some varieties to graft to trees i started from seed last year, and will pay shipping or whatever.

What varieties are you looking for.

Any good late drop crabs scions out there?
Got a new late drop apple plot going in this spring.
Trees this far will be
2 Yates
1 Arkansas black
1 golden hornet
1 I55 (wild mo tree)

Looking for suggestions on some other late drop trees that do well in Midwest. Got a handful of rootstocks to play with...

Matt I have Jonagold and Ashmeads Kernel for sure

Any good late drop crabs scions out there?
Got a new late drop apple plot going in this spring.
Trees this far will be
2 Yates
1 Arkansas black
1 golden hornet
1 I55 (wild mo tree)

Looking for suggestions on some other late drop trees that do well in Midwest. Got a handful of rootstocks to play with...

Kerr is a good pick.

I don't have much room left for full size trees but I would like to try Yates, Hewes Virginia Crab, and some of the PRI apples I don't have (Dayton, Priscilla, Sundance). I am also looking for the Perry Pear Barnett.

I can share scions of some columnar apple varieties if anyone wants to try those. For regular apples and pears, I have the list below. I have quite a few more that are 1st or 2nd year grafts that might have yield a bit of scionwood. If so, I'll list those later after I prune.

Apple Source
Bedan (cider bittersweet) cummins
Centennial Crab cummins
Dabinett (cider bittersweet) cummins
Dolgo Crab cummins
Elise Ratke GRIN
Enterprise cummins
Goldrush cummins
Honeycrisp cummins
Kingston Black (cider bittersharp) cummins
Lady Ilgen GRIN
Liberty cummins