Hunter Managed Herds

MI deer numbers (accept Middle and Eastern UP) are surely not in trouble. I know the recent CWD outbreak has the lansing area concerned and they are/will be whacking and stacking however i can drive around a square mile and count at least 200 deer just in the fields that I can see.

MI , me entire lifetime of hunting since I was 12 so 20 years there has been a ton of deer in my area. MI mindset for the most part has been a tradition of hunting, ethics of coarse not agreed upon but the core of hunting itself is.

I've accept the fact that I can't harbor a deer to get to age 4 or beyond, thats just chance itself taking place. I enjoy the heck out of hunting and the process leading up to it. I'm not sure it can be necessarily improved upon with they way we are here. APR's gave enough people a heart condition. LOL!

I talked to Christine and she said anybody can attend. I may drive out the night before and take in some of the fabled Conover happenings.

I may be chastised for this but so be it...I like DSD's point.... a discussion...

IMHO, as a guy with a technical/mathematical background, I'm not sure the map tells me anything. It definitely shows me a congregation trend of the total population at that given moment (winter). And that's it. Realistically, with the counting methodology employed, the congregation trend conclusion is weak at best. To say that sampling method has any kind of accuracy and use the data generated to extrapolate the total population is ludicrous.
Bump...Didn't want my questions to get buried. Just selfish I guess :rolleyes:
I think you have a point to an extent so I will throw out an idea for HMH. So far MDDI has done a good job with showing the lack of deer throughout the state as well as hunter disapproval with the Dnr. What if this current campaign focused less on proving population deficiencies but rather more on techniques to sustain higher populations on individual parcels. This is the direction I believe Brooks has planned but I will list some ideas anyways. Ads for tree planting/orchard techniques (sponsored by places like Big Rock trees, NCR, Itasca, Nurseries etc.) Ads with a deer habitat sample plan and hinge cutting techniques or habitat projects(sponsored by people like Steve Bartylla or Habitat Talk, Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine etc..) Ads with information regarding co-ops or simply advice on talking with neighbors to have common goals. Ads with browse information and carrying capacity info. Ads with a message of support to the effort from MDHA or other groups. An ad with a statement from dnr head saying they've encouraged hunters to manage their own parcels for higher numbers through food plots etc.(which they have)
I think if it is an interesting ad where people can learn something maybe less criticism will exist. Just a thought and trying to add something to the discussion.

I remain very suspicious of any state intervention and special attention to specific parcels. SE MN gets attention because of pockets of ag complaints. WI, MI, MO have hired personal to deal with similar issues in their states. No state seems to be addressing the low density areas.

Easiest message seems macro management is failing the majority of the MN hunters. If that inlcudes you, here are the tools to get you out of that cold pocket. MN DNR will respond with a micro tools (personel/programs) if hot pockets grow.

Its difficult for me to try and ignore the DNR's public fleecing because it is not going to stop. They will react. The current crew will not change their mindset, but they will react to any plans to grow the herd. They wont like it.

I think if it is an interesting ad where people can learn something maybe less criticism will exist. Just a thought and trying to add something to the discussion.

I have had difficulty bringing some above topics 'home' to many of our coop members. We did sell 175 apples trees one year.

deer habitat sample plan and hinge cutting techniques or habitat projects - (very few of those in coop have had at it. they are afraid. they dont have a plan. they need a plan and some in field tutoring. you need to get in there and help them property specific. you need to get them started.)

The best way to bring it to their 40 is bring it to their 40. I can pull up aerials for 15 guys and beat out an access/exit plan and suggest improvements for lines of movement for each property in 45 minutes, and then head to the field showing browse impacts for the area. Then we hinge some bedding/bockades/edge feather on a volunteers place and the boots are off and running in the area. YOUR AREA.

Problem is some dont want to share secrets with their neighbors. And no cooperation ever comes about. And no real improvement. Trust factor is a ball buster and a deal breaker for many.

You're spot on Brooks and it is a process that each individual needs to go through to get to the end game you're describing. My journey started when a friend inherited a property and he started food plotting on it and planting Apple trees and the deer responded very well. He taught me a few things I could do on a lease I had and I knew I needed to buy my own land. That took me to QDMA site where I learned a few things but didn't post and finally that led me here. Now my property will be inspected by guys I hardly know and it makes me nervous but it's the next step in the journey I've been on. Someone needs to plant that first seed in people and it may develop into something great.

I remember back when I was a kid it was always a big deal to go to a hunting/fishing seminar. Guys were so eager to get the latest info or tactics to make them a better hunter or fisherman. I suppose with new technology those days are long gone and I'm part of a different generation. Even an add in an outdoor paper might not be enough to harness someone's attention nowadays.

