Flail mower bs Rotary cutter

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
I’m doing some long range planning. I always said if I had one Do-over I’d have bought a compact tractor and not the ATV. The ATV has been great but I work it like a tractor and that’s just not what it’s designed for. The kids are all done with college, I have a bigger garage at the new house, and a compact tractor is on the list for next year. I still have storage space limitations And I’m trying to decide between a flail mower and a rotary cutter. You guys know my land a little bit. It’s a small property and the only mowing is my campground, my clover trails, keeping logging roads mowed, and the sides of the road/driveway going in, plus of course mowing my plots. I’ve got rocky forest ground But no more land clearing to do. I’m leaning towards a flail mower with hammer blades but I’m worried about the rocks. What are your experiences?

For 15 years or so I did all of my mowing...fields, logging roads, plots, etc....with a Farmall Cub and a 4' flail mower. Loved that thing. I sold the Cub a few years ago and picked up a JD 990 with a 6' rotary mower. Next spring I am going to sell the rotary and pick up another flail mower.

With sharp hammer blades you get a nice clean cut with a flail mower. Because it's not so long you can maneuver in tighter spaces. And because of the pulverizing action of the blades you leave behind smaller chunks of organic matter which decompose quicker. The downside is having to sharpen 120 or so little blades. If you have many rocks that you may find that sharpening those blades each time you strike a rock gets old.

Don’t know about the rocks. But my father had a flail mower when I was younger. That thing cut like a finish mower.

I’m doing some long range planning. I always said if I had one Do-over I’d have bought a compact tractor and not the ATV. The ATV has been great but I work it like a tractor and that’s just not what it’s designed for. The kids are all done with college, I have a bigger garage at the new house, and a compact tractor is on the list for next year. I still have storage space limitations And I’m trying to decide between a flail mower and a rotary cutter. You guys know my land a little bit. It’s a small property and the only mowing is my campground, my clover trails, keeping logging roads mowed, and the sides of the road/driveway going in, plus of course mowing my plots. I’ve got rocky forest ground But no more land clearing to do. I’m leaning towards a flail mower with hammer blades but I’m worried about the rocks. What are your experiences?
A flail is like the iPhone of mowers. It'll mow just like an iPhone makes calls. But used properly, and it can obsolete lots of other implements. I think you answered your own question. You're not gonna like the quality of cut for your campground that you get from a rotary mower. If you're not interested in throw and mow now, the bug will get you at some point. When that day comes, you're gonna be glad you have a flail mower.

I've really got my eye on one next year. Still gotta get the budget ironed out and decide what'll happen and what'll wait. I'm also on space constraints, so there won't be any big rotary cutters doing half arssed work around here.

I have never used a flail mower, but I know they don't take the abuse a rotary type will. They will cut great when taken care of and are smaller for tight spaces as well. I use a rotary because I am rough on things and at times am mowing over saplings and the like. I use a lawn mower around the house and farm lot for a nicer cut. Just pick the proper tool for the job.

I guess that’s the challenge - deciding which is the right tool. I’ve got my DR mower for brush and trail clearing. The tractor’s mower will be for food plot maintenance and general mowing. Trees, saplings, and brush aren’t my concern. I’ve gotten some good feedback so far. I probably should stop by a couple tractor stores and ask some questions.

I have a flail mower and love the thing! I think the flail is best for rocky or brushy areas---if you hit something it doesn't bend the blades. I have never had to re-sharpen any knives on the flail and I am tough on it.

I have a flail mower and love the thing! I think the flail is best for rocky or brushy areas---if you hit something it doesn't bend the blades. I have never had to re-sharpen any knives on the flail and I am tough on it.
Do you have knives or hammers?

They are "v" shaped knives that can be flipped to use the other side(haven't had to do that either).