All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firsttime Trying Soybeans

The food plot got some unneeded pressure Friday. Looks like the cattle spend about 2.5 hours in it.

Here is the last daylight picture before the invasion, and then the first after:

I wasted most of Sunday at an auction. I thought it was suppose to rain all day, just rained in the morning. I did finally get my second spot tilled a little, I will be testing Steve's late bean theory it looks like. If the weather cooperates I will spray the existing plot Wednesday evening.

Consider some sunflowers in the late bean mix

Are those your cattle?

Consider some sunflowers in the late bean mix

I think I may have some sunflowers seeds left from last year, if the kids haven't fed them all to their rabbits. Only concern I have is if I want to spray the beans with gly they will die out. On the other hand maybe the deer will focus on the sunflowers and leave the beans alone and they may be none left when I want to spray

Are those your cattle?

They are my father-in-law's cattle. While I would rather they didn't get into the plot, I'm not really mad about it. I get a free side of beef every year, just pay the butcher.

Can I broadcast soybeans and till them in, or are they too fragile for that?

I broadcast and then use disc to cover them.

Can I broadcast soybeans and till them in, or are they too fragile for that?
You should be fine. If you are broadcasting, you should be upping the seeding rate accordingly anyway, due to germination losses from a multitude of things. A percentage of seed breakage from tillage will just replace the losses you would see from birds eating them if they were left on top. We used to disc them in like TT does and never really had any issues at all(other than the deer eating them to the dirt 3 to 4 weeks after planting:mad:). You would stand the risk of losing just as many with a disc as a tiller. Just be careful that you don't have the tiller set too deep. An inch, or two at the most, should be plenty for the depth of the tines.

Thought you guys would get a laugh out of my redneck wiring. A plastic hood is good for something. Ugly but it worked.

Got the second soybean plot in - a view from each end.

Some deer that came out in the adjoining corn field while i was working

Last edited:
I missed a good size section when I sprayed, you can see it very easily in this picture.

Here are some shots where I obviously did better. I'm noticing that some of the shady spots are looking pretty good still.

The new section has sprouted and needed the rain we got last night. They are little thin looking, hopefully some more will still sprout.

I will probably over seed with some turnips and radishes soon.

Bingo.

I'm traveling the next couple weeks for work
So do I wait for a high percentage chance of rain on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. ..or spread my brassicas seeds and hope for the best?

I'm traveling the next couple weeks for work
So do I wait for a high percentage chance of rain on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. ..or spread my brassicas seeds and hope for the best?
I say get it down and hope for the best. Sometimes when working with a tight schedule and waiting for the sure thing you miss a soaker that pops up. If you end up with 2 or 3 rains in the next week or so you surely don't want to miss out on any of them.

Get it down when you can. I overseeded brassica into beans yesterday on my neighbor's plot with the hope that one of the 20-30% chances of rain in the next week or so would turn into a decent rain. Got lucky yesterday when the 20% chance turned into a 40% chance...then turned into .6" of rain :). Should be good to go.
Your seed won't disappear (at least most of it anyway)...get it on the ground
How many pounds per acre are you guys using when you over seed soybeans with brassicas?

How many pounds per acre are you guys using when you over seed soybeans with brassicas?

6-8lbs per acre

We overseeded our small soy plots with 10lbs per acre, but that was because we would end up having no soys left after the first month, so it was like a straight brassica plot after that anyway.

I went with around 9 lbs. on 1.5+ acres. Maybe a bit light, but I wanted to give the remaining beans a chance to grow if the deer give them the chance to do so.
IMO, 6lbs per acre is more than sufficient if you have any amount of beans at all left in those plots for the exact reason you stated. If your beans get eaten to death, the increased spacing of the brassicas should allow them room to get huge, so either way it isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
The plot seems to be stunted at the current height. Lots of browse pressure I guess.

The newly planted area is coming along.

I over seeded turnips and radishes in both areas yesterday.

Can anybody identify this plant? It's growing in the back detached corner of the main plot that I never bothered to spray.

Another thing I just thought about after looking at those pics, since this is your first time with soys, pay attention to the differences in the growth in the shaded areas and the parts of the plot with full sun.

I noticed moss growing in the shady parts of the plot yesterday...