All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drilling grains into standing clover

bossgobbler

Yearling... With promise
Howdy everyone! I am set up and ready to use the no-till drill to plant some wheat, rye, and oats this week.

For reference I am in southeast Ohio.

I will be planting roughly 2 acres of a blend of wheat, rye, oats, turnips, radishes and clover. I’m renting the county no till drill for $100. I can plant anywhere from 0 to 12.5 acres for $100. Currently I’m only going to be planting 2 acres.

I have a separate field that is currently a nice stand of clover. I’m wondering if I could drill my cereal grains into the clover with any success? I don’t want to mow the clover any lower. It’s probably 12”-18” right now. I have plenty of seed. Any opinions out there? I was just going to broadcast it into the clover in early September but if drilling it is effective I will go ahead and do that this week.

Thanks for any advice!

A couple tips. You are a little early for cereal grains, it may get too rank by the time you want it. Great time for turnips, radish, rape, etc. Also, if I had to choose, I would drill the brassica into the clover, over the cereal grain. But, I don't think you'll have much planting anything into 12-18" clover. If you're going to stick with drilling cereal grains into the clover, wait till labor day and mow it shorter then drill.

I have drilled a similar mix into my clover, alfalfa field with good results.

My clover is not as tall as yours and I typically Drill when mine is recently cut, 7".

I'm not familiar with your Drill but I would talk to the county and get their input on how well it will perform in 12-18" clover.

I would not worry about roughing up your clover as I have found clover responds well to light discing.