All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firebreaks

nchunter1989

5 year old buck +
What do y'all normally do with your firebreaks??

We already have some trails established, widening them out in a few weeks for a burn later in winter. Thought about planting a grass or just disc before the burn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used to plant clover fire breaks around my native grasses. But I was always to afraid to burn so I kinda let them go.

I don't put any perennial grasses in them. They will accumulate thatch at ground level that the fire can creep across the break on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on location. Clover will attract deer. If it is a fire break that you are using as an access trail you may not want deer attracted there. Clover is fine as a firebreak but you need to keep it mowed. If it doubles as a road for us, I'll generally use a rear blade or box blade to clean it before a fire. This also helps keep the road shaped so water runs properly. If it is just a fire break, I will disc it before a burn instead. Lightly disking (strip discing) can be a great management technique for many birds (and deer). You can think of discing a firebreak as just one big strip.

Thanks,

Jack

It depends on location. Clover will attract deer. If it is a fire break that you are using as an access trail you may not want deer attracted there. Clover is fine as a firebreak but you need to keep it mowed. If it doubles as a road for us, I'll generally use a rear blade or box blade to clean it before a fire. This also helps keep the road shaped so water runs properly. If it is just a fire break, I will disc it before a burn instead. Lightly disking (strip discing) can be a great management technique for many birds (and deer). You can think of discing a firebreak as just one big strip.

Thanks,

Jack

Yeah I had also considered a ground sterilizer like Ortho Groundclear or RM43, at least in the flat areas. It will be used as access as well, but only for very light atv & foot traffic.So clover or whatever grass may already be there but watch for thatch.Looks like dragging a spike harrow through it would also accomplish the same as discing to a point.Just thinking long term, what we will need before burning.Guess renting a tractor & disc once every year or so isn't too bad in the grand scheme of management.

Are you asking about firebreaks in pine plantations or firebreaks around a prairie? I just mow my firebreaks in the pines but I do not burn in my pines either. On my prairie, I normally disc them every year or let them stay green and mow once or twice. This year I hit them with gly and had RR ag soy beans no till planted around the entire prairie. I have lost the ability to travel on them for now, but the beans are doing great and I know they will draw deer and turkeys. They are a real hot item when all the other farmers beans and corn in the area are harvested.

Last edited:
This isn't for fall burns but for regular spring burns of NWSG I mow in Jan or Feb and it will be the first thing to green up and make for a good firebreak

Are you asking about firebreaks in pine plantations or firebreaks around a prairie? I just mow my firebreaks in the pines but I do not burns in my pines either. On my prairie, I normally disc them every year or let them stay green and mow once or twice. This year I hit them with gly and had RR ag soy beans no till planted around the entire prairie. I have lost the ability to travel on them for now, but the beans are doing great and I know they will draw deer and turkeys. They are a real hot item when all the other farmers beans and corn in the area are harvested.

6yr old Clearcut. Pine regen mixed with hardwoods.

Most of my firebreaks are also used as roads so they're kept in a grassy state.

I shoot for bare dirt if I can. I do this to the point of running a 2 bottom plow or disc is I have the chance. Most of the areas I burn will lead either into the woods or crop fields and trust mean corn stalks may not flare up, but man do they burn hot! I like to burn with a fair amount of moisture in the ground and as such I tend to not have issues of it going into the woods as it tends to be even damper there. Most of mine are used for vehicle access as well.

We just keep ours mowed on a monthly basis during the growing season. Never have a problem with fire creeping through them. (WSNG situation)

Yeah I'm looking at possibly a mix of bare dirt on some areas & a grass for erosion control in the others.A large section of the breaks cut around 3ac of woods on a plateau, already have erosion issues from the timber harvest.

Upgrading to a 500cc 4wd atv soon, so may pickup a groundhog max & see how it works for the breaks.

Last edited:
Thoughts on ryegrass (not cereal) for the firebreaks ?? It's low ph sandy soil, so doubt I can get a clover to grow there in significant amounts.

Thoughts on ryegrass (not cereal) for the firebreaks ?? It's low ph sandy soil, so doubt I can get a clover to grow there in significant amounts.

Grass=thatch, or what burn managers refer to as fine fuels. You will have to freshen them up before you burn to break up the fuels that will grow there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are able to keep them mowed on a regular basis is wont be a problem