All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firsttime Trying Soybeans

Whip to answer your question I haven't really looked to see if it has been browsed. I haven't spent much time looking at the plot lately except to change camera cards about every 2 weeks.

I'm starting to to evaluate if this plot has been a success. I think it has been to some extent.

Somewhere along the line I said the goal for this plot was just to see if I grow beans or not in a small plot. The beans are now starting to yellow a little so the plants themselves made it, although the deer are still hammering it. I need to go back and look at bean production. I dont think there has been "good" pods created. There are pods but they are small. I don't if they are small because of the browse pressure on the leaves, or maybe not enough fertilizer. Overall things turned out OK

There are a few things I wold do different if\when I plant beans again.
1) Make sure I have enough time to spread the seed and pack them in good. I ran out of time planting before the rain started. Only half the plot got packed which seems to be the best part.
2) I waited to long to spray & missed a corner of the plot. That corner of the plot was terrible.
A) I think I need to spray earlier, and then spray a second time.
B) I probably need to have more gly on hand to make a heavier application and not having to worry about running out before I'm done
C) I need to wire a plug to the back of the tractor for the sprayer so I can avoid the redneck hook up I used this year.
3) I would not plant the back corners to beans again unless I open them up a little more. This the section that had lots of smartweed in it and also moss on the ground.
4) Milo granite - I never did apply any..I'm sure the plot could have used the extra fertilizer even if it doesn't keep the deer of off it. If it keeps the deer out a few days all the better.

The soybeans have ran their course. There may be a few pods left here and there.

The over seeded PTT only got to be about the size of by thumb, there is also a little volunteer clover in there.

I'm still getting a good amount of game camera pictures here.

The soybeans have ran their course. There may be a few pods left here and there.

The over seeded PTT only got to be about the size of by thumb, there is also a little volunteer clover in there.

I'm still getting a good amount of game camera pictures here.

In all reality that's what really matter anyways

In all reality that's what really matter anyways

It is if they are still hanging around in a few weeks when gun season starts. Last year gun season came and they basically had abandoned the clover growing here...but last season was cold and it snowed 4 inches on 11/11....

It is if they are still hanging around in a few weeks when gun season starts. Last year gun season came and they basically had abandoned the clover growing here...but last season was cold and it snowed 4 inches on 11/11....
Yep last year because of the snow, by gun season they had abandoned a small rye plot of ours. That plot was browsed down to 2-3" tall before the snow came. However they were hammering our turnip plot during gun season.