How Good Of Shape Are You In?

Was in a lot better shape this spring that is for sure, pounds r back down to where I want them. But don't feel like running a marathon that is for sure.

Burn wood for heat, not many in the area still do.
Split with a maul, but the wind chill paired with darkness by the time I get home from work. Has resulted in some slacking in that department as well.
Glad I had 5 mid size stacks ready to go.

Birthdays coming up in 15 days, turn the page into the thirties. Not really sure what to think.
Guess Ill just keep planting trees with the hopes of one day seeing some SW & Burr Oak drop some acorns.

You guys that burn wood probably stay in decent shape just getting your winters wood in.

It's cool to hear people's stories on working out and sports. i didn't realize we had so many runners here. I only get 10-20 miles per week in the winter, but bump up to around 60/wk in the summers. At 44yr old I've noticed recovery time is longer, and explosiveness is reduced. I can still go out for a 20 miler at any given time but it sure isn't going to be as fast as it use to be. I fought the age thing hard! Did repeats and hill workouts like I use to do when I was younger. Instead of getting faster I just get beat down.

As far as cutting wood goes; I can do 3 tanks pretty easy but usually don't have time to get that much done. Hunt, run, eat, and then I MIGHT have a couple hour to dirty a chain before the evening hunt.

At 59, I can still work in the woods all day ........ but at a much more reasonable pace !!! I take breaks and eat/drink to keep the fluid levels up. No alcohol while sawing - I only drink water, Gatorade, or fruit juice while doing woods work. Home made granola or granola bars & apples are the grub. I've never even tried smoking ANYTHING in my life - so that's a plus when doing any physical work. Working as an electrician in big construction for 37 years has kept me moving and in decent shape. At this point I like planting things more than building things.

I still burn wood for heat - 85% of our home heat is by wood fire. My wife and I enjoy watching the fire in the fireplace stove insert. It's a great relaxer and the wood heat penetrates everything. The wood is free and all it takes is my time in the woods ............. it's a tough assignment, but I force myself !!!!!!!! :emoji_wink:

At 50 yrs, I can go all day with my Stihl MS 150 C-E! Of course, it's only 6 lbs and has a 12" bar :emoji_muscle:. Since most of what I'm doing at my place is shrub, vine, and limb management, it's the perfect saw. We don't have much in the way of mature hardwood but for a tamarack grove and the dying ash. If I'm running my Dolmar, then I'm lucky to get 2 tanks before I'm whupped. And the forest clearing saw feels effortless until the next day, when I can't move my wrists. No bones about it, there's challenges to this stuff as you get older.

All you young guys are cracking me up. I won't even tell you what you have to look forward to, but you best keep your asses in shape now. I'm sliding toward mid 60s and yes I run 2 tanks thru cutting on mountain sides in half a day with ease. But thank goodness for Advil. And I work a desk job. Always played sports and always stayed active. Im here to tell you if you don't, you in for a rough road later. LOL.

Yeah, my dad is 65. Spent the last 35 years heavily drinking,smoking, and not active. Sorry to say but he's literally useless.

I can run one as long as I want knowing the longer I do it, the worse tomorrow will be lol. Usually after a few tanks I start to mellow out so that tomorrow is a functional day and not just an ouch that hurts type of event.

I'll run a tank and make reason for a break (20 mins or so) and run a tank and keep this up all day.....BUT I FEEL OLD OLD OLD AND BROKE BROKE BROKE THE NEXT DAY. LOL!

I'm 65 and can't relate to anything anybody has said here and I won't admit to anything else. I forgot what I was going to say.

Thanks, Ken

:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

I'm 55 and lift weights and do cardio 3-4 times per week. But, tree work totally kicks my butt and I'm a physical wreck the next day. I am sure to take Aleve on cutting days. Back to back cutting days are no bueno for me.

Having had 2 level disc replacement in my neck this past April, I'm not what I once was, but I'm MUCH better than I was a year ago. The numbness and tingling in my arm is gone as is much of the pain. Sitting at a desk is the worst thing for me (and that's my job). When I'm moving I feel better.

The surgeons wanted to fuse my neck and I refused. At 45 years old, I just couldn't stand the thought of fusion. After months of fighting the health care system, I found a surgeon that would do replacement.

I now have 2 of these things in me:
https://www.cervicaldisc.com

Here's a picture of my hardware:
disc-replacement.jpeg

Replacement isn't an option for everyone but I recommend looking into it if they are talking fusion!

-John

Hatha Yoga

Namaste'

bill

48yo here and noticed I've put on a couple of pounds in the past year. Starting up some lifting and cardio at the gym with the new year, then start running outside once spring gets here. Goal is to run a couple of 5k's next summer. Back in my college days I was a D3 all american in track(decathlon) and football(cornerback). Actually went to a couple of NFL team workout days, but didn't have the speed for those guys. Played lots of pickup basketball in the years after college, but haven't done much of anything since turning 40. Spent 10 years working about 60 hours a week in a pretty physical job so didn't have much energy for anything else. Now I only work 3 days a week with a much easier job, and the kids are grown and out of the house. No more excuses. Lol

All you young guys are cracking me up. I won't even tell you what you have to look forward to, but you best keep your asses in shape now. I'm sliding toward mid 60s and yes I run 2 tanks thru cutting on mountain sides in half a day with ease. But thank goodness for Advil. And I work a desk job. Always played sports and always stayed active. Im here to tell you if you don't, you in for a rough road later. LOL.

At 63 I have found that I can not play too long in the woods and still be able to get my work done the next day. 1/2 tank of gas is enough, otherwise my fingers/arm are numb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a huge effort to exercise these days but if I don't do it I can't continue to enjoy the things I like to do. There is no more running left in me but I still do a lot of walking. Tomorrow I may walk a mile, weather permitting. It is not too far but in three feet of fresh snow with no trail it will be difficult and is enough to maintain where I'm at if done a few times a week so that when the snow leaves, many miles a day most days will be still be doable and normal. Six hours of work accomplished in fair weather is a good day; it is not much but it is six hours still.

I'm usually good for at lease one tank, but never more than two. The rub is, it takes me a lot longer to get through that first tank these days. Lately, I've filled the tank and left the gas can at the camp. When I run out of gas, I've done enough for one day. Of course, I recently retired, so I don't feel the need to finish everything in one day.

I know a retired guy that sells wood. He burns a tank of gas a day weather permitting. That is a bunch of wood over a years time and keeps him in shape for a retired guy.

You bunch of wusses ..... I can run this puppy all day .....

IMG_2941.JPG ...... and catfish late into the evening :)

IMG_2942.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk