How Good Of Shape Are You In?

Maddog3355

5 year old buck +
I think a good measure of how good of shape your in is how many tanks of gas can you run through your chainsaw. I have been doing some glade restoration and I have worked up to 2 tanks. I didn’t realize how out of shape(or not used to it) I was.

Is there any animals out there that can run a chainsaw all day?

Lol. It takes a while to build up those muscles. My back is what kills me the first few times out each year. There is no way I could burn up 2 tanks my first few outings, but by the end, I can don6 hours or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in 1 tank shape :).
The first few days anyway.

I did 5 - 6 hours with occasional short breaks a few times this spring. That was cutting volunteer sweet gums in rows of oaks. I was very tired each time at the end of it, but glad to still be able to do that much at 62. After about 58 I have been able to tell a difference every year in my endurance. I had to quit running a few years ago, and its been downhill ever since.

Last edited:
If I start to think I don't have proper control and technique, either physical or mental, I call it a day. I rarely cut more than a tankful.

I did 5 - 6 hours with occasional short breaks a few times last year. That was cutting volunteer sweet gums in rows of oaks. I was very tired each time at the end of it, but glad to still be able to do that much at 62. After about 58 I have been able to tell a difference every year in my endurance. I had to quit running a few years ago, and its been downhill ever since.

Well you're doing good. After 45 I noticed I couldn't burn all day and then work in the shop after dark. After 50 my occasional breaks equal my actual work time :).

But I'm glad to be still be getting it done. Just takes longer.

At 30 I was pissed when I didn't finish what I thought I should. Today I'm happy I finished Something.

My wife and I recently bought "October" a place at the beach. It's a house with 4 weekly rental efficiency apartments. Needs plenty of work. I'm starting to worry about having things done by June. And we already have renters:emoji_astonished:

If I start to think I don't have proper control and technique, either physical or mental, I call it a day. I rarely cut more than a tankful.

That's really good advise with a chainsaw. I have just put it down because I was alone and things were not getting easier.

Good to know when to say when.

Keep moving.....mentally and physically......

Too many of my buddies retire......then die

bill

Getting old is a trick bag......

physically you slow down

knowledge and finances go up

shame it couldn't have all happened at the same time!

Isn't that the truth!

I'll be 52 in two weeks. I run one tank, take a break, drink water. Run another tank, take a break, drink water and eat a small snack. When I get where I'm shaky, I quit. Pushed it this year clearing for a food plot. Run saw into my leg. Thank goodness I wear Kevlar chaps. Ruined them but I didn't get a scratch.

Cutting and pounding wedges all day for me. I think good technique, having a endless suppy of sharp chains, and the right saw for the job helps tremendously.
I'm 36 and I stay in just good enough shape.

Cutting and pounding wedges all day for me. I think good technique, having a endless suppy of sharp chains, and the right saw for the job helps tremendously.
I'm 36 and I stay in just good enough shape.

I was in good shape in my 30's as well, once 40 hit, is when I started to realize I am not able to do the same things as before. Mid 40's came, and my body started reminding me of all of my previous broken bones, and injuries. I will be 47 in a couple weeks, now I realize I can still do almost everything, in short bursts, but I still get sore. If it is something I keep doing over and over, I can do it longer, but I still get sore. Hell, even taking a day off, and relax, I get sore. I hate to see what my 50's, and beyond bring me!

I'm 45, a runner, and so long as I'm healthy log as much as 45-50 miles per week. I don't know of many folks my age (or 20 years younger for that matter) that are as fit. I thank God for my legs and my lungs every time I run...it's a gift I reckon.

At the same time I've noticed as the years go by that working on the farm has become far more deliberate and methodical. From hooking up equipment to the tractor to running a saw to dragging fallen limbs out of the roadway and everything in between. Both physically and mentally, it's a little bit like knocking out a 10 miler for me. I can't run string together a bunch of 6 minute miles anymore but if I pace myself can still go all day, make solid progress, and most importantly, not hurt myself.

