New skid steer and brush cutter

Fallow Farm

A good 3 year old buck
I pulled the trigger on a new high flow CAT 259D3 skid steer (ok, compact track loader) and a used Vail 77” brush cutter.

The brush cutter should be able to handle any sized juniper (cedar) I throw at it. Up to 8”, although I see that they have done 12-14” trees.

I’m pretty excited to see what I can get done with this setup.

I pulled the trigger on a new high flow CAT 259D3 skid steer (ok, compact track loader) and a used Vail 77” brush cutter.

The brush cutter should be able to handle any sized juniper (cedar) I throw at it. Up to 8”, although I see that they have done 12-14” trees.

I’m pretty excited to see what I can get done with this setup.
Sweet! Is this a for hire venture or only for use on your own property?

That's going to be great for you. Congrats!

Sweet! Is this a for hire venture or only for use on your own property?
Probably just for use on my own property. If it was for hire, I would have gotten a 289 or 299 but the price difference was significant. $20k and $40k respectively.

If someone wanted to make money with these machines the 289 or 299 would probably be necessary paired with this cutter.

If I had the time, it would financially be worth it to get the bigger machines and hire out 2 days/month.

If I could do over I think I would have gotten that instead of tractor. Can do most anything you do with a tractor, plus a lot more.

I rent one every year or two for a month and get so much stuff done

Congrats and I’m jelly

If I could do over I think I would have gotten that instead of tractor. Can do most anything you do with a tractor, plus a lot more.

Congrats and I’m jelly
100% my thoughts as well. I have a JD 7800 and it is a great machine, but all I do is pick up stuff w it. Hay, dirt, gravel, pallet fork work etc. It pulls a plow and drill sometimes, but that’s it.

I’m selling it to pay for this machine. Skid steer > tractor for 95% of farm work.

I bought a smaller 8’ plow. The plan is to weld a hitch on the CAT and weld an axle w hydraulic cylinder to lift/lower it and I’ll be set to do smaller plots of 1-2 acres … in theory.

The ride isn’t as nice as a tractor, so we will see how this plays out.

Congrats and I’m jelly
My wife actually threw out the idea of buying one when I finish paying off the tractor in a few more months. I think renting for a week a year will be better in the long run. Alot of money to spend on something I wont use that much and I have heard getting timely repairs at a reasonable cost is unheard of with these machines now a days.

Very nice! Looks like it will handle that cutter nicely! We got a 242D a couple years ago and a Skid Pro 72” HD cutter. It is probably a little too big for our machine. Very front heavy. So much so that I almost don’t use it. Yours looks like the right setup. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You went with a brushhog. I've considered a brushhog but am strongly leaning towards a flail mower. What factored into you decision to go with the brushhog?

I've used both tractors and skids for a long time. If I had to pick just one to have on the place it would be a skid by a long shot.

Very nice! Looks like it will handle that cutter nicely! We got a 242D a couple years ago and a Skid Pro 72” HD cutter. It is probably a little too big for our machine. Very front heavy. So much so that I almost don’t use it. Yours looks like the right setup. Congrats!

I talked to the Skid Pro guys. Very reasonable cost and solid machines. They were on my list until I found this used one.

Mine is a bit heavy for this machine at 2300 lbs, but the price was right. $14k new, I paid $5500. I could probably sell it for more right now. Vails are high priced units.

You went with a brushhog. I've considered a brushhog but am strongly leaning towards a flail mower. What factored into you decision to go with the brushhog?
Price. These are 1/2 the price of a forestry mulcher but can still do what I need.

It would be cool and I’d get more done, but at $20k (+/- $5k) I couldn’t justify it if I’m not running it 15-20 days a month.

That's a awesome machine. Love the cat skidsteers. They are built like a tank. That thing should make work on your farm alot more enjoyable.

Price. These are 1/2 the price of a forestry mulcher but can still do what I need.

It would be cool and I’d get more done, but at $20k (+/- $5k) I couldn’t justify it if I’m not running it 15-20 days a month.
I meant a flail mower with hammer blades, not a forestry multcher. Those multcher are awesome but like you said EXPENSIVE, way out of my wallet range.

I meant a flail mower with hammer blades, not a forestry multcher. Those multcher are awesome but like you said EXPENSIVE, way out of my wallet range.
Every brand and style I saw was either the flat style or the forestry mulcher style. But, I also don’t a lot about these brush cutters. I just googled “best brush cutter” and wound up with a list of 5 or so that I would consider.

CAT was $18k, Vail $14k, Virnig $13k, Skid Pro $8-$10k and some other good ones were $7500-$8500. Under that price I’m sure great ones exist, I just didn’t find one.

That's a awesome machine. Love the cat skidsteers. They are built like a tank. That thing should make work on your farm alot more enjoyable.
I’m using it a lot and haven’t even hooked up the cutter yet! The best machine for a farm and ranch, hands down. Almost any heavy work can be done by one of the dozens of attachments.

And the precision on the hydraulics is clutch. Dang near surgical. We can clean pens and such with the JD 3010, buuuuut it leaves a bit to be desired.

I’m using it a lot and haven’t even hooked up the cutter yet! The best machine for a farm and ranch, hands down. Almost any heavy work can be done by one of the dozens of attachments.
100% agree on most useful all around tool for a farm. Great buy!
IMG_0755.jpeg

II used the brush cutter to clear out the brush on the sides of the roads on the ranch. Got about 3 miles done. Was pretty pleased with it! But, I couldn’t help but think it was a little sluggish. But, I had no frame of reference so I just kept destroying trees.

Called the CAT dealer and he did some research. Turns out, I was given the wrong jumper plug and high flow was never engaged.

That is an incredible testament to the ability of this Vail cutter. I can’t wait to try it on high flow. IMG_5077.jpegIMG_4762.jpegIMG_4765.jpeg