Hunter Managed Herds

They will look at that map and note the numerous green 20+ circles. After sitting in the stand for 4 days and finally seeing a doe, the thought that there are 20 deer just down the road will be enough to allow most folks to pull the trigger.

The map shows too much good even if it does show a lot more bad.

So you propose what? Half the units have no deer and that looks good?

Stupid is as stupid does. You talk like the map is the only tool we are sharing. Its not.

If how you describe the people you are trying to convince is stupid, then you probably shouldn't waste the time.

I thought it was the tool that was being currently discussed. Never figured it was the only tool in the bag.

You talk like you do not want discussion. Imperial Batman.

If how you describe the people you are trying to convince is stupid, then you probably shouldn't waste the time.

I thought it was the tool that was being currently discussed. Never figured it was the only tool in the bag.

That was an edit. That suggests I welcome discussion and admit error.

So you propose what? What would your plan be to try and educate the 'stupid' of the world as I originally typed?

The time for discussion"criticism" is no longer in any ones best interest DSD. If you care about the problem enough to post in this and other Mn threads offer up a solution or at least an idea. The issue still brings out the heat in all of us but the new initiative is heading in a positive direction. DNR has been exposed for the fraud they are and now it's up to hunters to make the change.

DSD- four deer hunters saw the map on a cell phone, tonight. All were impressed by the map and we have a large wall copy coming.

The map with the aerial counts tells you something is wrong when it was done two months after the local manager had told us we had so many deer that we needed 7 or 8 doe permits each. Nothing on that aerial survey even justifies two doe permits per hunter across the whole area.

I have good friends in the DNR..... Even they question the DNRs big game management...... They question it BIG TIME.

If they question it, it pretty much solidifies everything I have learned over the past couple years.....

The MAP is a tool to be used to start a dialogue about the terrible condition of the Minnesota deer herd. There is no one thing that answers all questions about this issue. I do think a couple of bullet points that lead the reader of the MAP to a conclusion would help us specify the message we want to convey.

Different people will see different things when looking at data that's why summarizing it helps answer the questions they have when they read the MAP. Add the bullet points and people will get your message.

Data is only as good as the spin you put on it. Get "your spin" in the bullet points that Freeborn mentioned and make sure you have a rebuttal for all opposing arguments from someone who would spin the data the "other" way. You have already had enough "naysayer" points brought up by the guys right on this forum. Arm yourself with short one sentence replies to anything that would suggest that the hotspots relate to having deer numbers throughout the unit. Don't sound snarky or short, just present facts that will not allow the opposing arguments to gain traction. If they need further explanation at that point, then you can give in depth answers to their questions.

I have been reaching out to some prominent TV industry types for help spreading the message to the masses. Got this response back from one of the biggest. Love them or hate them, they have a lot of swing in the masses attitudes and actions.

"I have taken a similar approach to deer management and the way I give advice on managing deer. I don’t have the formal approach like you do, it is more of a thumb to the wind approach, but I agree 100%. Eventually, the department’s role (if it exists) will be to support landowners in the management of their herds rather than dictating broad outcomes. Basically, I think they lost us after the last decline.

Talk to ya later."

What did Lou call you when you entered the room with him in the past?

"Here comes the Marketer" ???
Little did the guy know how right he was....
:)

Tenacious you are wise one...... Awesome job once again.

What did Lou call you when you entered the room with him in the past?

"Here comes the Marketer" ???

Funniest story with Lou was an MBI meeting in St Paul. Lou wanted to know how many members MBI had:

Brooks 'between 12 and 13 thousand'

Lou 'No, I mean paid members'

Brooks 'yes - between 12 and 13 thousand paid members'

Lou got red faced and grumbly and we changed the topic.

Little while later I circled back and told him 'now keep in mind, between 12 and 13 thousand could be 14, it could be 15. Might be 100. But we have between 12 and 13,000 members.'

You should have been there. I was laughing pretty good.

Anybody want to go on a DMAP day land tour? I will drive.

dmap.png

I'd guess the vast majority of that area should have the same number of does harvested as my place....zero.

I want to see the WI DMAP suggestions in action. Thats why I want to go. MI, WI, MO have all hired 'coop advisors', as a response to losing control of the herd with recommendations that don't jive with landowning deer hunters. My guess is they won't be advocating for hunter friendly numbers. But I want to know.

What advantages would a co-op have to be part of DMAP or similar? A good co-op leader should be able to speak on every topic listed above. Will they give special attention to an area where a strong co-op exist? Or are they simply trying to get inside to influence?

Or are they simply trying to get inside to influence?

That is my suspicion as well. Fox in the henhouse.

I to am very interested in this. It's too far away for my schedule to attend.

DMAP explained in layman's terms...

You sign up for DMAP
DNR sends out "unbiased":rolleyes: Forester and Wildlife Biologist to "assess" your property
Forester and WBio make recommendations on habitat improvements for the specific property
Forester and WBio make harvest recommendation to landowner and issue the appropriate number of tags
Landowner kills the number of does the "unbiased" DNR personnel recommend
If you do not, you are booted out of the program

That is it in a nutshell, any other questions?

By the way, unless they changed something, I don't think just anyone can attend these functions. Last I knew you had to actually be enrolled in the WI DMAP program in order to participate or be there on behalf of or with an enrolled landowner. I don't ever remember hearing that any outsiders could just attend randomly. As I said, maybe something has changed?

So if the guy says you need to shoot 3 does and you dont want to do so, you are done?

wow. Not so sure Dmap sounds so fantastic.....

Correct, and you are right, not so fantastic. Although, if I were a Fudd, I would enroll, have them tour my land to make the habitat recommendations and then purposely not shoot the does to get them out of my business after that. Free land plan with no real repercussions, as there are no real "penalties" other than getting booted out of the program.