Frost seeding 2020

mikmaze

5 year old buck +
Thinking this will be some salvation for me this year, give frost seeding a shot for my clover plots that are in good enough shape that I think it is worth saving what is there. Of all my plots, 23 acres worth, I have about half that I think I can pull it off. I just am having a tough time figuring out how frost seeding is better than spring seeding for clover. The other half of my plots are n various levels from crop failure, to flat out foxtail won, and needs to be nuked a few times to knock back the seedbed. Deer at my spot love the clover, and I like it for the ability to help control grasses with simple spray, and control of broadleaf with mowing. Really at a crossroads and looking for suggestions at long lived perennial, big leafy reds, and for the rest of the plots a solid " draw them in, keep them here" plot that will feed them through the winter. Turnips seem so hit or miss, one year the rains are good, then like last year, no so great right after planting and it stalled my crop a month and ended up with sub ping-pong-ball fruit. Alot of questions built into this, Love to hear of a tried and true, or new and worth the risk. I'd prefer not to waste money on shipping, so something with a distributor within 100 miles is helpfull. I have a few in mind, but like to hear from the experienced, and the innovators.

mikmaze, Have had great results frost seeding entire plots and thinning areas in existing plots. I had always frost seeded clover until jbird described sowing in the fall with a rye nurse crop. I do both now with great results. I know a lot of guys swear by them but Ive never had any luck with turnips. Deer just pass them by. I have 3 white clover and chicory plots. One plot in soybeans, but I efence them until fall. Lots of work, but worth it. Good luck.

I've had decent luck frost seeding clover but my best clover plots has been fall planted with a cereal grain nurse crop. Every year when I plant my cereal grains around labor day I plant a clover mix with it most of the time the following July I'll plant a brassica mix into it by TnM, if things don't go well or something happens I can't get in there I'll still have a clover plot if nothing else.

Where are you Mikmaze (as far as finding a supplier local)? I get 90% of my plot seed from Merit Seed. Lots of good blends as well as straight species seeds. Even if you don’t order from them, you can check them out for ideas of types to try. I’ve shopped around online, and they are always right there, if not better with prices. Shipping isn’t crazy (if I add up gas costs as well as my time, $10-20 is worth it to me). I do get oats/wheat/rye locally.
I just frost seeded a plot yesterday (Alsike, Ruby red, and two types of Ladino clover, along with a little alfalfa and chicory). My thought of frost seeding instead of spring seeding is the seed is there and ready to germinate ASAP once weather warms, instead of waiting for plot to dry out enough to get into it in the spring and possibly missing out on prime germination/growth periods. I’ve frost seeded grass (as in KY Bluegrass and ryegrass) quite a bit for lawn purposes, always with great results. The same can’t be said for our grass/lawn seedings throughout the spring/summer season.

Last edited:
My frost seeded balansa was a flop last year. I have some left over that I am going to try again this spring. The best luck I have had frost seeding was was BOB clover (pure trophy from frigid forage) following a brassica plot. The plot was bare dirt in the spring and we got plenty of rain after seeding. That was one of the best clover plots i have ever had. I am not saying it was from the seed i used. More likely just had the perfect conditions.

Balansa needs to be fall seeded for good results.

Balansa will winter-kill — at least for us up north. I think it’s rated down to around 10 degrees F , so fall planting isn’t worthwhile for us.

I plot in Clinton NJ zone 6b. thanks for the input so far.

Fixation balansa will survive winters as far north as zone 4a provided it gets snow cover early in the winter and the snow lasts until spring.

not going to risk counting on snow, haven't had cover here in a month.

Reactions: DJN
Balansa isn't designed for frost seeding anyway. Ladino, white dutch, red clover - those are the recommended types for frost seeding.

I just wanted a fast establishing clover for N credit for fall brassica planting.

Berseem grows pretty quickly when spring planted.

I just wanted a fast establishing clover for N credit for fall brassica planting.
As far as quick covering just for the summer, I had good luck with Crimson and would think any of the annual clovers would be the fastest (and cheapest) to get it done. I’m going to frost seed a blend of Crimson, Fixation balansa, Frosty Berseem, and Arrowleaf Clovers at our place (zone 6a/5b) for the exact same situation you’re talking about. Have not used this blend yet, so we shall see how it does.

No need to pay the premium for Frosty berseem if you're going to use it as a summer N producer. Plain old VNS berseem will do just fine

My only thought with Frosty was being able to frost seed it, where a VNS berseem won’t work for that application.

If this weather keeps up it will be spring in two weeks anyway. I haven’t tried it yet but plan to add Gypsum to the clover this year. SD51555 swears by it for helping with many things including making it harder for the grasses to flourish. Do a search on his name and Gypsum lots of info on it.

should be saving my sheetrock scraps I suppose....... Although, I did work at the sheetrock plant in camden lat year, wonder if they would grind me a batch for pickup? landscaped their lot and good grief was that a pile of raw gypsum they had!

Neither Frosty or VNS berseem will germinate until soil temps are near 60. By then, a hard frost would be relatively unusual in most locations. Frosty does extend the season over VNS or other named varieties of berseem due to its increased cold tolerance. Most other berseems will get zapped right around the freezing mark.

I have overseeded with a variety of clovers into my clover plots as maintenance and for diversity. Also chicory. Not trying to be funny but thin and bare spots are more accurately seeded by overseeding than by frost seeding. I am a no spray guy and do mow clovers to keep them from going into reproduction. I have done the exact opposite in some areas to intentionally let them go to seed. A later, closer mowing will set back fall clover growth. You can plant brassicas into the mowed clover and the brassicas will use the nitrogen fixed by the clovers.

Reactions: DJN