Has anyone ever hunted low on a hill?

scoot52

5 year old buck +
Most of the time I hunt about a quarter or a third of the way down a ridge on a bench. I have a trail thats at a bottom of a ridge deer are using a lot. The trail runs parallel with a bean field and is about 15 yards into the woods. Would it be stupid to put a stand just above the trail? Access would be great and so would exiting the stand. The deer are bedding in a sanctuary over he hill on the west side and coming over to the east side down to the bean field. Just wanted guys opinions. Thanks.

This is the trail low on the hill I am talking about and the bean field is to the left.

My best stand is on the lower side of a hill. 100 yards from the bottom and a swamp, I thought it would be the perfect riffle stand to cover the swamp and still see 200 yards up the hill. As it turns out I have taken 3 bucks up hill and every other buck I have seen has been on the up hill side. I have no idea why but I see does on both sides but bucks only stay on the high side.

It would be rare with open stand do to wind swirling and thermals. The one exception I have work is ground blind to contain your odor from swirling and drifting.

I've hunted the bluff country near the Mississippi for years. No matter high or low the winds and thermals can be a challenge but that is part of why monster bucks become monsters in that area. On our piece the fields are on the high ground. We have tried hunting the bottoms with limited success. With our set up we have found it much less intrusive to hunt near the top.

There are times and places where it can be a great spot. I have one set on Iowa public ground where it's low and the thermals push right against a steep bank where few deer walk so that set up has been good to me. As far as the afternoon, you say you have good access, is that true the last hour when the updraft is gone? If so, you might want to hunt it in the evening but wait a little later before going in.

Just keep in mind if the deer come over the hill at you - you will be eye to eye with them! Hunting on a slope can be tricky (with a bow) as your distances are not as they appear so you need to understand that portion of it as well. Hunting high or low on a slope can have different results depending on the weather and time of day and the like. I also tend to try to not set up right on top of the trail as well. I look for a nice tree 20 yards off to one side or the other if I can find one. More than once I had a deer on me and the only shot i was ever really offered was nearly straight down the spine....after making that mistake a few times I try to avoid that situation now. I tend to try to hunt higher on a slope if I can simply to try to use the elevation more so to my advantage.

I gave up hunting down hill. Just can't keep the wind from swirling.

I do have a box in a bottom but we hunt with everything closed up to try and hold scent down.