Even an add in an outdoor paper might not be enough to harness someone's attention nowadays.
I'm guessing you're pretty much spot on Riggs. I will tell you what will get the attention of hunters of all ages, Tiffypop! Laugh if you want to, but just go to a deer show once and watch the hunters flock around the Lakosky's booth, it is ridiculous, and they ain't there to see Lee! Find some hotties that are even the least bit known within the hunting world, get them on board and the hunters will follow their every move like a pack of lost puppies! Promotion of your cause by a couple females who are known within the hunting community will likely get you further than anything informative or scientific you could possibly provide to the Fudd's(well, I guess having some females on board is somewhat scientific, but the draw at that point would be based in the science of human biology;)). Yes, I am being serious!

You're spot on Brooks and it is a process that each individual needs to go through to get to the end game you're describing. My journey started when a friend inherited a property and he started food plotting on it and planting Apple trees and the deer responded very well. He taught me a few things I could do on a lease I had and I knew I needed to buy my own land. That took me to QDMA site where I learned a few things but didn't post and finally that led me here. Now my property will be inspected by guys I hardly know and it makes me nervous but it's the next step in the journey I've been on. Someone needs to plant that first seed in people and it may develop into something great.
I have had several get togethers at my place and have learned things each time. Large groups are harder to handle from my eperience.

I remain very suspicious of any state intervention and special attention to specific parcels. SE MN gets attention because of pockets of ag complaints. WI, MI, MO have hired personal to deal with similar issues in their states. No state seems to be addressing the low density areas.

Easiest message seems macro management is failing the majority of the MN hunters. If that inlcudes you, here are the tools to get you out of that cold pocket. MN DNR will respond with a micro tools (personel/programs) if hot pockets grow.

Its difficult for me to try and ignore the DNR's public fleecing because it is not going to stop. They will react. The current crew will not change their mindset, but they will react to any plans to grow the herd. They wont like it.

I have had difficulty bringing some above topics 'home' to many of our coop members. We did sell 175 apples trees one year.

deer habitat sample plan and hinge cutting techniques or habitat projects - (very few of those in coop have had at it. they are afraid. they dont have a plan. they need a plan and some in field tutoring. you need to get in there and help them property specific. you need to get them started.)

The best way to bring it to their 40 is bring it to their 40. I can pull up aerials for 15 guys and beat out an access/exit plan and suggest improvements for lines of movement for each property in 45 minutes, and then head to the field showing browse impacts for the area. Then we hinge some bedding/bockades/edge feather on a volunteers place and the boots are off and running in the area. YOUR AREA.

Problem is some dont want to share secrets with their neighbors. And no cooperation ever comes about. And no real improvement. Trust factor is a ball buster and a deal breaker for many.

I like Brooks idea, IF you can get to that individual with the intense interest in habitat like many of us.

Somehow we need to get to the general hunter who has not reached that level of interest or who may never reach that level.

Somehow we need to get to the general hunter who has not reached that level of interest or who may never reach that level.
See post #330.;)

I like Brooks idea, IF you can get to that individual with the intense interest in habitat like many of us.

They can quit after the access/exit planning portion and be leaps and bounds ahead of where they are now. Huge value.

Guys hunt private ground like public. Huge mistake. The dont know it.

lol, head south to Eagle River (probably the nearest hotel anyway) if you want to see anything. Stop at Blink Bonnie's between Minocqua and St. Germain on Hwy 71 for a 10 oz. filet mignon and hashbrowns on your way to Eagle River (about 35 minutes).
My dad raves about this place from his snowmobile days.

I can attest that Blink Bonnie's is the bomb as well! My wife has an aunt and uncle that live about 10 minutes from there and we eat there every time we visit them.

See post #330.;)
But the subject of 330 has to have some brains if you want the hunters to learn something.

But the subject of 330 has to have some brains if you want the hunters to learn something.
To a point I would agree, but not necessarily. You don't have to have the fair maidens teach anything, you just use them to grab the Fudd's attention and say that they support your cause, and then the smart folks take over from there. What is going to grab your attention first, a few young ladies coaxing you into listening to some habitat talk, or a half dozen growly old ba*st*rds telling you that you have been doing it wrong all these years and trying to tell you how to manage your deer property?

Exactly, the Tiffs of the world are simply "attention grabbers" (no disrespect meant). They get guys (and gals) to tune in to the rest of what is going on within a show/presentation. How many guys go to deer shows simply to see the "hot chicks of hunting"? A lot I bet.

Just good marketing
;)

This ^^^ and here is a prime example...this is the web page for DeerFest which took place a few weekends ago at the Washington Co. Fairgrounds. Look at who gets a ton of Billing on just the top of the first webpage.

Eva Shockey
Tiffany Lakosky
Taylor Drury

I am pretty sure they don't expect any of these young ladies to "teach" anything to anyone, yet here they are at the top of the "A" List of folks appearing at the show.

deerfest.PNG

For good reason. What would you rather look at? :D

vs:
attachment.php

Precisely my point!