How often do you water newly planted fruit trees?

I've been really lucky this year and only had to water my trees once, and I believe that was in April or May. The longest spell we've gone without rain was 7/5 to 7/15. What size hole do you guys drill in the 5 gallon buckets?

My backyard nursery I've tried to slow down with the garden hose the past month or so and try to just use the rainfall as well, hoping they build good, deep roots. Do you guys think they'd be ok for 10 days or so at the end of the month? Temps look to be moderate, low 80s on average. I could soak the ground really well just beforehand. Could even lay a thin layer of mulch down?

They will be fine.

Mortenson - To answer your question of hole size in the buckets - I drill 3 or 4, 1/16" holes in the bottom, and put a brick or rock in the bottom ( not covering the holes ! ) so the bucket doesn't blow away once it's empty. I fill it to the rim with water. It drips slowly, soaks in & doesn't run off. I've never lost a tree.

On trees planted this spring,
I water once a week if hot an dry

Once every 2 weeks on second leaf.

I tend to drill the hole a little larger than most, an have found after testing a few different ways I like a singular hole on the side of the bucket just above the bottom.

Seems like something always plugs the holes if to small an on the bottom. Pain in the arse having to stop to clear them out. All of the trees I am watering have a weed mat so I like knowing the direction an flow the water is heading.

On trees planted this spring,
I water once a week if hot an dry

Once every 2 weeks on second leaf.

I tend to drill the hole a little larger than most, an have found after testing a few different ways I like a singular hole on the side of the bucket just above the bottom.

Seems like something always plugs the holes if to small an on the bottom. Pain in the arse having to stop to clear them out. All of the trees I am watering have a weed mat so I like knowing the direction an flow the water is heading.
I started with one but I’ve decided on three with 3”-4” in between . I figure I can get runoff to carch the back side so all 4 sides get covered.

I've been really lucky this year and only had to water my trees once, and I believe that was in April or May. The longest spell we've gone without rain was 7/5 to 7/15. What size hole do you guys drill in the 5 gallon buckets?

My backyard nursery I've tried to slow down with the garden hose the past month or so and try to just use the rainfall as well, hoping they build good, deep roots. Do you guys think they'd be ok for 10 days or so at the end of the month? Temps look to be moderate, low 80s on average. I could soak the ground really well just beforehand. Could even lay a thin layer of mulch down?

I drill 4 holes, roughly 9/64" and also learned the rock trick this year. It's important to weigh the bucket down to keep the side with holes at the correct angle. The exact size of the hole isn't critical, the goal should be to waste as little water as possible if the bucket is filled all the way up. I only do this once at planting and always manipulate the soil around the planting area to ensure the tree gets as close to 100% of the water as possible...no or very little run off.

Another point worth mentioning it to stagger your holes. I drill two very close (within 1/2") of the bottom and the other two a few inches higher. This ensures your tree gets to drink even if the holes become clogged with leaves or other debris.

How long does it take for your buckets to drip empty?

How long does it take for your buckets to drip empty?
8-10 minutes. I’m guessing I’ve never timed it.

I've never timed mine either, at least a few minutes. My goal has been to limit the amount of water that's wasted by running away from the planting site prior to being absorbed into the ground. The slower the better to a point. I'm guessing my buckets drain in 5 minutes or so.