All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firsttime Trying Soybeans

Beans are looking better than I thought they would. I will have to wait a week or two to see how the turnips and radishes will look.

The late planted beans have some grass problems. Should have sprayed round up when I spread the turnip and radish seed. Now it's too late I think. I would be scared to spray clethodim because I would have to be super careful the drift didn't hit the corn right next to it.

The late planted beans have some grass problems. Should have sprayed round up when I spread the turnip and radish seed. Now it's too late I think. I would be scared to spray clethodim because I would have to be super careful the drift didn't hit the corn right next to it.

I think I learned my lesson on not spraying roundup ready food plot before over seeding. Lots of grass in here now.

Still some beans hiding in the grass.

closer to the fence the plot has a little less grass

I was surprised to see how big the turnip is. There were some turnips planted last year in this spot, so maybe one of those went to seed. Doesn't seem like anything I planted this year would be this big already.

Other turnips and radishes over seeded in the plot.

The plot I planted earlier and actually sprayed is looking nicer.

Not seeing any beans or flowers, not sure if I will get any pods.

I only sprayed once and there is some other plants in there.

Something with a purple flower, a bushy grass and some clover is popping back up

It was harder to find over seeded turnips and radishes in this plot. The soybeans must have to good of a canopy for them to really take off

I've seeded rye, oats, brassica and radish into my standing beans. I've really had mixed results on the germination when doing this. A couple of my plots have come in like gangbusters......while others have not.

I'm trying to understand why that is. I did spray my plots prior to overseeding. I have experienced this several times now with mixed results......and just don't get it.

I've seeded rye, oats, brassica and radish into my standing beans. I've really had mixed results on the germination when doing this. A couple of my plots have come in like gangbusters......while others have not.

I'm trying to understand why that is. I did spray my plots prior to overseeding. I have experienced this several times now with mixed results......and just don't get it.

Soon as you figure it out Tom, let us all know. It is just the way it is. But I know I would rather throw the seed out there and try than leave it in the bag!

I dont know about yours, but we did this same thing this year. My brother tried broadcast right into it, and it didnt come good at all. I think the deer have been in the beans so much that they created a lot of compaction and sunlight is cooking the ground. They would especially hammer it right after a rain would sprout some new vegetation. I tried pushing a stick in and it was very hard. The exposed topsoil kinda looks like it was thrown in a kiln. It seemed to me like the broadcast seed just laid on top and got nuked by the sun. We probably didnt help matters much when we planted. It was pretty sticky when we worked the ground, but it was the only chance we had so we did it.

I replanted it about 10 days after him and hooked a heavy pounding rain within a few hours. I am guessing that got the job done. I will know in about a week.

I think the grass you have in your plot is fall panicum, we have it reallly bad in a couple plots.

^ I'm sure a crust on the topsoil could make a problem. But it doesn't have much rhyme or reason to me and my soils. I've seeded just before some perfect rainfalls and still had a poor result.

I have considered buying a cultivator to work between my bean rows and get the soil prepped for overseeding. I'm sure it would be a huge benefit.

I have been planting between my 30" rows now (thus 15" rows prox)......but could still cultivate some of the crops under prior to overseeding the remaining beans. .......or simply keep 30" rows in the future. I think I would get "assured" results from that work.

I just hate the idea of cultivating, especially if your soils are that light. Most years rain is much harder to come by later in the season and opening the soil is only gonna help to dry it out. In a perfect world money would be no object and you would have a little no-till drill set up to interseed between the rows.

or

How awesome would it be to have your mix encapsulated in a little fertilizer ball and then you could just plant with your corn planter. I know that is how they plant sugar beets, only it is not in fertilizer, it is just something they can use to get the seed size up and plant with a corn planter.

How awesome would it be to have your mix encapsulated in a little fertilizer ball and then you could just plant with your corn planter. I know that is how they plant sugar beets, only it is not in fertilizer, it is just something they can use to get the seed size up and plant with a corn planter.

Your starting to sound like that Crimson guy and his Japanese seed balls.

I went back to the plot today to add some organic fertilizer (rabbit crap) and looked at the back shady corner. Turnips and radishes are more noticeable back there.

Does moss indicate low PH, a soil type, or just a dark shady wet spot?

I went back to the plot today to add some organic fertilizer (rabbit crap) and looked at the back shady corner. Turnips and radishes are more noticeable back there.

Does moss indicate low PH, a soil type, or just a dark shady wet spot?

All of the above. Someone once told me to get rid of moss....Add more sun and lime.

I have moss in a plot that tested to be 6.2. It is a plot that only gets mid day sun.

It is mostly about excess shade, which directly contributes to excess moisture, which indirectly can lead to compaction. Open up that area and let the sun dry it out a bit.

Sorry for the fuzzy picture, this is the back corner...looks like this area should have been sprayed more than once.

Front part of the plot looks better

Beans are forming

some areas showing heavy browse

20150906_161141_zpsgharneih.jpg
[/URL]

I LOVE BEANS!

Tried to come up with some to throw in some fall plots but ran out of time to chase it down so settled on peas

Sorry for the fuzzy picture, this is the back corner...looks like this area should have been sprayed more than once.

As was pointed out to me earlier in this thread, I pretty sure this is smart weed.

It is, and deer have been known to like it, all things considered. Are you seeing any browsing on it?