I typically run 2-3 tanks when I am cutting. Like above, I take breaks, drink some water and some snacks. As a younger lad, I would cut and haul all day long. From a safety standpoint, the comment above about fatigue is so important. Most accidents happen when you get tired and sloppy. The first thing that bothers me is my back, proper form and sharp chains are important. I found a cure for my back issues, see below ... nephews that are 21 & 23 years old. The only payback they require are beer & steaks... usually a lot of both ... :emoji_wink:

wood cutting 2 20170211.jpg

wood cutting 1 20170212.jpg

I'm in shape....."Round" is a shape!

I go at a pace where I can be safe.... I tend to work by myself, so I don't run the saw non-stop. Usually 2 tanks of this is enough to call it a day.

I'm 45, a runner, and so long as I'm healthy log as much as 45-50 miles per week. I don't know of many folks my age (or 20 years younger for that matter) that are as fit. I thank God for my legs and my lungs every time I run...it's a gift I reckon.

At the same time I've noticed as the years go by that working on the farm has become far more deliberate and methodical. From hooking up equipment to the tractor to running a saw to dragging fallen limbs out of the roadway and everything in between. Both physically and mentally, it's a little bit like knocking out a 10 miler for me. I can't run string together a bunch of 6 minute miles anymore but if I pace myself can still go all day, make solid progress, and most importantly, not hurt myself.

Same. I am blessed with the ability to run, play soccer, ski backcountry, mtn. bike, etc. while avoiding most injuries at 48. The key for me is to never stop moving and lots of stretching. Having a career as a high school teacher also helps...home by 2:14 each day all summer off. With that said, logging takes a toll on me like it didn't just 10 years ago. I feel it in my legs and back. I can work all day on my land in the summer putting a solid 8 hour day and I can do it for 3 or 4 days. But then I need a break. Safety becomes and issue. I get tired and also mentally lazy...and that is not a good combination for chainsaw work.

I'm 36. I use to be a force to be reconed with but having 4 kids put a serious dent in my time to workout. My oldest son is 16 and the past two months I have been going in to the school with him to open the weight room and the gym for the wrestling team. I haven't touched a weight in 18 years so I made sure so start slow so I didn't hurt myself or be sore for two weeks after I started. I have been making great strides in returning my past strength. I wish I could hit the lower body harder but after multiple sports injuries having both ACL's, a MCL, and torn up cartilage repaired i cant push it to hard. That's on top of having a severe lower back injury and a dislocated hip and broken femur with a nice titanium rod now in place due to a couple work injuries. As of now I'm just working on building muscle and after the holiday season I'm going to add 3 days of cardio to my routine.

I use to run varsity track and had a good amount of success as a freshmen in the 400 yd. dash and 300 hurdles but my knee injuries in football and wrestling never let me compete in track again. I loved football and wrestling but I could have set some school records in track if I was able to compete longer. I'm looking forward to start running again and shed some dead weight.

I can still get plenty of work in the woods done but my back, knees, and hip sure pay the price at the end of the day. I have found that I'm going to hurt no mater how many tanks I run through so I just keep pushing on as long as time allows. At the end of the day I sit back with a bottomless glass of brandy or Canadian whisky and put a big smile on my face and reflect on a job well done and the countless jobs ahead.

Was in a lot better shape this spring that is for sure, pounds r back down to where I want them. But don't feel like running a marathon that is for sure.

Burn wood for heat, not many in the area still do.
Split with a maul, but the wind chill paired with darkness by the time I get home from work. Has resulted in some slacking in that department as well.
Glad I had 5 mid size stacks ready to go.

Birthdays coming up in 15 days, turn the page into the thirties. Not really sure what to think.
Guess Ill just keep planting trees with the hopes of one day seeing some SW & Burr Oak drop some acorns.