Honey locust question

nateb440

5 year old buck +
ive got a group of about 5 or 6 pretty large honey locust trees right in the middle of a bunch of Elms I'm planning on cutting down to shed some light on a bunch of young trees. What are your thoughts on honey locust? Should they stay or go? They don't seem to propagate like black locust.

Their the devil in tree form. Open up the elms and honey locust will grow.
At least around me. Heck they grow 2 to 3 feet in a bean field in one summer.
Honestly, I leave most of mine, cover is cover and I need all I can get.

If you want to get rid of them do a basil spray and let them die standing so they don't root sucker.
Deer around me do eat the pods, but still I hate those things.

David Osborn sells them. http://www.wildlifegrowers.com/Honey-Locust.html

You might see if he would sell you some scions and you could graft them... Just an option, not a recommendation one way or the other...

Thanks,

Jack

I agree with Bill, they are a scourge. If you let light in they will be everywhere. Cut them and spray the stumps, little locusts will pop up for a couple years snip them off and spray them too.
They make great firewood and good fence posts, the tops make good brush piles, the thorns can flatten the tire of a tractor or go through a boot.

In my hunting areas, honey locust pods are a pow'rful late season deer attractant. Good food source for December-January. I have planted several, and take care of wild ones when I find them. However, these areas are totally wooded, so the trees don't spread. If you have fields nearby, the HL can become a weed tree. I cut hundreds of them from our sheep pasture when I was a teenager. (That was back before the turn of the century.)

Well I'm out here cutting down trees like a tornado today. The locusts have been eliminated along with about 40 medium to large elms. I'm opening up a whole area close to my little orchard to try to get some light to all these Chinese chestnuts and oaks I planted. I was going to do some caging today but I'm having so much fun with the Stihl I think I'll just keep cutting. Enjoying this 75 degree February day for sure.

Do a search here on locust and should you decide to get rid of them, don't take shortcuts...if they sprout they can turn into a nightmare. Paint the stumps now and check on them every so often. If you see sprouts, take care of them pronto.

Last edited:
Some folks gate them, some love them. I have read that deer in some areas eat the "beans" they produce, while I have not personally seen that. They can do a number on an ATV tire as well.

I'm not sure about where you're at but in western Oklahoma they are a downright pain in the @&&. I've spent many hours eradicating them and the just pop up elsewhere. Deer round here do nibble the pods a little. If they try to come back I would kill them with prejudice. Just my experience.

-Brandon