FROST!

sandbur

5 year old buck +
The forecast and weather apps say 38 here, but there is frost on the ground and everything is in full bloom.

Same thing last winter, I run about 5 degrees colder than the internet temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we are told a well pruned tree that you can throw a cat between branches is quicker at producing fruit.

Which of these trees is more likely to have fruit after this frost?

91026604ab60f8943e70031a0c40fc46.jpg
7f28b65bbf70ec711fa4c95fb91b955f.jpg

The one with more leaf area will in terms of a damaging temperature. Keep in mind though that frost can form at 34 degrees, most damage according to the charts doesnt begin until 28 degrees or colder.

You make a good point about the pruning. Maybe this axiom comes from an area never battling frost.

You make a good point about the pruning. Maybe this axiom comes from an area never battling frost.

Perhaps some of those crabs might be better off with less pruning, if for wildlife.

A few years back, my only apples were crabs on the ‘inside’ of a chestnut crab that was pretty dense.

You may have a good point. Almost all of the crabs I've seen in pix on this forum and on other sites are pretty dense. If they were pruned - it was very lightly. And the fruit loads seemed to always be heavy. Greyphase's pix of his crab trees seem to always be hanging full, and the " Monster crab " posted by ( can't remember ) is dense and always loaded.

I don't prune anything in my crabs above 4'

This was from yesterday morning. I’m pretty sure I had some damage. This isn’t frost, this is ice. My phone said 37 degrees for a low.

CAD24050-516F-4D80-B775-756818E0AB77.png

That really sucks guys. We haven’t had a second or worry here in PA this year thank God. The only worry we still have is hail which has been a problem for some areas near me

Don't some commercial orchards spray water on the trees so it freezes to PROTECT against frost and freezing air temps. ?? I know I've read that in the past, but I don't know if it applies to all fruit trees.

Anyone ??

The frozen water doesnt protect the trees it is the freezing process (the release of heat by the water as it freezes) that provides a small degree of protection.

The forecast and weather apps say 38 here, but there is frost on the ground and everything is in full bloom.

Okay, lets get to the bigger issue that I keep making you Yankees aware of over and over. You message is dated May 20. We have roads, automobiles, airplanes, and lots of other ways to move your ass further south. Frost might pop up the last of March; but no one, I mean no one, needs frost toward the end of May. I know poor Chummer gets a thaw around July 1, and snow again July 20, but he is a special camper and can handle it. There rest of you need to head south tomorrow, not leave tonight and beat the traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Special camper :emoji_laughing::emoji_man_dancing::emoji_laughing:. I'm not far from Chummer...I want to be a special camper, too!! Yeah, we deal with a little bit of frostbite now and then, I may have lost one of my nuts to it last winter (does that qualify as a pun?) but man is it beautiful when things come together. If only you Southern guys would keep your global warming pine beetles, ticks and venomous snakes down where they belong, we could get back to enjoying our 8 months of winter. April was like Game of Thrones this year, with only the zombies missing. I swear I spotted the Icewall at one point.

Okay, I surrender, sign me up, I'm starting a GoFundMe campaign to raise enough for a bus ticket to Georgia. After bow season is over, though.

Okay, lets get to the bigger issue that I keep making you Yankees aware of over and over. You message is dated May 20. We have roads, automobiles, airplanes, and lots of other ways to move your ass further south. Frost might pop up the last of March; but no one, I mean no one, needs frost toward the end of May. I know poor Chummer gets a thaw around July 1, and snow again July 20, but he is a special camper and can handle it. There rest of you need to head south tomorrow, not leave tonight and beat the traffic.

We just might all show up on your door step on Dec 1 and spend the winter with you!
;)

We just might all show up on your door step on Dec 1 and spend the winter with you!
;)

not a pro

Not a problem we kill more big deer then than any other time other than the third week of October

My boat at Mille Lacs had ice on it Sunday morning at 6am like 4wanderingeyes car, but when I got home the apple and pear trees looked no worse for the wear. Crossing my fingers.

Well it may be a little early to tell, but last weekend prior to the freeze/frost I had several trees in bloom, this weekend, there wasnt a flower to be seen. It may just be another year of good tree growth, and not much for fruit.

I am two college bills away from being on a beach from Jan-March. I used to love winter but everyear I like it a little less. T-12 years

Now I am battling drought and just hope to keep my trees alive.