Getting Closer to an Ozark Chinquapin x American Chestnut Cross

Agreed.
I think the genetically modified trees were really pushed because they could scale up at a much faster pace than waiting for generations of trees to come to nut bearing age.

Well, it looks like my largest AC is toast! It's about 20 years old and just started producing over the last 2 years.

Attachments

• 20240303_143805.jpg
    20240303_143805.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 13
Well, it looks like my largest AC is toast! It's about 20 years old and just started producing over the last 2 years.
That's a bummer.
Hopefully it will continue to produce before the blight gets too bad.

Is there any value in chestnut wood younger than 20 ?

Sorry 4 your loss.

Hate to hear that.

Doesn’t look like that one has any blight resistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.
I think the genetically modified trees were really pushed because they could scale up at a much faster pace than waiting for generations of trees to come to nut bearing age.
They could be specifically engineered to make sure they all have blight resistant traits. With breeding programs, you never know which traits the offspring will get. Chinese trees don't have a specific single trait for resistance. Even with GMO trees, the scaling process involves growing trees and distributing nuts.