All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunter Managed Herds

Ok.... Enough already Art!!!! :p
VIP room? VIP lounge?
VIP discussions-just a minute, we have had many of those.

Aaron, if your accepting village idiots, I'm your goober. I want in on the burger and beers!
Nice to have you back goober...was wondering if you were still alive. I literally just the other night mentioned that I had not seen you on the forum for awhile. Hope life is good.

BLB - You are always welcome at my campfire. Us Ottertail county guys need to stick together.

I am up for burgers/beers anytime the boss man hollers. Maybe we need to turn on the bat light to get his attention. I am however a short timer in your neck of the woods since I will be up in Perham fulltime shortly working and finishing the house.

I personally think if we educate hunters across MN that will make a big difference. Empower them and it will make a difference. Not too many years ago we were faced with this problem locally. We started talking to neighbors educating them on the how populations flux/important factors and the importance of balanced herd etc...and over time they are no becoming better managers...watching and managing their individual herds. I know some of you will not like to hear this but I bought them QDMA memberships so they could receive the magazine. We will not get everyone but getting a few here and there and it will grow with time. We will never be like IA, MO, SD, WI without hunting seasons change but I think we can get more deer on the landscape through trigger control.

What days are you back down here Aaron?

Jeff, whats your email or phone number in the event we hit up Hawks again? We could reach out to you if we set up something.

My email is mchristi@brocade.com if you want to just email me.

What days are you back down here Aaron?

Jeff, whats your email or phone number in the event we hit up Hawks again? We could reach out to you if we set up something.

My email is mchristi@brocade.com if you want to just email me.
I will send you an email. I will also include brooks and Jeff I have their emails as well.

10-4

I can't find Jeff's email must have accidently deleted it. I am free Sunday through Thursday evening this coming week. If we meet sunday evening I will bring along my FIL and he can help spread the word as well.

Found Jeff's email. Message on its way.

Aaron, I am PMing you Jeff's email.

I can't find Jeff's email must have accidently deleted it. I am free Sunday through Thursday evening this coming week. If we meet sunday evening I will bring along my FIL and he can help spread the word as well.

I have it, I will send it to Mark

I see you found it!

"hunting landowners"

That is very spot-on....... And one of my tough fights. The 160 next to us is leased and they could care less about anything other than shooting at all costs.
The actual landowner was told by another neighbor 2 years ago that the group hunting the land was a bit "over the top" for a lack of better words.
The landowner didnt care and said as long as they pay, they are free to do as they like to hunt deer.

This is the numbers example and story I have used. I know there are a lot of assumptions and its rudimentary but it shows what exponential population growth can do if the breeders are not killed off. I’m sure the experts have a better tool but I thought I would post it anyway.
Stacey, Lisa, Jake…Deer count at 3
Year 2 after letting Stacey walk she has twin again, Amy and Chuck
Stacey, Lisa, Jake, Amy, Chuck…Deer count at 5
Year 3 after letting Stacey walk she has one, Thomas. Lisa has twins, Candi and Dirk. Amy has one, Judy.
Stacey, Lisa, Jake, Amy, Chuck, Candi, Dirk, Thomas, Judy…Deer count at 9
By letting one adult doe walk it caused the population to grow from 1 to 9 or 9X in three years. Let’s be conservative and say over the three seasons all the bucks from Stacey are all killed and Lisa gets hit by a car. The count is still at 4 or 4X the population from 3 years ago, all because you let Stacey walk this year.
NOT Killing an adult doe(s) this season WILL make a HUGE difference on your property

Here it would go......

This hunting season you let adult doe number 1 walk. Let’s call her Stacey
Stacey….Deer count at 1
Year 1 after letting Stacey walk she was killed by a neighbor.
Staceys dead, but her 10 sisters are alive. LOL

Find out what they're paying and offer the landowner more

The ring leader has hunted it 43 years as of last year. There is a long standing friendship involved, so its not going to happen.

