All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Funny (I think) survivor deer story

kpj5br

5 year old buck +
Just saw MVs post and pics on that survivor doe still raising twins, awesome story.

I bought I would share the story of "chunks"

My brother in law Tony has a no-fence ranch in Texas hill country and I've been lucky to hunt there with him the past 6 or so years. He's a great guy and has taught me tons about hunting. And, since it's his place, he makes the rules. The couple of us who hunt it know them well (no small bucks unless clearly culls, no does until last 2 days, we make donations to local charity, etc)

Well, last year I arrived and he had an additional rule: He spotted an 8-point with a clear "chunk" missing out of his back from what looks like a high rifle shot. He got pictures of him and showed them to me and Craig the other hunter.

He was adamant: I named him Chunks, he survived that shot, he gets a pass on life at least on my land!

Ok, no problem!

Day 2 after the morning hunt and we met back at the shack. Tony was looking pissed and right as I walked up he almost broke down: "I made a mistake...I can't believe it...I killed Chunks"

I couldn't help but fall in the ground laughing - Craig and I have not let him live this down since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like something I would do. I almost can't stand hunting with a rifle. Usually in the woods you have to make your mind up in a hurry.

Great story - not so for " chunks " - but funny just the same !! Pass no opportunity to bust on one's hunting buddies. :D