^^^if you've got does leaving your place, then either they weren't living on yours anyway or you aren't hunting in a low impact manner.

Or we have 10 trees on 120 acres and its mostly asparagus. Wuddya do, I still a heck ton of deer though.

Last edited:
Yep, reach the guys who own/control the land and hope they get on board. If the guy who is letting you hunt tells you you can't shoot does...then you can't shoot does (or whatever rules he/she wants to put in place). If you don't follow the landowner's rules...then find somewhere else to hunt.
If we reach the hunting landowners and they see results it will spread to some of the others. We will not get all however every little bit helps. Getting the word to them will be the tricky part. We start with all the hunting groups, seed dealers and media outlets we can etc...

Which would mean the does leaving your place likely don't live on your place...right?

Heck no deer don't live there, they just pass through and eat the rye fields and asparagus heads.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

43 years of slaughtering the local herd...good luck with that then :rolleyes: Some situations are "unfixable"

That sums it up. Its as big of a hack crew as you could ever imagine.

Lets see.....
-Several years ago, a guy shot himself in the foot climbing into his stand.
-I had a teenager come walking through the woods one day and walked within about 25 yds of my stand before he even noticed the big orange blob(me).... he was on our land and was wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt. Zero orange on him.
-they run ATVs any and all hours of the day chasing around dragging deer out
-guy that hunts closest to my stand shot a buck a few years ago. Told me he missed it(he emptied on it at no more than 40 yds as it ran by him). I found it dead a month later right on our fenceline. He obviously never looked for any blood.

ugh. They are the classic weekend warriors and give deer hunting a really shitty name.

That sums it up. Its as big of a hack crew as you could ever imagine.

Lets see.....
-Several years ago, a guy shot himself in the foot climbing into his stand.
-I had a teenager come walking through the woods one day and walked within about 25 yds of my stand before he even noticed the big orange blob(me).... he was on our land and was wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt. Zero orange on him.
-they run ATVs any and all hours of the day chasing around dragging deer out
-guy that hunts closest to my stand shot a buck a few years ago. Told me he missed it(he emptied on it at no more than 40 yds as it ran by him). I found it dead a month later right on our fenceline. He obviously never looked for any blood.

ugh. They are the classic weekend warriors and give deer hunting a really shitty name.

That is all something, but I got up from the toilet one morning a few seconds before a round from a 300 mag came through the wall of our bathroom 2" above the toilet seat.

Me not to happy with the neighbor that opening morning!:mad:

That is all something, but I got up from the toilet one morning a few seconds before a round from a 300 mag came through the wall of our bathroom 2" above the toilet seat.

Me not to happy with the neighbor that opening morning!:mad:

HAHA, are you serious? Your neighbor doesn't look like this does he?

full_cousin_eddie.jpg

Maybe I'm out of line or maybe I missed something here. I'm going to say something and I don't mean it to start an argument so please, please, please don't turn this into a bashing session. I am actually trying to help.

You are targeting Hunting Landowners or hunters who care - and preaching the practice of responsible herd management & habitat management.............ummmmm, well this sounds familiar?

Now before you guys send out the boys to string me up - I understand where you are coming from. Some organizations seem more geared toward a different region of the country and I get that. Some organizations have not been well received in the past or not have seemingly held up their end of the deal - I get that as well. Some organization have turned their back or refused to do anything. All I am saying is that there may be a real interesting template out there - it just may need to be modified to carry a more regionally specific message. I would never suggest using that acronym on here. However, there are some real strong similarities - just something to think about. Peal away the letters and open your mind - there may be some things there that you can really use.

We have seen how it doesn't work - you guys have first hand experience with that. So use that as an advantage, turn their weakness into your advantage. But also use their strength as your own as well. I would never suggest you guys joining that group - I'm dumb, but not stupid! All I am saying is there may be some places out there where you can borrow some ideas from and with a little manipulation make it work for you without starting from scratch.

I'll get my nose out of your business now.